G35 Sedan V36 2007- 08 Discussion about the 2nd Generation G35 Sedan 2007 - 08

Is there a REAL performance advantage of the 2nd Gen over a 1st Gen sedans?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-11-2008, 07:15 AM
Received 21 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by brownfv
the HP numbers might seem similar, but its the efficiency of the engine and how much power it actually puts down. the stock 2nd Gen 6MT's are probably putting down 260 WHP on a dyno...no stock 1st gen can come that close.
+1, most 1st gen sedans and coupes alike dyno'd around 230-245 stock...anything higher than that and you had a factory freak. The new VQ35HR motors are dyno'ing anywhere from 260-275. Everything about the HR is superior to the DE.

Last edited by chilibowl; 04-11-2008 at 07:58 AM.
Old 04-11-2008, 08:00 AM
Moderation-free
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by jl114
It's actually not 298 vs 306. 298 was based on old guidelines to rate HP. New guidelines changed and it was rated 306. Assuming the old engine was based on new guidelines it'd be significantly lower, or vice versa. I havn't seen anyone with the HP difference based on same guidelines though, I'd be interested to know too!
IIRC, under the new SAE guidelines the 1st gen drops down from 298 to 293 HP. Still not a big difference, but as always, it's area under the curve (plus gearing, etc.).

Old 04-11-2008, 11:40 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by chilibowl
+1, most 1st gen sedans and coupes alike dyno'd around 230-245 stock...anything higher than that and you had a factory freak. The new VQ35HR motors are dyno'ing anywhere from 260-275. Everything about the HR is superior to the DE.
So there is a roughly a 30 hp difference. Is that significant technically? Because the reason I asked that one is the G37 is about 30 hp more than the Second Gen and it's not "Much" faster when I was looking at the videos from edmunds. (102 mph through the 1/4 for the coupe and 101mph for the sedan). I was always told that 1/4 mph speed is an indicator of hp to a car??!?!? I would expect something bigger than just being slowly walked away of 30 hp difference between the two cars.

I would love to see a stock first gen (apparently the video I found was not a stock first gen) -vs- a stock second gen on a track..and be great if it was sometype of road course.

Something is amiss in my mind because perhaps Nissan is sandbagging it's claim of the HR motor or was over claiming the figures of the non-HR motor.

Old 04-11-2008, 11:53 AM
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Peak HP is not the only determining factor.

Consider the area under the curve, and of course, power/weight and gearing.

The new car makes more power, and has a higher redline, allowing for more agressive gearing.

The slight weight penalty is more than offset by the HP and gearing gain.

Old 04-11-2008, 11:57 AM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
"Faster" in a quater mile does not tell you if the winner has a faster car. It means he's a better driver, better tires, track condition = better launch. "True" power is measured at the dyno and even then the numbers still fluctuate depending on conditions and it does not take the weight of the vehicle and driver in to consideration. This is assuming we are talking straight line race.

Of course if the disparity between engines is greater such as 400HP vs 300HP can make up for alot on a straight track.

Old 04-11-2008, 12:42 PM
The 2nd Gen G is clearly faster than the 1st gen. I really dont need 1/4 mile videos or any of that bullsh*t to verify. Drive each one back to back and the 2nd Gen G is simply a rocket compared to the 1st gen. Ive driven each, plus my coupe, and the VQ35HR in the 2nd gen G simply hauls way more a.ss than my coupe or the 1st gen sedan. My 6MT coupe feels slow in comparison and my car never really gave me the "pushed in the seat" feeling, and trust me, I know how to drive. The 07 Sedan DOES give that feeling. Turn VDC off and mash it from a dig and the 07 Sedan pulls like a beast. The VQ37VHR in the 2009 Sedan is gonna add even more response and more power throughput. Im predicting to see 13.5-13.3's in the quarter with a stickier set of tires to achieve a good 60ft. from a competent driver. My next car without a doubt is going to be the 2009 Sedan. With a JWT lightweight flywheel, HFC's, the best exhaust at that point in time, and 3.9 FD, I greatly believe this car will be a high 12-second car.

Last edited by chilibowl; 04-11-2008 at 12:50 PM.
Old 04-11-2008, 12:57 PM
My next car without a doubt is going to be the 2009 Sedan.
You're assuming that the VQ37VHR won't be de-tuned like in Europe (should have same hp but even less tq than the VQ35HR). Truth is we don't have yet a definitive word of what motor (and power output) the US 09 G sedan will have. It'd be great if the VQ37VHR won't be detuned in the sedan, but that would mean the sedan would be even faster than the coupe. Marketing can't have that, now can we?

Old 04-11-2008, 01:46 PM
Originally Posted by CalsonicVQ
You're assuming that the VQ37VHR won't be de-tuned like in Europe (should have same hp but even less tq than the VQ35HR). Truth is we don't have yet a definitive word of what motor (and power output) the US 09 G sedan will have. It'd be great if the VQ37VHR won't be detuned in the sedan, but that would mean the sedan would be even faster than the coupe. Marketing can't have that, now can we?
Why do people have this stereotype stuck in their head? I honestly dont know where it came from. Just because a coupe looks faster and sportier, why does it HAVE to be faster? As far as I know, BMW's coupes and sedans are equal in power and acceleration. Theres an M3 coupe and then theres an M3 Sedan...guess what? They are equal in performance. You have the 335i coupe, and you have the 335i Sedan, guess what? Equal in performance. I highly doubt Infiniti will "detune" the sedan, that will only raise questions.

Customer : "Why does this 2009 G37 Sedan have the same motor as this 2009 G37 Coupe, yet the Sedan still makes 306HP? What was the purpose of this higher displacement motor? "

Salesman : "Uhh, uhhhh, since the sedan has 4-doors, that means its heavier than the 2-door, uhh, uhhhm, oh! and it keeps the engine from maximum output, yeah, thats the reason why!"

Uhhh no.

The new Z will be getting the VQ37VHR, hence 370Z. It WONT be getting detuned, and it will most likely be "making" more power than the G37, lets say 340, but we all know its purely for marketing reasons, cause I bet the Z's VQ37 will be EXACT to the one in the G.

Infiniti is all about competition. Why would they "detune" a vehicle when they can clearly "keep the tune" and have better performance from their engines, better than their competition? The VVEL obviously enhances performance and fuel economy, I highly doubt Nissan would R&D it for no reason. I will put ALL OF MY MONEY on it that 2009 G37 Sedan WILL have 330HP or more.

Last edited by chilibowl; 04-11-2008 at 01:53 PM.
Old 04-11-2008, 02:09 PM
Wei
just like how we read that the fx was supposed to get the 3.7 for 2009 but didn't? still using 3.5?

i hope it does come in 3.7 and not detuned, but as of now, it's all speculation

imagine worst case scenario, 09 still gets 3.5, no new 7 sp a/t, everything same as 08 and interest rates go up (hard to beat the 2.9 or whatevers out there recently), so that's time wasted waiting around, time should be spent driving the car you want

and i disagree, 2 door = need to be faster, idea behind it is to be more sporty, more performance oriented

Old 04-11-2008, 02:10 PM
Wei
oh yeah, 2nd gen > 1st gen, no contest, drive both stock and you'll know what we mean, can't compare a modded car to stock

Old 04-11-2008, 02:25 PM
Received 161 Likes on 122 Posts
Originally Posted by Chris G35
That first gen has BFG DR's, plus full bolt-ons
And it looks like Trey drives it pretty well.

Old 04-11-2008, 02:37 PM
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Infiniti is all about competition. Why would they "detune" a vehicle when they can clearly "keep the tune" and have better performance from their engines, better than their competition? The VVEL obviously enhances performance and fuel economy, I highly doubt Nissan would R&D it for no reason. I will put ALL OF MY MONEY on it that 2009 G37 Sedan WILL have 330HP or more.
Not to play devil's advocate, but detuning an engine does have it's purposes.

Tuning for MPG will obviously output less power, but the MPG gain can be significant.

The Honda K20 could be a good example.

The MPG versions are 160hp, and the performance versions are 200. Both use VTEC, but there's a pretty significant MPG gain for losing a bit of power.

It would appear the VQ37's hp loss isn't as significant as apparent in the European G sedan.

Old 04-11-2008, 02:39 PM
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by foiegras900ss
This maybe a very stupid question but while watching Youtube and saw this white First Generation G35 sedan beat a Second Generation G35 at the drag strip..and it was a BIG difference. It didn't sound nor looked modified...

From what I've been reading, the 1st generation car is about the same horsepower like 298 hp. Am I getting the information wrong?
to answer ur question. Yes second Generation is much faster than the first generation both in stock form. With some breather mods and tune, u can make the first generation as fast as the second: for example my car. Stock for stock, there is no comparison. My car is now .5 seconds faster than a stock first gen 6MT and about full second faster than a first Gen auto.

Old 04-11-2008, 08:21 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I drove a 2nd Gen for the first time last week while my car was in for some warranty work. I have a few mods on my 1st Gen (Intake, Stillen exhaust, and 1/2" spacer), and the 2nd Gen still seemed much faster. I was surprised.... Great motor (the HR)!

Old 04-11-2008, 08:37 PM
I raced a 2004 Coupe 6MT with my 2nd Gen G Sedan and all I have to say is that when I enter 3 gear the race was over. Above 100mph the G coupe was about 3 car lenghts behind. Mine is automatic base form. Still the G coupe looked nice and is in no way inferior. Is just "outdated" compared to our total HP and power graph curve. He dynoed 240whp, just for reference.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Is there a REAL performance advantage of the 2nd Gen over a 1st Gen sedans?