G35 Sedan V36 2007- 08 Discussion about the 2nd Generation G35 Sedan 2007 - 08

Here we go again, MPG

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-28-2008, 09:13 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ok

Originally Posted by dcmidnight
Just curious but do people that are worrying about gas mileage actually research things like this *before* you buy the car? I knew the car was a 17/23 car when I bought it so I wasn't real concerned when I started out getting 18-20 mpg.

And yeah if I wanted good mileage I would have bought a Corolla or Prius, not a 306hp sports sedan.
There is always the wise guy

Yes I did lots of research on this car, I knew I was buying a gas guzzler and if you really read my posts, I am not complaining but had observed the terrible gas mileage on short trips. I was doing 19 MPG when I filled my tank and had travelled 40 miles or so. When I parked the car for like an hour, I decided to go for a 2 mile trip, my MPG dropped to 14.

As noted on my post, even with this mileage I use this car as a weekend and after hours car and can go for a week to 2 weeks on a tank, thats at least $140 per month which is nothing to all of us on this forum. So if you read my posts you will see I am not complaining but was actually trying to share my findings with others. Admittedly there are very sharp people here and probably my information was unnecessary but I am sure I may have helped a few people.

Besides, lets not be hypocrites here, see the article below

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/24317610/

Old 04-28-2008, 10:35 PM
Ditto.... It's a great car, especially for the money !!! Be happy you had the savvy to have selected the BEST car in it's category. And your getting "decent" MPG to boot. Give my Best to Infiniti's Engineers

Old 09-01-2008, 10:07 AM
Originally Posted by dcmidnight
Just curious but do people that are worrying about gas mileage actually research things like this *before* you buy the car? I knew the car was a 17/23 car when I bought it so I wasn't real concerned when I started out getting 18-20 mpg.

And yeah if I wanted good mileage I would have bought a Corolla or Prius, not a 306hp sports sedan.
There are those that want great power and sports car no matter what the cost, there are those of us that want a good balance and still be able to afford to drive it. When you factor the wide differecnes people are repoerting for MPG the cost per year can be $1000 or more. I find that substantial. I am not looking to 4cyl MPG nor am I looking for 4cyl ride. I want a good sporty ride where if I don't drive like a mad man I won't live at the pump. I think the exepecting a car liek the G to get reasonable MPG shoudl not be that bad, their problem is they rev the engine more at any given speed than most of their competitors. Sure that give the great instantaeous throttle response, but it sucks GAS. My Type-S TL reves at like 2100-2200 RPM at 70, the G is closer to like 3000. Yeah the G launches like a rocket, the Acura takes time to spool up. These are all compromises one needs to understand. With $4 GAS MPG is more of a factor for some. In my driving if I go from my TL to a G and the TL gets me 22 and the G gets me 18 then that costs me almost $700+ a year, is that a lot, depends on the person. I think what scare people is many people, especially those that ar eon G35 forums buy this car to DRIVE!! When you do that your MPG suffers, so others read all these horry stories and get scaried. The real thing to understand is the person's driving environement and habits. My TL is rated at 17/26 yet I get 21.5-22 MPG consistently around town. someone else migh get better or worse. Based on that I assume I may be able to get 20MPG around town in the G, that woudl be acceptable to me, but 14MPG would not be.

Old 09-01-2008, 10:34 AM
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
I get 23-24 mixed but mostly highway. Those of us with 07 G35 had a gas mileage numbers on the window sticker that were changed for 08. We drive the G and my wife's 06 Accord V6 6-speed sedan equally with the same ratio of seat time. The Accord regularly returns 29+ mpg tanks and on 87 oct. It's almost as fast, much roomier, and is also a 30k car. It's owning both that the G seem thirsty. That said, the Accord isn't as fun, but it is a more fluid driving experience.

Old 09-01-2008, 11:11 AM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
My 08 G gets worse MPG than the 06 325i that I traded in for it. I had this conversation with a co-worker; I bought this car because it was a damn fast sport sedan, not for the fuel economy. Performance cars rarely get good MPG, but econoboxes while good with MPG are usually a pretty stale driving experience.

Old 09-01-2008, 12:12 PM
+1^^^^^.... I new the gas mileage I could expect when I bought the car. Of coarse I wish it was better but I'm driving it when and were I want without worrying about gas mileage.

What I would like to see is the gas mileage record screen long term on people that say they are averaging over 20 plus miles per gallon long term. Not just 20 mile trips at 60mph on the highway. I you are one of those people please post some pics. I only average about 18mpg on mixed driving.

Brad

Attached Thumbnails Here we go again, MPG-small-mpg.jpg  
Old 09-01-2008, 12:14 PM
Premier Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cold starts are going to use more gas in any car.

Old 09-01-2008, 12:17 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I get around 20-22 in the city, very non-aggressive driving.
On the highway, I average around 27-29, 29 if I'm being clever with my driving, 27 just normally.
My record for a trip to Cleveland was 30.5 with some pulse glide driving and use of hills and inclines correctly.

I hardly ever floor it unless I have a reason to and keep my shifts below 3k.
Works for me. On a mixed tank I average around 23.5mpg consistently.

Old 09-01-2008, 12:19 PM
Originally Posted by stradaONE8
I get around 20-22 in the city, very non-aggressive driving.
On the highway, I average around 27-29, 29 if I'm being clever with my driving, 27 just normally.
My record for a trip to Cleveland was 30.5 with some pulse glide driving and use of hills and inclines correctly.

I hardly ever floor it unless I have a reason to and keep my shifts below 3k.
Works for me. On a mixed tank I average around 23.5mpg consistently.
What do you call city driving?

Old 09-01-2008, 12:22 PM
Not on the highway? I rarely am stuck in stop and go though...so that definitely helps. I find that my car gets pretty good mileage, it's all about how you drive, but even Saturday I went on a G cruise and with 100 miles of highway mixed with very aggressive driving for a good bit of it, I still managed 25mpg.
I dunno, maybe I'm lucky, but I also don't try to waste gas unless I'm having fun.

EDIT: For those wondering about short trips, it's because your car runs very rich until the engine is warmed up sufficiently. Thus if you're taking a 2 mile drive, you car never gets to optimal running temp and will run rich the whole time. Not to mention if you're going 2 miles it's probably not at highway speeds most likely.

Last edited by stradaONE8; 09-01-2008 at 12:29 PM.
Old 09-01-2008, 06:03 PM
But your is an 06 right, I think people here assumed you had an 07/08 since this is a second generation thread

Old 09-01-2008, 06:15 PM
Originally Posted by stradaONE8
Not on the highway? I rarely am stuck in stop and go though...so that definitely helps. I find that my car gets pretty good mileage, it's all about how you drive, but even Saturday I went on a G cruise and with 100 miles of highway mixed with very aggressive driving for a good bit of it, I still managed 25mpg.
I dunno, maybe I'm lucky, but I also don't try to waste gas unless I'm having fun.

EDIT: For those wondering about short trips, it's because your car runs very rich until the engine is warmed up sufficiently. Thus if you're taking a 2 mile drive, you car never gets to optimal running temp and will run rich the whole time. Not to mention if you're going 2 miles it's probably not at highway speeds most likely.
I live in Brooklyn, NY. Have a G35xS for a 2month 1300 mi only. Driving every day in Brooklyn locally yes aggressive, mostly 2miles trips (A93-only) cannot get more than 10-11 MPG. 20 Gallons per/week for 200 mi. Dealer check and found no problem with the car. He set it’s a normal MPG for Brooklyn local ride.
Any others opinions??

Old 09-01-2008, 07:15 PM
average 22 in rural / small town / highway mixed driving. driving like a madman on the higway way above speed limits in triple digits and stuff, yields 19. True highway easy 75mph driving, I can get 23 or 24.

Old 09-01-2008, 08:42 PM
Traveling Administrator
Received 175 Likes on 102 Posts
I got back today from a long weekend vacation and put a little under 500 KMs on my G. I filled up just before I left and got 9.1 L/100 KMs, which is 31.04 MPG (imperial) or 25.85 MPG (US). My trip was predominately highway and cruise was set to 110 Kph. I was more than happy with the gas mileage it gave me.

Old 09-03-2008, 09:55 AM
I drive 4 miles one way to work every day and currently testing 87 oct. i go through about 10 stoplights. I am averaging about 16mpg according to the computer but now i am starting to calculate it myself. I am planning on testing all octane to see if I actually get better mileage with higher octane.

08 G35X

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Here we go again, MPG