G35 Sedan V36 2007- 08 Discussion about the 2nd Generation G35 Sedan 2007 - 08

Is the 5AT good enough to forego a manual?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-06-2008, 11:54 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ugaexploder
GTR = no question about it being manual.
Ironically, the GTR doesn't come in manual.

Old 05-06-2008, 12:07 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by BrianV
Despite my issues with the manual, I totally still prefer it. Plus, in today's world, it's so rare to see a classy sedan with manual so there's a sort of shock factor and uniqueness to it.

No regrets here. My g/f's brother has the same car with auto and I prefer the manual. I get better mileage, it was cheaper, it sounds different (weird huh)?

You just can't beat a real double-clutch downshift. Finally, there's enough torque in this vehicle to drive at real low RPMs which will yield better mileage and possibly smoother shifting (depending on how you shift it).
I don't think i would've chosen a 6mt just because it makes my car "unique". and the whole better mileage thing really depends on how you drive, where some people might say you get worse gas mileage because it's easier to just rip it up on the road with a manual. double-clutch downshift......sounds like a familiar movie i mentioned earlier.

the better gas mileage and smoother shifting all depends on changing variables (THE DRIVER) so i don't see where you're goin with that.

Old 05-06-2008, 12:09 PM
Ironically, the GTR doesn't come in manual.
I didn't know the GTR only came in auto but I was referring to the TYPE of car when I said that. I would get a manual in a true sports car like a GTR and not a entry-level sports sedan. But if you want to take the literal meaning of a post, then go for it...i guess it takes less thinking to do that

Old 05-06-2008, 12:12 PM
I think this is a good discussion, and shows you that we're all for the most part happy with our choices. At the end of the day, the question started with whether a BMW fan who is accustomed to stick shifts could potentially be happy with an AT in the Infiniti. As you can see by the posts, there are definitely a number of us ex manual shifters who test drove both the 6 speed and the 5 AT and left with the 5AT. I think the big reason why this happened was that the 5AT shifts very quickly most of the time in DS mode or manual mode, and that this car has so much torque in almost any gear and so much power, that it feels great regardless.

I think 3 years ago I would have been on this thread arguing that you should definitely stick to the stick shift so to speak. But I've changed, and am willing to make the (in this case very small) compromise to an AT in order to get the comfort that I sometimes want and can't get in heavy traffic with a stick shift as long as the AT has a manual shifting mode that shifts relatively quickly. I test drove a GTI a while back, and that thing's dual clutch shifter is incredible - it shifts instantaneously. The GT-R's gearbox is also a dual clutch system that I suspect will shift incredibly quickly - more quicly than any human could shift a manual gear box. If you watch formula 1, and you see those folks shifting with the paddle shifters, that whole mode also becomes a lot more interesting. I feel like a formula 1 driver with my paddle shifters and the G35X's performance :-).

So for the OP, I would recommend that you take each car for an extended test drive, and then think about it and make a decision based on that, but the bottom line is that the majority of posters in this thread who made the change have not looked back. There are though one or two who have looked back and regretted the decision.

Good luck!

Tamir

Old 05-06-2008, 02:54 PM
I don't think i would've chosen a 6mt just because it makes my car "unique". and the whole better mileage thing really depends on how you drive, where some people might say you get worse gas mileage because it's easier to just rip it up on the road with a manual. double-clutch downshift......sounds like a familiar movie i mentioned earlier.

the better gas mileage and smoother shifting all depends on changing variables (THE DRIVER) so i don't see where you're goin with that.
Well those are variables in which I disclaimed on the smoothness (depending on the driver). Also, on average, M/Ts do get better mpg (according to EPA). I actually find I'm more likely to drive relaxed in stick than in auto.

To each their own, I understand your points. I find driving a manual more exciting when driving spirited (clutch + manual > no clutch + delayed manual), and I find it makes non-spirited driving less mundane.

I rarely drive spirited anymore due to gas prices and long commutes, but I still enjoy shifting my own gears.

It's a matter of personal preference and I HAVE always enjoyed driving manuals more for the following reasons:

- I get better gas mileage

- I get more excitement

- I enjoy knowing I have a car configuration that is fairly rare

As far as the entry level sports sedan, I don't see how it's any different than getting something like a 350Z in manual. My 07 G35S is faster and feels far sportier than my 04 Z did (both manuals). I think getting a G35 in manual yields a nice compromise. A sporty, athletic car that's still elegant and practical.

I definitely am not the normal American car owner though. I feel that any car that's sporty is only proper as a manual, but that's just me. I respect everyone's opinion and ultimately do what makes you happy. I was just spitting out my thoughts on the subject. The main reason I came in was to say that the clutch rattle issues do not make me regret the 6MT and I don't look back for a second with regret.

Old 05-06-2008, 06:44 PM
Well those are variables in which I disclaimed on the smoothness (depending on the driver). Also, on average, M/Ts do get better mpg (according to EPA). I actually find I'm more likely to drive relaxed in stick than in auto.

To each their own, I understand your points. I find driving a manual more exciting when driving spirited (clutch + manual > no clutch + delayed manual), and I find it makes non-spirited driving less mundane.

I rarely drive spirited anymore due to gas prices and long commutes, but I still enjoy shifting my own gears.

It's a matter of personal preference and I HAVE always enjoyed driving manuals more for the following reasons:

- I get better gas mileage

- I get more excitement

- I enjoy knowing I have a car configuration that is fairly rare

As far as the entry level sports sedan, I don't see how it's any different than getting something like a 350Z in manual. My 07 G35S is faster and feels far sportier than my 04 Z did (both manuals). I think getting a G35 in manual yields a nice compromise. A sporty, athletic car that's still elegant and practical.

I definitely am not the normal American car owner though. I feel that any car that's sporty is only proper as a manual, but that's just me. I respect everyone's opinion and ultimately do what makes you happy. I was just spitting out my thoughts on the subject. The main reason I came in was to say that the clutch rattle issues do not make me regret the 6MT and I don't look back for a second with regret.
You make some very good points. Personally, I just felt less inclined to purchasing a manual for this car because I felt that the car needed to have dual personalities. It's very easy for our car to be luxury or sporty whereas a Z is just sporty...and as some of you members know how frugal I am, I would've probably gone 6mt to save money if it weren't for the horrible traffic in atlanta.

Old 05-06-2008, 11:13 PM
Minor Trim Difference Too

Not sure if this has been mentioned in other areas, but I just noticed the following today on a test drive: Aluminum trim is flush with plastic on sides of center console on 5AT while on 6MT, it is deeper set. Also, armrest is thicker on 5AT to allow room for rear AC vents...I haven't seen a 6MT that has these. Lastly, 5AT has foot parking brake, 6MT has traditional hand brake. I will be choosing 5AT based on several factors unique to my driving habits. While I find the 6-speed a blast to drive, I personally find that the 5AT on the Sport keeps up really well when using the paddles...much more fun than the Steptronic in the E39 540i I will be replacing. I guess I'm saying what everyone else has before...depends on what each individual likes/needs.

Old 05-06-2008, 11:26 PM
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Being in the market for myself at the moment, I'm leaning toward an AT for one and one reason only.

I have friends that drive my car, and some of them dont drive a MT.

Old 05-06-2008, 11:46 PM
Walking The Fine Line...

Received 128 Likes on 79 Posts
Don't regret the 5AT at all, especially when driving in Seattle.

Old 05-07-2008, 04:24 PM
i like the 5AT...coming from 5-Speed Hondas. I didnt mind my G being AUto

Old 05-08-2008, 06:37 AM
Yeah...I'm going to go with some here and say try it with the paddles. It's great.

The only thing I'd change about the AT is I wish it was a 6AT instead of a 5AT. I wonder if there's a way to modify it to have a 6th gear?

Old 05-08-2008, 08:35 AM
Bad Toro
Originally Posted by M3WannaBe
I know how this usually goes on every car forum I frequent, so let me pre-emptively state that I don't want this to turn into an AT-bashing thread. Thanks for your co-operation.

I'm considering a G35 for my next car purchase, and was drawn to it in large part due to the availability of the 6MT. After reading numerous posts of complaints about the manual transmissions & clutches, and many posts from people who seem thrilled with the DS mode on the auto, I'm starting to wonder if the auto would be an acceptable alternative.

I know that a test-drive is mandatory to decide for myself, but a 15-minute test-drive just can't replicate a few thousands miles behind the wheel. What do you think, 5AT owners? Do you miss your clutch? I'm particularly interested in hearing from people who used to drive manual cars (and enjoyed it) and are now driving an AT G35.

One last question: Does the DS mode exist and work on the Journey models, too, or is it just on the G35 Sport?

Thanks!
For an AT tranny, it's EXCELLENT!

With that said, I cannot regret enough for not getting a 6MT again.

Old 05-08-2008, 10:54 AM
Originally Posted by Virus
What's to understand? We grew up and became adults. When I was in my 20's I have no problem driving a stick. Didn't both me in the least. Now in my 30's with children, I find I need that free hand to smack the kids in the backseat
I am also in my 30's, and have a child. And I am definitely an adult, what does that have to do with transmission choice? If you said you had a bum left knee I'd understand. To each his own.

Old 05-08-2008, 12:46 PM
You make some very good points. Personally, I just felt less inclined to purchasing a manual for this car because I felt that the car needed to have dual personalities. It's very easy for our car to be luxury or sporty whereas a Z is just sporty...and as some of you members know how frugal I am, I would've probably gone 6mt to save money if it weren't for the horrible traffic in atlanta.
how would going 6mt have saved you money in any big way? it only comes in one of the most expensive trims, and loaded journey sport vs. loaded g35s is about a thousand dollars' difference...if that. heck, i've seen plenty of journey sports walk off the lot for less than 6mt g35s's.

heh, i think that seals the deal for a lot of people leaning toward auto.

personally, i just was not impressed one bit with the 5at. being a manual fanboy that I am, impressing me was probably impossible

the gt-r's gearbox is a sequential gearbox. it's not an auto. there is no viscous-based torque converter. it has a dual-clutch setup mated to a relatively normal gearbox. the big difference in this is that instead of a clutch pedal and a little rowing gear to your right, you have paddles and a computer doing the clutching and rowing for you. it can be very auto-esque if you elect to let it (deciding for itself what gears to use). mechanically, it's just a manual trans being told what to do by a computer /over-simplification of the control system

Old 05-08-2008, 12:50 PM
Originally Posted by wreaks
I am also in my 30's, and have a child. And I am definitely an adult, what does that have to do with transmission choice? If you said you had a bum left knee I'd understand. To each his own.
yeah... that's probably the most annoying misconception i've been dealing with as well. I'm 30, married, looking to have kids in the not-distant future, and prefer manual. my wife can't drive my car but so what? I wasn't going to drop nearly 40 large to settle for something less enjoyable. the 6mt isn't perfect by any means, but it is a fair sight more enjoyable to drive than the auto.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Is the 5AT good enough to forego a manual?