G35 Sedan V36 2007- 08 Discussion about the 2nd Generation G35 Sedan 2007 - 08

Is the 5AT good enough to forego a manual?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-02-2008, 04:08 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Is the 5AT good enough to forego a manual?

I know how this usually goes on every car forum I frequent, so let me pre-emptively state that I don't want this to turn into an AT-bashing thread. Thanks for your co-operation.

I'm considering a G35 for my next car purchase, and was drawn to it in large part due to the availability of the 6MT. After reading numerous posts of complaints about the manual transmissions & clutches, and many posts from people who seem thrilled with the DS mode on the auto, I'm starting to wonder if the auto would be an acceptable alternative.

I know that a test-drive is mandatory to decide for myself, but a 15-minute test-drive just can't replicate a few thousands miles behind the wheel. What do you think, 5AT owners? Do you miss your clutch? I'm particularly interested in hearing from people who used to drive manual cars (and enjoyed it) and are now driving an AT G35.

One last question: Does the DS mode exist and work on the Journey models, too, or is it just on the G35 Sport?

Thanks!

Old 05-02-2008, 04:16 PM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I like my A/T G, but if i had an option between a 6MT and A/T i would go for 6MT all the way. The reason behind it is that i just LIKE driving a stick car, rather than an A/T. Not for the speed really, but its just fun, you feel one with the car. IDK Its just me.....

Old 05-02-2008, 04:19 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
living in one of the most congested cities in the united states, i don't miss manual one bit. practicality is more important to me than owning a 6spd for a quick car. this isn't a racecar...if i owned a nissan GT-R, then it would be a no-brainer. i consider my g35, a very practical, fun car and the 5AT is perfect.

and DS exists on all trims for the G35. the auto tranny is so sophisticated on the G, i wouldn't have it any other way.

Old 05-02-2008, 04:28 PM
I love my AT G but if i were to purchase my next car i would make sure i'd get a manual only because i'm used to driving one, i basically grew up driving a manual.. but auto does it for me i'm pretty satisfied.

And yes the DS mode comes in all trims, auto that is.

Old 05-02-2008, 04:30 PM
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
The G has one of the best AT's I've ever driven, but I still opted for the manual, there is just nothing like it and there are plenty of people here who have regretted choosing the 5AT over the 6mt. Not so many the other way around

Old 05-02-2008, 04:34 PM
Wei
have the AT, but miss MT occasionally

except of course in congestion

Old 05-02-2008, 04:35 PM
I migrated to the US a couple of years ago, in my home country almost everyone drives a manual car, I used to drive one as well and when I got here I started using an automatic, never turned back since. I think the manual cars are overrated in the US, I hear a lot of fun to drive comments all over the place but there is nothing special about it really. I think there is a thrill to telling people you can drive a stick, since most people here possibly dont know how to do this. But since I have used both transmissions quite extensively, AT is just as much fun as MT.

Old 05-02-2008, 04:40 PM
there is a weird perception in the united states where if you don't have a manual, supposedly you don't have *****...i don't get it

must be the fast and the furious that caused all this

Old 05-02-2008, 04:45 PM
^ yep

Old 05-02-2008, 05:03 PM
Exactly, driving a manual is so easy its not even worth the attention it gets in the US. Since these car magazines rave about manuals so much, I think thats the source of the problem. Coming from MT to AT was progressive for me and I will leave driving MTs to when I visit back home.

Old 05-02-2008, 05:09 PM
Moderation-free
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Absolutely, IF you're not one of the people who has always driven a manual and always wants one.

I went to the dealer all set to buy a 6MT, test drove the Sport with paddles, and loved it. Bought that instead, and have never regretted - my priority is always choosing the gear, I don't really care how it gets there

Old 05-02-2008, 05:11 PM
I'm not an apologist for the boy-racer set, but for me, there is a noticeable difference between the MT and AT in some cars. I test drove a Mazda3 with MT and AT back-to-back, and the MT car was much more engaging to drive. The AT was slow to shift, even in manual mode, and didn't have a "sport" mode that would hold a gear longer when it was in auto mode. The AT version of that car just felt more relaxed, and not as sporting. Perfectly fine for commuting, but not nearly as much fun to me.

That's why I'm wondering if the AT in the G35, with its sport mode, will be good enough to bridge the gap. There are plenty of reasons for me to want an AT, not the least of which is that my wife hates driving manual cars; they make her nervous.

Old 05-02-2008, 05:12 PM
for me ive drivin MT for most of my driving life. i love its, it is fun.

BUT for a 4 door lux car like my G i decided to go AT. reasons being 1, its more relaxing, 2 i dont have to worry in traffic.

but having paddle shifts with the Ds mode is what topped off the switch to AT. i can downshift when i want just as fast if not faster than if i had a MT.

now if i was to buy the G coupe i would def go MT. 2door auto??!?!? that just seems wrong

Old 05-02-2008, 05:12 PM
I've owned nothing but manuals, and loved manuals. I test drove a 6MT and thought the clutch was annoying, but otherwise, there's something to be said about the stick and clutch pedal that is really fun.

But, i still opted for the 5AT because I got a good deal, they had one on the lot with exactly the options I wanted, and I was amazed at how well the auto shifted and how good the DS mode is.

If I had it all to do over again, I'd probably still have a 5AT unless the 6MT was the one sitting there with the options I want and a price I couldn't say no to.

Old 05-02-2008, 05:14 PM
Originally Posted by M3WannaBe
I'm not an apologist for the boy-racer set, but for me, there is a noticeable difference between the MT and AT in some cars. I test drove a Mazda3 with MT and AT back-to-back, and the MT car was much more engaging to drive. The AT was slow to shift, even in manual mode, and didn't have a "sport" mode that would hold a gear longer when it was in auto mode. The AT version of that car just felt more relaxed, and not as sporting. Perfectly fine for commuting, but not nearly as much fun to me.

That's why I'm wondering if the AT in the G35, with its sport mode, will be good enough to bridge the gap. There are plenty of reasons for me to want an AT, not the least of which is that my wife hates driving manual cars; they make her nervous.
have her test drive the g35S with paddle shifters. very capable of the GO you want

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Is the 5AT good enough to forego a manual?