G35 Sedan V36 2007- 08 Discussion about the 2nd Generation G35 Sedan 2007 - 08

From 3 series to new '08 G35x - Brakes not smooth

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-13-2008, 03:34 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
From 3 series to new '08 G35x - Brakes not smooth

I am coming from a 3 series XI sedan. The G35x runs really smooth and handles great. my concern is the brakes. I've had it two weeks and brakes are not smooth at all. There is vibration and a grinding feel. I thought this must be the car braking in the pads, but it still has not gone away.

I dont remeber feeling this in the test drive car. The only thing was when i bught the car, the rotors were rusted (the round part that you see through the spokes). I told the dealer i'd like them cleaned before i took delivery. They said the rust is normail as most cars sit on teh lot and it biilds until they are driven, then it goes away.

Nevertheless, they got rid of teh rust and rotors taht you can see through the wheel spokes were back to silver. I'm wondering if by them doing whatever they did, could it be causing this grinding when i brake?

Any thoughts? Or is this the way the brakes are supposed to feel and i was spoiled with my beamer?

Old 05-13-2008, 03:42 PM
Wow...I don't think I've heard this complaint about the G before. Is it true grinding or a shudder(not that it matters I guess though)? My brakes are smooth as silk, under hard and soft braking.

The part of the rotors that touch pad go back to silver quickly. But if they took off the rotors to clean the tips that don't get pad contact, they could have put it back together incorrectly? I'd bring it back and at least have them drive it and you drive another one just to compare. Doesn't sound right.

Old 05-13-2008, 03:45 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My brakes are smooth as silk on my 35x. Surface rust is common on rotors, sometimes it can form in hours. The dealer probably drove your car around the lot, hit the brakes and its gone. Or, they possibly resurfaced them. IF they did resurface your rotors, then it possible they screwed that up. I'd ask them what they did. Also, perhaps try a few hard stops and then see if its better.

Old 05-13-2008, 03:46 PM
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by glocker99
I am coming from a 3 series XI sedan. The G35x runs really smooth and handles great. my concern is the brakes. I've had it two weeks and brakes are not smooth at all. There is vibration and a grinding feel. I thought this must be the car braking in the pads, but it still has not gone away.

I dont remeber feeling this in the test drive car. The only thing was when i bught the car, the rotors were rusted (the round part that you see through the spokes). I told the dealer i'd like them cleaned before i took delivery. They said the rust is normail as most cars sit on teh lot and it biilds until they are driven, then it goes away.

Nevertheless, they got rid of teh rust and rotors taht you can see through the wheel spokes were back to silver. I'm wondering if by them doing whatever they did, could it be causing this grinding when i brake?

Any thoughts? Or is this the way the brakes are supposed to feel and i was spoiled with my beamer?
The brakes should feel silky smooth.

Describe the grinding in more detail please.

Old 05-13-2008, 04:17 PM
Originally Posted by Mike@RiversideInfiniti
The brakes should feel silky smooth.

Describe the grinding in more detail please.
AAA! Really? I can notice mine grinding somewhat and I have an 08 xs with 500km on it. By grinding I mean somewhat uneven breaking and small vibration in the brake pedal. My dad's h2 hummer is smooth. Its not too bad, so I didn't think much of it... Guess I have to go to the dealer huh?

Old 05-13-2008, 04:20 PM
Only thing I could think is the rotors might be warped for some reason... no problems on my G. Was is a demo vehicle at the dealer that may have been driven before delivery to you?

Old 05-13-2008, 04:32 PM
I have never experienced any grinding from the brakes. Not a complaint, but I did have to get used to the touchiness or sensitivity of the brakes. I love it now. They have saved me several times.

I would have the dealer look at them.

Old 05-13-2008, 04:34 PM
Really strange. There hasn't been very many complaints at all on the 07/08 G's brakes. In fact this is my first car in quite some time that hasn't has warped rotors after 10k or so. I'm pretty hard on the brakes.

It definitely sounds like warped rotors. Grinding can sometimes occur if there is a small amount of rust on the rotors. This usually disappears after a few stops.

Old 05-13-2008, 04:45 PM
Same here. '08X, 2000mi. with what feels like warped rotors when braking hard. That and a drivers door armrest that feels like it broke through beneath the cushion. A little disappointing but great car otherwise. I'll get 'em fixed (hopefuly under warranty) at my first service.

Old 05-13-2008, 05:01 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
when i first got the car, i remember the brakes squeaking like crazy...but other than that i don't remember anything like this happening

Old 05-13-2008, 10:32 PM
More description of the problem

Thanks for everyone's input. To clarify. The car was bought new with 15 miles on it. I have about 600 on it now. There is no audible squeak. It's not that. I've owned squeaky brakes. That useally means they need replacing.

It's an odd vibration. Feels like its cyclical. Doesnt happen at every stop. The odd thing is that it's NOT just when i depress the brake pedal.

For example, I can feel it even if i am going on a flat surface or up a hill at 25+ mph and just put my foot over the brake without depressing (just a light hover), i can feel this strong vibration.

Old 05-13-2008, 11:47 PM
Thanks for everyone's input. To clarify. The car was bought new with 15 miles on it. I have about 600 on it now. There is no audible squeak. It's not that. I've owned squeaky brakes. That useally means they need replacing.

It's an odd vibration. Feels like its cyclical. Doesnt happen at every stop. The odd thing is that it's NOT just when i depress the brake pedal.

For example, I can feel it even if i am going on a flat surface or up a hill at 25+ mph and just put my foot over the brake without depressing (just a light hover), i can feel this strong vibration.
Yep, same idea with mine, although I wouldn't call mine strong. I can feel it in the pedal most definitely. Let me know what your dealer says if you go before I do.

Old 05-14-2008, 08:27 AM
Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Sounds like you need new rotors, or have them resurfaced. My 08g35x has had smooth brakes since day one (I have about 5k miles on it now).

Old 05-14-2008, 01:59 PM
My '07 has 12,000 miles on it and the steering wheel is vibrating like crazy under moderate braking. I'm thinking it's warped rotors and that should be covered under warranty if I bring it in? I'm willing to get they'll tell me I need new brake pads (which is not covered)...is it even possible to go through a set of pads in 12,000 miles without going to the track?!

Old 05-14-2008, 01:59 PM
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Were your brake pads bedded correctly?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: From 3 series to new '08 G35x - Brakes not smooth