G35 Sedan V36 2007- 08 Discussion about the 2nd Generation G35 Sedan 2007 - 08

'08 G35 after-market wood?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-18-2008, 08:42 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'08 G35 after-market wood?

I want the rosewood finish instead of aluminum but I don't want to order a car and pay transportation fees. There is a dealer offering to do an aftermarket wood job for me that he says they do all the time. He says it's the same stuff that is used at the factory and warrantied the exact same. He says the only difference is that it will be going on top of the aluminum finish instead of what would be just plain plastic if done at the factory. This will cause all the 'wood' surfaces to be raised slightly higher than a normal factory job but he said it would be practically un-noticeable.

Has anyone had this done and, if so, any opinions either way?

Thanks!

Old 06-18-2008, 09:45 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i've seen someone put carbon fiber trim pieces on top of the aluminum finish...it looks weird when it's protruding out like that. why don't you like the aluminum...it's totally pimp, sporty, and makes the japanese luxury more unique

Old 06-18-2008, 09:53 AM
Thanks for the reply!

As far as the aluminum, I just think it looks bad. I'm not into the pimped-out 'need for speed' thing.

Old 06-18-2008, 09:57 AM
i hear ya, the washi aluminum is not for everyone.

I would rather have the aluminum though (even if I didn' like it), rather than protruding wood trim...

Couldn't they just take the wood off a color you don't like on the dealership lot and put it in your car? A vendor should come out with an aftermarket wood trim or carbon fiber trim for this car...I think it would sell really well especially since there are many who do not want the sporty look

Old 06-18-2008, 10:04 AM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I have never seen any after-market wood veneer as nice as the factory's. The ones I have seen all will be raised and looks "applied." If you really want to get it from the dealer, ask them to show you some actuall installed samples, preferably on a G35.

Personally, I would negotiate the transport fees out of the contract, just make sure you know the condition of the unseen vehicle (age, milage, etc.).

Old 06-18-2008, 10:06 AM
I think they did a good job with the aluminum (we're getting off topic aren't we?) but it's just too 'cold' for me. I lwant a warmer feel.

Well, the dealer tells me that the protrusion isn't that bad and he has several that I can come look at (but he's 2 hours away). He claims the protrusion is something only I would notice.

But another layer is another layer. And you've given me some good insight. Fortunately I'm not in a hurry. maybe I'll just wait until what I want shows up on the lot.

I really appreciate your help!

Old 06-18-2008, 12:33 PM
a lot of the wood kits online have a really fake cheesy feel to them, id rather stick to the aluminum than those wood kits...unless you can find a REALLLY good one

Old 06-18-2008, 12:54 PM
not a problem, i hope everything works out. The wood trim is very nice especially on the lakeshore slate/wheat combo...and please post pics once you get your g-ride

Old 06-18-2008, 12:55 PM
Received 116 Likes on 110 Posts
Originally Posted by yapper
Well, the dealer tells me that the protrusion isn't that bad and he has several that I can come look at (but he's 2 hours away).
I say if you like the wood look over the washi then that's what you should have in your G.
I'm sure I've read some other threads that had links to some aftermarket products of this nature for the new G35's. Did you try a search?

BTW...couldn't/shouldn't the dealer send you some pictures taken from different angles instead of you driving for 4 hours?

Good Luck

Old 06-18-2008, 01:22 PM
Tried a search for threads on 'wood' but nothing pertinent came up. Might have missed something though.

Pics are a good idea. Will probably want to touch and feel though. Too much money to spend.

Looking at Platinum Graphite/Wheat/Wood combo. Anyone ever seen that one?

Old 06-18-2008, 02:13 PM
Unless you're getting the Sport Package, which specifically does not allow the wood (for some reason I still don't know) they should be able to find you a car with the otions you want. Dealers are hungry right now, so if one can't get the job done, find one that will. There is no reason you should have to order a car to get the options you want. It sounds to me like they're just trying to get some more money out of the deal. I'd walk based on that alone.

Old 06-18-2008, 02:15 PM
Received 116 Likes on 110 Posts
Originally Posted by yapper
Tried a search for threads on 'wood' but nothing pertinent came up. Might have missed something though.

Pics are a good idea. Will probably want to touch and feel though. Too much money to spend.

Looking at Platinum Graphite/Wheat/Wood combo. Anyone ever seen that one?
I found the thread I had seen previously. I don't know if it will be helpful but it does have some pics.
https://g35driver.com/forums/showthr...highlight=trim
http://www.wooddashexperts.com/custo...e.php?cat=5483
http://www.wooddash.com/item/INFINIT..._KITS_G35_2007
http://www.exoticwooddash.com/coating.asp
http://www.yocar.com/2007-Infiniti-G...-P425C117.aspx

Old 06-18-2008, 03:11 PM
thanks for those links!

Old 06-18-2008, 04:07 PM

Received 32 Likes on 27 Posts
I considered the wood option as well a long time ago.

Consider taking the car with the aluminum trim, BUT work out a deal for the wood to be installed at a later date (with provisions to back out). That way you can try out the aluminum to see what you think. You may be pleasantly surprised.

Old 06-18-2008, 04:42 PM
When I went to purchase my car they had the exact car I wanted in the showroom with the 3M already applied and everything but when I got in it noticed it had wood which I didnt want, but after a few minutes of inspection I realized it was a stick applique.

Now I am a pretty big car enthusiast(as most on here are) and it took me a few minutes to notice that it wasnt the factory installed wood.

I am not saying that your dealership will install the same stuff but it looked really good. It wasn't that shiny cheap looking stuff you get of ebay or in a domestic car. I hope that helps

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: '08 G35 after-market wood?