G35 Sedan V36 2007- 08 Discussion about the 2nd Generation G35 Sedan 2007 - 08

Just test drove and got some questions

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-25-2008, 01:40 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just test drove and got some questions

Yo whats up guys, first time on the forums and first time ever driving an infiniti.
I'm planning on getting rid of my ML320 and hopefully getting a sportier car.

I just had a test drive in a 2008 g35x with the sport option and I fell in love with it. Honestly the only car I was looking at before was the vw R32 but damn 50 extra hp felt good but I'm sure you all know about this.

During my test drive though, the guy directed me over to a really nice hairpin turn, but I didn't know it. I hit the brakes and turned in but all of a sudden I got some body roll. I really did not expect this and came home and reread some reviews and found nothing bad on body rolls for this car.

So I'm here asking you guys, wth? Did I make that happen or do you guys experience alot of body roll in tight turns?
I really like this car but that body roll reminded me of my ML.
Also for g35x drivers, how's this thing in the snow with it's rear-wheel bias?

Thanks guys, I love this machine and hope to join the community

Old 06-25-2008, 02:47 AM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
well, im not a genius to the physics of automotive maneuvering, but if one slams on the brakes while in a hairpin turn, the car will lean.

hotwheels cars dont lean in turns.

Old 06-25-2008, 03:28 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If you looked at the 08 X then you'll have no problem with winter. It is AWD. Winter is fun with the X.

tg

Old 06-25-2008, 03:42 AM
Received 187 Likes on 140 Posts
sway bars...problem solved.

Old 06-25-2008, 08:35 AM
My wife has the G35x (07 AWD) and whereas it is a good handling car, it is not a true sports car. I too get body roll if I take a corner too hard it will complain.

The same corner at the same speed in my 05 M3 is no problem. However, the suspension on the G is much more forgiving in the comfort area and the M3 is much harsher (19" wheels don't help).

I love the G sedan and think it is a great car, but it is not a dedicated sports car (which I think is one of the best selling points). Compare it to other sports sedans and see what you think.

I do not have experiance with the sport model so perhaps that is less prone to body roll.

Old 06-25-2008, 08:40 AM
I don't have any body roll, but then I have an S and not an X and I have suspension work so I guess everything that I'm typing is pointless.. lol

But yeah, when i test drove the x, i thought it rolled way too much.

Old 06-25-2008, 08:47 AM
Moderation-free
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
There's a pic of me around on a road course in Dallas, jamming into a hairpin turn while coming down from about 110 mph. There's a bit of body roll, but not to the point of really noticing while driving - maybe because I have a Sport?

Will try and find the pic.

Old 06-25-2008, 09:08 AM
Thats because the G35xS does not have the firm suspension of the RWD Sports, so while it'll handle well, it'll still lean a lot more than the RWD G35S.

As for the winters, if you put it in snow mode, the transfer case will send 50% of the power to the rear and 50% of the power to the front.

Default setting is 75% rear and 25% front with 100% going to the rear when you floor it, assuming you have traction.

Old 06-25-2008, 09:29 AM
Moderation-free
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by fecurtis
Thats because the G35xS does not have the firm suspension of the RWD Sports, so while it'll handle well, it'll still lean a lot more than the RWD G35S.

As for the winters, if you put it in snow mode, the transfer case will send 50% of the power to the rear and 50% of the power to the front.

Default setting is 75% rear and 25% front with 100% going to the rear when you floor it, assuming you have traction.
Thought I read that on an X, default setting is RWD until the rears start losing traction?

Old 06-25-2008, 09:42 AM
I wouldn't worry

I used to drive a 1998 ml320 and now going from that to a 2008 g35x was a Huge change in all good ways. I've had this car for almost 7 months and no problems except for some cops coming from an ml320 you should be driving this car like a pro and the g35x handles VERY well in snow for that size car. But it still didn't match up to the snow preformance of my old ML.

Old 06-25-2008, 09:53 AM
Received 116 Likes on 110 Posts
I can't answer your question about weather a G35xS has much body roll since I do not have the "S". I would say that if you are going to occasionally drive like that (on a closed course of course) then you should be considering removing the "X" from the equation and just get the "S".
That being said, I do own a 07 G35x and the winter driving abilities of this vehicle are second to none. I live in a heavy snowfall zone and last winter was able to easily drive through unplowed roads that left most people, other than trucks & SUVs, standing stuck in their tracks. I have owned a couple SUVs over the years and for the most part this AWD system handled the snowy weather just as well under most conditions. By that I mean I would not try plowing through a foot of snow in my X but 5-6 inches of fresh snow on the road certainly won’t stop this car but you do still need to slow down a little.
To summarize, it’s fun in the snow!
Good luck and let us know what you decide to buy.

Old 06-25-2008, 09:57 AM
Received 116 Likes on 110 Posts
Originally Posted by G35Now!
Thought I read that on an X, default setting is RWD until the rears start losing traction?
You are correct. Snow mode only changes initial throttle response much like starting a manual in second gear in snowy/icy road conditions to get the car moving. The car is always AWD when it detects slippy. But when there is no slipping it's 100% RWD.

Old 06-25-2008, 10:07 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
She's a big girl, at almost 4k pounds, she leans a bit. I've found that the AWD system keeps her in line though.

Old 06-25-2008, 12:35 PM
Originally Posted by joex420
I used to drive a 1998 ml320 and now going from that to a 2008 g35x was a Huge change in all good ways. I've had this car for almost 7 months and no problems except for some cops coming from an ml320 you should be driving this car like a pro and the g35x handles VERY well in snow for that size car. But it still didn't match up to the snow preformance of my old ML.
Yeah the ML was a very heavy car that demanded you to work to get it around a corner. I doubt you'd believe me joe but I got the ML to drift in the snow
The ML's awesome in snow and thanks for bringing the g35x into perspective guys. I love the rear wheel bias but I guess thats what will make the g fun in snow but not as good as the old merc.

I wish I could just get rid of the X and keep the S but my family's in Jersey which doesn't get insane amounts of snow but stupid drivers+snow=dodging oncoming bmw's...

I loved the G35 is the straight, highway, and regular turns but that one hairpin got me worried cause that body roll reminded me alot of my ML; which I'm trying to run very far from.

Thanks for the responses guys it's been very helpful.

Old 06-25-2008, 01:53 PM
I live in Chicago and just spent my first winter with an 07 G35X. The car handled the snow without a problem, even though the stock tires aren't very good all-season's (see Tirerack reviews).

As far as the body roll is concerned, it is definitely there, but I have read that getting better tires helps eleviate some of it. I'm not too technical so I don't quite understand how better tires would reduce body roll but I do know that I will be putting Pirelli PZero Nero M+S tires on before next winter. I had them on my last car (Subaru WRX) and they completely transformed that car's performance in every weather condition.

The bottom line is that I really wouldn't let the body roll stop you from owning such an amazing automobile because I don't see too many other options that provide the sporty (yet classy) look of the G35 combined with the all-wheel drive capabilities at this price point. The BMW 335XI sedan is the only other car that I compared the G35X to and when you equip the BMW comparable to the G (with premium package), you'll be spending several thousand extra. If you want a dedicated AWD car with more sporty handling, either modify the G35X's suspension or get an EVO or STI.

Get the 2008 G35XS and come back here and thank me (and the rest of us).

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Just test drove and got some questions