G35 Sedan V36 2007- 08 Discussion about the 2nd Generation G35 Sedan 2007 - 08

6MT Vs. Auto w/ Sport Package

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-07-2008, 11:50 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Phalanx
I tried DS before but it shifts much slower than manuals. Supposed I go to 7000rpm and shift up, the rpm will hit red line before it completely shifts to upper gear. I don't know if it is the same for other G35 but my 07 G35 non-sport does that.

Show me you can shift faster with the MT. Just post it.

Anybody?

tg

Old 07-07-2008, 12:02 PM
Moderation-free
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Phalanx
I tried DS before but it shifts much slower than manuals. Supposed I go to 7000rpm and shift up, the rpm will hit red line before it completely shifts to upper gear. I don't know if it is the same for other G35 but my 07 G35 non-sport does that.
You might get that checked: I shift at 7,200 - 7,300, and the tranny shifts prior to hitting the rev limiter.

Old 07-07-2008, 12:09 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by tg1234
http://youtube.com/watch?v=ng99KmgTAhY

Show me you can shift faster with the MT. Just post it.

Anybody?

tg
I think there is some confusion between ds and triptronic shifting. There is no way a mt will upshift quicker than the at.
Triptronic shifting the AT is a bit slower and if you shift under hard accel the hesitation can cause it to hit redline. Again, obvious by the video, you aren't going to beat the AT/computer.

Now there is nothing wrong with buying the MT or AT based on getting what you want.
I however I find it much more relaxing to drive AT cars. If I was buying a Z06, or Viper, something that is a pure sports car and driven for excitement, then the MT would be the only option (MT is the only option in those cars for a reason).

Old 07-07-2008, 12:23 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
you can launch the m/t much harder, therefore improving the 60'.

Old 07-07-2008, 12:31 PM
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
You should really test drive both. I had my mind set on getting a 6MT, until I got to drive both. Both are fun to drive, but to me, the 6MT didn't feel sporty enough. So, I went with the 5AT.

Old 07-07-2008, 01:55 PM
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
No need for childish comments bro. . .I just felt that if the 6MT didn't feel anymore sportier than the 5AT, why even go that route? Its all personal preference.

Old 07-07-2008, 02:14 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
It doesn't matter if you get an auto or a manual, they both come with a tampon in the first aid kit.

Old 07-08-2008, 03:22 AM
Originally Posted by dmkhnr
I think there is some confusion between ds and triptronic shifting. There is no way a mt will upshift quicker than the at.
Triptronic shifting the AT is a bit slower and if you shift under hard accel the hesitation can cause it to hit redline. Again, obvious by the video, you aren't going to beat the AT/computer.

Now there is nothing wrong with buying the MT or AT based on getting what you want.
I however I find it much more relaxing to drive AT cars. If I was buying a Z06, or Viper, something that is a pure sports car and driven for excitement, then the MT would be the only option (MT is the only option in those cars for a reason).
That is absolutely correct.

tg

Old 07-08-2008, 11:50 AM
Received 72 Likes on 51 Posts
I strongly suggest you drive both and I'd definitely hold off on driving anything until the 7AT G comes out because that will make the car even quicker with deeper gearing in the lower gears. Most automatics are pretty damn boring, but the auto in the G/Z is damn nice and responsive. Even with my lowered power 03 G, I get low to mid 2.1 60 foots which is better than most 6MTs can muster. Now if you want to use DRs or slicks at the strip, then the 6MT is the way to go. I love driving manuals, but the 6MT in the G just isn't that good, IMO. The tranny is noisy (TOB noises/rattles) and has all sorts of vibrations. In a Z, I can accept that. In a G? No way. I like to feel connected to the car, but I don't want to have to feel nasty metallic vibrations thru the shifter and somewhat through the pedals. The clutch take up in the newer cars is rather annoying too and reminds of the clutch in my old Maxima that I had for 6 years. The 6MT in the G/Z has gone thru numerous redesigns since 2002, but they still haven't fixed the common annoyances and reliability issues with the 6MT tranny. It has gotten better though. I don't why it's so hard for Asisn to build a reliable and quiet 6MT. The G/Z 6MT is the same one used in the new CTS and the mags have complained about that particular tranny being noisy and grainy too.

Basically, both tranny's have their compromises, but neither gives up performance. Drive both.

Old 07-08-2008, 12:48 PM
Charter Member Florida G35 Club
I don't know if you're looking at buying new or used, but Inifiniti supposedly improved the 6MT in the 2008's. I can say that having a 6MT 2004 Sedan, the clutch was the worst I've ever driven and I've driven manuals all my life (my current G is my first auto). It had a very on/off feel and was easy to stall even after 4+ years of ownership.

Old 07-08-2008, 02:03 PM
Originally Posted by jsmonet
can't agree more. sure it isn't for everyone, but the 6mt is just much more fun. it's also nice knowing you have the "true" g35s, and not some hacked together faker journey sport
fanboy

"I own a 'true' g35s cause I drive a stick man"

1. A person who is completely loyal to a game or company reguardless of if they suck or not.
2. A pathetic insult often used by fanboys themselves to try and put down people who don't like whatever it is they like.

I say you're #2

Last edited by ugaexploder; 07-08-2008 at 02:08 PM.
Old 07-08-2008, 02:58 PM
c'mon people can't we just get along???

I personally don't care what anybody picks (6MT or 5AT), as long as they are happy with their choice. Now give me my fake G35x :-) and leave me alone!

Old 07-09-2008, 02:30 AM
Originally Posted by ugaexploder
fanboy

"I own a 'true' g35s cause I drive a stick man"

1. A person who is completely loyal to a game or company reguardless of if they suck or not.
2. A pathetic insult often used by fanboys themselves to try and put down people who don't like whatever it is they like.

I say you're #2

hey, blame nisfiniti for listing it that way on their site.

Old 07-09-2008, 02:37 AM
Originally Posted by jsmonet
hey, blame nisfiniti for listing it that way on their site.
?? what do you mean?

Old 07-09-2008, 12:21 PM
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by DaveB
I strongly suggest you drive both and I'd definitely hold off on driving anything until the 7AT G comes out because that will make the car even quicker with deeper gearing in the lower gears. Most automatics are pretty damn boring, but the auto in the G/Z is damn nice and responsive. Even with my lowered power 03 G, I get low to mid 2.1 60 foots which is better than most 6MTs can muster. Now if you want to use DRs or slicks at the strip, then the 6MT is the way to go. I love driving manuals, but the 6MT in the G just isn't that good, IMO. The tranny is noisy (TOB noises/rattles) and has all sorts of vibrations. In a Z, I can accept that. In a G? No way. I like to feel connected to the car, but I don't want to have to feel nasty metallic vibrations thru the shifter and somewhat through the pedals. The clutch take up in the newer cars is rather annoying too and reminds of the clutch in my old Maxima that I had for 6 years. The 6MT in the G/Z has gone thru numerous redesigns since 2002, but they still haven't fixed the common annoyances and reliability issues with the 6MT tranny. It has gotten better though. I don't why it's so hard for Asisn to build a reliable and quiet 6MT. The G/Z 6MT is the same one used in the new CTS and the mags have complained about that particular tranny being noisy and grainy too.

Basically, both tranny's have their compromises, but neither gives up performance. Drive both.
My experience with a 7AT tells me that it may or may not be faster.

The current AT does not lock up the gears unless under partial throttle; the new 7AT locks up as soon as you hit 3rd. (in the FX, there is a significant difference in response between 1st/2nd gear and 3rd+ gears)

It is similar to how the BMW tranny is programmed.

All in all, it is pretty close, but the AT may actually have a better EPA MPG rating than the 6MT now...

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 6MT Vs. Auto w/ Sport Package