G35 Sedan V36 2007- 08 Discussion about the 2nd Generation G35 Sedan 2007 - 08

6MT Vs. Auto w/ Sport Package

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-06-2008, 07:45 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
6MT Vs. Auto w/ Sport Package

I'm upgrading from an Acura TSX to an Infiniti G35 and would appreciate the feedback of owners comparing the Sport 6MT to the Auto with the sport package.

I test drove the auto and was delighted with the power. My TSX pales in comparison and the 6 speed manual in it was necessary to get the most from the VTEC engine and provide a sporty driving experience.

Another complication -- I'm not a big fan of paddle shifters but I really like the upgraded seats in the Sport package. I'm beginning to think that a regular journey with the sport seats but no paddle shifters would be ideal (but I know that's not available).

As my local dealer does not have a 6MT I was hoping some owners who have driven both could comment on the virtues of both. Please share your experience with the 6MT or Sports package cars.

Thanks.

Last edited by oldfatslow; 07-06-2008 at 07:56 PM.
Old 07-06-2008, 10:33 PM
Moderation-free
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
PLEASE search on this. Unknown to you, you're about to kick off a religious debate that's happened many times before. If you search in the '07 forums (include sub-forums), for 6MT / 5AT in the title, you'll find them.

https://g35driver.com/forums/showthr...ght=6MT+vs+5AT

https://g35driver.com/forums/showthr...ght=6MT+vs+5AT

These will get you started.

Old 07-06-2008, 10:34 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
The virtues?

Performance wise, there is no difference. And as far as an auto goes, it's still fun to drive.

It really comes down to personal preference... do you prefer driving an manual or auto?

Old 07-06-2008, 11:19 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Traffic everyday or no?

If no maybe MT if yes Deffinetely AT.

tg

Old 07-06-2008, 11:31 PM
RCK
I drive a 6MT in city and hwy traffic. 5AT is just as fast if not faster--depending on your shifting skills--than 6MT. Wife and I chose 6MT because we've driven manuals all our lives. Shifting is second nature, so city traffic not an issue.

Manual provides more control and a sixth gear, which lowers rpms at high speeds and saves gas. If you're going to go with the AT why not wait 'til the 7AT comes out in '09 model?.

Old 07-06-2008, 11:32 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
and if you get the non sport, like I did, you can still come back and add the paddles, which will make the auto a much more fun car to drive. hell, the DS mode alone makes it more fun, but bad on my mileage.... lol

Old 07-06-2008, 11:34 PM
coming from owning only manual vehicles...the 5AT hasnt disappointed me but im sure the 6MT is more fun!

cant go wrong with either

Old 07-06-2008, 11:49 PM
DS mode is a joke.

Get the 6MT.

Old 07-07-2008, 01:33 AM
Originally Posted by Laughing Man
DS mode is a joke.

Get the 6MT.
can't agree more. sure it isn't for everyone, but the 6mt is just much more fun. it's also nice knowing you have the "true" g35s, and not some hacked together faker journey sport

Old 07-07-2008, 02:26 AM
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by oldfatslow
I'm upgrading from an Acura TSX to an Infiniti G35 and would appreciate the feedback of owners comparing the Sport 6MT to the Auto with the sport package.

I test drove the auto and was delighted with the power. My TSX pales in comparison and the 6 speed manual in it was necessary to get the most from the VTEC engine and provide a sporty driving experience.

Another complication -- I'm not a big fan of paddle shifters but I really like the upgraded seats in the Sport package. I'm beginning to think that a regular journey with the sport seats but no paddle shifters would be ideal (but I know that's not available).

As my local dealer does not have a 6MT I was hoping some owners who have driven both could comment on the virtues of both. Please share your experience with the 6MT or Sports package cars.

Thanks.
DS is great, for those that know/learn how to use it properly.

Paddle shifters can always be taken out, and I'm sure you can sell them here in the FS section; we sell tons of kits.

Anyone who complains about a MT in traffic does not truely know how to drive a MT; the VQ's torque lets you sit in traffic in 3rd gear at 5 mph with the clutch fully engaged.

Old 07-07-2008, 03:53 AM
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
I tried DS before but it shifts much slower than manuals. Supposed I go to 7000rpm and shift up, the rpm will hit red line before it completely shifts to upper gear. I don't know if it is the same for other G35 but my 07 G35 non-sport does that.

Old 07-07-2008, 09:21 AM
the a/t does shift a little slower than a manual would (with a knowledgeable driver). I've had lots of m/ts and was actually looking for one this round but they didn't have one and after testing the auto, i felt it was fine and the ds mode is better, but again, its an auto, it's only going to shift so fast in stock form.

Old 07-07-2008, 09:39 AM
If you want an auto, I'd wait right now until the 09's are out so you can pickup the 7at. If you decide on a 6mt your benefits for the 09's are less and buying now would net you a better deal probably.

Personally I've always preferred a manual car. I've had only 2 automatics in my life and both of those cars were boring and I hated them. Even my cheap 800 dollar cars were more fun because they were manuals. The G35's manual is a blast to drive. It's a little tricky due to the high engagement point on the clutch and the sensitive throttle but that just makes it that much more fun. :-)

Old 07-07-2008, 11:10 AM
I wouldn't drive a mt vehicle unless it was a true pure bred sports car.
The ds mode is a great option as you just slide it over to ds and drive it. The car automatically downshifts when braking and upshifts when accel, however will hold the gear that is optimum for the speed you are traveling. You can always manually down/upshift but this will take it out of ds mode and you'll have to use the triptronic shifter which isn't a good option for accelerating. The ds isn't for fuel economy but you always have the option of d for this.
If you can keep it under 60 mph your fuel economy is great, anything over will cause a decline, the new 7 speed might be different and is probably worth waiting for.

Old 07-07-2008, 11:36 AM
that's funny. I see much better fuel economy (on the freeway) at about 80mph as opposed to 60~65. gear ratios much? haha

if i wasn't so lazy I would look up the ratios of the top gears in both trannies and the FD's from both

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 6MT Vs. Auto w/ Sport Package