G35 Sedan V36 2007- 08 Discussion about the 2nd Generation G35 Sedan 2007 - 08

Weird Steering Feel

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-25-2008, 09:12 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Weird Steering Feel

Guys,
My Car is 2 months old with about 6.5 K miles (Two trips to Indiana from Virginia); The steering has started feeling really numb and has no feel to it. I drive my car in limits and never bash it or anything. Seems like it pulls to the right a tad bit and then i have to just twitch it to the left a tad bit. It's making my arms feel weird now. It's starting to feel unsafe since i dont feel in much control of the car. has anybody had any similar issues. I dont know what to do coz i cant even drive it for another month if the dealer says that it is running at factory specs. I am meeting a dealership on saturday for this thing.

Old 07-25-2008, 11:06 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hit any rough bumps or potholes? It's not your steering, your alignment is simply off (bumps will knock the tires around so they aren't aligned properly, causing your car to drive towards a particular direction as well as cause excessive wear on your tires).

Any car will do this if you hit any bumps or potholes hard enough. Easy fix that any dealership or tire shop can do for you. It's good practice to do this every once in a while anyway. Your alignment/camber can be off without you really noticing and it'll eat at your tires.

Old 07-25-2008, 11:14 AM
thanks Fecurtis, I imagine and hope it is just the alignment. But do you think that would create the numbness in the steering also. Also, is the dealer gonna charge me a fat amount for that? Would you know? Also, the roads in Richmond VA are bad but have not really hit anything substantial aside from the regular rough roads.

Old 07-25-2008, 11:21 AM
Originally Posted by sameerg
thanks Fecurtis, I imagine and hope it is just the alignment. But do you think that would create the numbness in the steering also. Also, is the dealer gonna charge me a fat amount for that? Would you know? Also, the roads in Richmond VA are bad but have not really hit anything substantial aside from the regular rough roads.
I grew up in Richmond so yeah I know what you mean. You're most likely better off going to a tire shop. I'd imagine it'd run you about $75-$100 for a 4 wheel alignment if you went there.

As for the numbness, thats unusual, thats typically not a symptom of your tires being out of alignment. If it is something with the steering and what not it should be covered under warranty.

I paid an extra $1600 dollars when I bought my car for scheduled maintenance for 5 year/75,000 miles. They aligned my tires at 15,000 miles.

Old 07-25-2008, 11:29 AM
Hmmm, Yeah, i am having it checked tomorrow. Wish me luck.

Old 07-25-2008, 10:41 PM
Received 184 Likes on 159 Posts
Keep us posted, it will be good to know if its an issue that comes up down the road for some of us... thanks

Old 07-26-2008, 05:52 PM
Moderation-free
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
I'd go with an alignment problem, have felt stuff like this in previous cars. Good luck!

Old 07-26-2008, 10:53 PM
Guys, i took the car to the dealer today, they aligned it in warranty. the camber was off a hair, but the wheel does feel kind a tight now. not as much as it was with the new car though.
ALignment is in warranty until 12 K miles for all those who did not know .
Also, the dealer told me to put the tire pressure to 35 lbs. i think thats too much. OPinions?

Old 07-27-2008, 12:29 AM
Received 184 Likes on 159 Posts
i have between 36-38psi in my aftermarket low profile tires, but i would imagine you should follow the psi specified on the door jam for the stock, still 35 sounds ok to me, though 33 would be ideal.

Old 07-28-2008, 01:17 PM
I reduced the pressure to 32-33 psi. Car feels so much more planted on the road. Personally i feel there is a huge difference from 35. Less harsh from minor road imperfections, better handling, more stable, Feel more confident with the car etc. etc.

Old 07-28-2008, 04:56 PM
Good to hear, glad things got sorted.

Where on Earth is there an Infiniti dealership in Richmond anyway? In Chesterfield somewhere?

Old 07-28-2008, 10:45 PM
There's a pearson infiniti on west broad street IN richmond VA. RIght opposite the BMW Dealership and next to the mercedes dealership

Old 07-29-2008, 07:19 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2008 G35 Journey Sedan no sunroof
What was your previous car? Steering is weird for me since it has much less power assist than my Q45, esp in parking maneuvers. But I'm slowly getting used to it.

Lower psi will make the steering feel heavier.

Old 07-29-2008, 08:15 PM
Received 85 Likes on 74 Posts
Originally Posted by greg_atlanta
What was your previous car? Steering is weird for me since it has much less power assist than my Q45
I have to agree with this, as I also needed some time to get used to my G, compared to our Acura MDX.
The steering is tight, but in a good way.

I recently had an 08 G35X loaner and I immediately noticed the difference in steering feel when comparing it to my 07.
I don't know why, but the steering was no where near as tight and offered very little feedback on the road.

It may have been the car and not the fact that it was an 08 though.

Old 07-29-2008, 09:15 PM
My last car was an 03 honda accord. i am not worried about the steering being heavy, but it was feeling like i was not in control of the car and kind of detached, i would love it if it felt like the car was hugging the road and if the car felt planted. I hope you guys know what i mean

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Weird Steering Feel