G35 Sedan V36 2007- 08 Discussion about the 2nd Generation G35 Sedan 2007 - 08

G37 Pricing Details?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-03-2008, 11:41 AM
Received 72 Likes on 51 Posts
Originally Posted by Mike S.
Dave,

Meaning...$450 to $1850 depending on model?...or..is that the range that he expects the average incrase to be?

Mike S.

Ps...does that make sense what I'm asking?
$450 to the bottom line MSRP and closer to $1850 for the Sport with the big brakes. Obviously, the brakes are a bit expensive.

Old 09-03-2008, 11:57 AM
Received 72 Likes on 51 Posts
Originally Posted by G-Funk78
I would have to believe the price difference will be around 600-800 tops. The reason I'm saying this, and of course this is just my opinion, is that look at the car market right now. The luxury and near-luxury segment is really hurting due to the economy and fuel mileage. They're dropping in a 7-spd auto hoping that will help a little but those of that understand car dynamics know that adding two taller gears will do nothing more than bump Highway MPGs 1 maybe 2 which won't make the buyer go "oh look it's now fuel efficient". If they bump the price more than $1K their sales will really hurt because everyone (including myself) who's on the fence right now ready to buy will snap up the remaining 08s. People looking to buy the G aren't going to pay $2K more for bigger breaks, uglier wheels, 22 more hp and a few more ft/lbs of torque (oh yeah and dial heated seat switches...oohhh who cares...and the re-designed side mirrors).
That 7AT isn't just for an MPG increase. The torque multiplication between gears 1, 2, and 3 is far better. It is quite likely that on street tires, the 7AT will be the faster car now. The brakes are expensive and are an option many probably won't go for. Infiniti will have to recoup their costs somehow. $800 won't cut it, even on a mass produced car. You have to remember the G, even the G37, undercuts it's competition by thousands of dollars.

I have to tell you all that I recently test drove a 2009 Maxima fully loaded with prem/tech pacakges and I was impressed. I just can't understand how the Maxima gets signal mirrors, cooled driver seat, double-pane sunroof, power rear-sunshade etc. etc. and the G doesn't?? Can somebody explain that? In the power department, it boasts 290hp and 261 ft/lb of torque which is only 16 less hp than the current G and 7 less ft/lb of torque less than the current G. The price is a little less and it only takes regular gas vs. premium and gets 19/26 vs. 17/24 in the MPG department. I know it's front wheel vs. rear wheel but the sport package also offers 19in wheels which you can't even get on the G...it comes standard with 18s. Why would Nissan/Infiniti do that?? To me they undercut the G...anyone else feel this way??
The Maxima is Nissan's halo sedan and the G35 is Infinit's entry level car. It is a different market. You also have to keep in mind that a Maxima with those options will price out in the $38K range which is more than most G35 sedans. With regards to power, the Maxima might be close to the G in terms of HP, but it's always been way. Regardless, the G35 has been the faster car whether it's comparing a 1st 260hp G35 to a 255hp Maxima or the 2nd gen 306hp G35 to the 290hp Maxmia. A 290hp Maxima is a solid 14.5-14.6@96mph car. A 306hp G35 is a solid 13.9@102mph car. That's a huge difference. The Maxima is still dumbed down by FWD whereas the G has a RWD setup with a pretty elaborate and expensive suspension setup. There is a lot cost associated with that setup.

Old 09-03-2008, 11:59 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If that's true Dave then you're talking $1850 more for the Sport package with the Akebono Brakes and then figure you won't get the $2K dealer cash right now so you're looking at $4k more for the 2009 not to mention you won't be able to get 0.9% financing because Infiniti will try over charging for the car. I don't care what anyone says...if that's true what you say then there's no way in hell I'd buy the 2009 for $4K more plus a higher interest rate. Let's say the rate is 4.9% or something like that...you'd be talking about $500 more over the life of a 5-yr loan not to mention sales tax. So in TX for example with 6.25% sales tax, that would mean the 2009 would cost about $5K more and for what?? Wow!

Originally Posted by DaveB
$450 to the bottom line MSRP and closer to $1850 for the Sport with the big brakes. Obviously, the brakes are a bit expensive.

Old 09-03-2008, 12:14 PM
Dave, I hear you on the Maxima. I just said I'm impressed with it but didn't say I'd buy one over the G yet. I'm just frustrated because the one I test drove was already priced at $37K flat fully loaded no kidding. That's about 150 more than an '08 G I'm looking at with the Sport, Nav and Prem packages but I agree on the RWD platform and the fact that G is quicker. I just think it's stupid that Nissan doesn't have some of this technology in the G especially the cooled seats and side mirror turn signals.

Originally Posted by DaveB
That 7AT isn't just for an MPG increase. The torque multiplication between gears 1, 2, and 3 is far better. It is quite likely that on street tires, the 7AT will be the faster car now. The brakes are expensive and are an option many probably won't go for. Infiniti will have to recoup their costs somehow. $800 won't cut it, even on a mass produced car. You have to remember the G, even the G37, undercuts it's competition by thousands of dollars.

The Maxima is Nissan's halo sedan and the G35 is Infinit's entry level car. It is a different market. You also have to keep in mind that a Maxima with those options will price out in the $38K range which is more than most G35 sedans. With regards to power, the Maxima might be close to the G in terms of HP, but it's always been way. Regardless, the G35 has been the faster car whether it's comparing a 1st 260hp G35 to a 255hp Maxima or the 2nd gen 306hp G35 to the 290hp Maxmia. A 290hp Maxima is a solid 14.5-14.6@96mph car. A 306hp G35 is a solid 13.9@102mph car. That's a huge difference. The Maxima is still dumbed down by FWD whereas the G has a RWD setup with a pretty elaborate and expensive suspension setup. There is a lot cost associated with that setup.

Old 09-03-2008, 02:54 PM
Originally Posted by G-Funk78
If that's true Dave then you're talking $1850 more for the Sport package with the Akebono Brakes and then figure you won't get the $2K dealer cash right now so you're looking at $4k more for the 2009 not to mention you won't be able to get 0.9% financing because Infiniti will try over charging for the car. I don't care what anyone says...if that's true what you say then there's no way in hell I'd buy the 2009 for $4K more plus a higher interest rate. Let's say the rate is 4.9% or something like that...you'd be talking about $500 more over the life of a 5-yr loan not to mention sales tax. So in TX for example with 6.25% sales tax, that would mean the 2009 would cost about $5K more and for what?? Wow!
Just be sure to include in your decision that the minute you drive off in an 08 model when the 09s are already coming out you just bought a 1 year old car as far as the resale market is concerned. Your instantaneous "drive-off depreciation" difference could easily be as much as your $4-5K cost savings.

Example (fictional numbers to illustrate the point):
- You pay $32K for a 2008 G35 but decide after a month to sell it for something else. The market value for the car, which is already last year's model, is $24K. In this scenario you lost $8K value essentially the moment you bought the car.

- Now say you pay $37K a comparably equipped 2009 G37 so you just paid $5K more for your 09 vs. the 08 you could have had instead. Again, you decide to sell after a month. This time the car's worth $33K because it still the latest model. In this scenario you lost $4K value the moment you bought the car.

In these examples you really are only saving $1000 getting the 08 instead of the 09. You may still come out ahead like this but it won't be by all that much. Are 2 lb-ft, 22hp, bigger brakes, 1mpg, and seat heater dials worth $1000? That's up to you, but it's certainly a much tougher question than the $4-5K you suggested.

Old 09-03-2008, 03:06 PM
Your point is valid if I were to turn around and try selling the car or trading it in right away but that argument also only holds weight if I were to do that BEFORE the 2009 becomes a year old and the 10s roll out on the lots.

I don't know why anyone would trade a car in or sell it having not had it for even a year. At the point where the 09s become a year old, the point is mute so you DO in fact realize a 4-5K savings on the 2008 vs. the 2009.

Originally Posted by oab97
Just be sure to include in your decision that the minute you drive off in an 08 model when the 09s are already coming out you just bought a 1 year old car as far as the resale market is concerned. Your instantaneous "drive-off depreciation" difference could easily be as much as your $4-5K cost savings.

Example (fictional numbers to illustrate the point):
- You pay $32K for a 2008 G35 but decide after a month to sell it for something else. The market value for the car, which is already last year's model, is $24K. In this scenario you lost $8K value essentially the moment you bought the car.

- Now say you pay $37K a comparably equipped 2009 G37 so you just paid $5K more for your 09 vs. the 08 you could have had instead. Again, you decide to sell after a month. This time the car's worth $33K because it still the latest model. In this scenario you lost $4K value the moment you bought the car.

In these examples you really are only saving $1000 getting the 08 instead of the 09. You may still come out ahead like this but it won't be by all that much. Are 2 lb-ft, 22hp, bigger brakes, 1mpg, and seat heater dials worth $1000? That's up to you, but it's certainly a much tougher question than the $4-5K you suggested.

Old 09-03-2008, 07:06 PM
I understand that only those with more money than sense sell a car within a year after buying it new. I was just exaggerating to make the point.

Your point is valid that over time the difference will shrink, but in 4 years an 08 will still be considered 5 years old and the 09 bought within the same month will only be considered 4 years old. At that point the difference might only be $1-2K though. One point I fully concede is that if your leasing it doesn't make a lick of difference and the 08 looks really good. In the end, I agree with your premise that the 08 is a better deal. I just wanted to make sure fellow forum readers were considering the whole picture. The only reason I'm getting an 09 is because I'm on the employee purchase program and can get the new model at ~$250 over invoice.

Old 09-04-2008, 01:13 AM
Received 47 Likes on 32 Posts
I think people will smile about the pricing

Old 09-04-2008, 07:22 AM
Originally Posted by da mayor
The 07-08 G35 owners won't be smiling.

Dean

Old 09-04-2008, 09:34 AM
smile?

When do you expect official pricing to be released???

Old 09-04-2008, 09:40 AM
Received 26 Likes on 21 Posts
I know I am.

My 2005 will be off warranty soon so I'd like to pick up a used one year old 2009 G37 for a few thousand less.

Old 09-04-2008, 10:37 AM
Received 47 Likes on 32 Posts
Originally Posted by rayainsw
When do you expect official pricing to be released???
soon. With the new features offered the price is definitely a good value still on the G37 sedans and G37 coupes

Old 09-04-2008, 08:41 PM
Originally Posted by DeanOU
The 07-08 G35 owners won't be smiling.

Dean
I'm fine with my 08. You can't win with Infiniti. There is always a mid model change, and they redesign every 4-5 years. So the people that buy the 2009 in, lets say in january-march, now will have a redesign coming out in a year and a half after they buy it. I bought it when I needed it. No regrets. I'll have 3-4 years of driving this great car. Then I'll trade it in for the second year of the redesign(2011).

Old 09-05-2008, 08:52 AM
Originally Posted by loudog2
You can't win with Infiniti.
You can't win financially buying a car. Value drops the moment you drive if off the dealers lot. Look at BMW, those who purchase the current generation body in 330 (only to be replace by 335 next model year) must feel like they got take in. Those who got the new M3 faced a facelift the year afterwards.

Old 09-05-2008, 09:13 AM
+1^ If you always wait for the next and best, you'll never buy anything. There is always something new and better down the road. I can't wait until the redesign buyers(2011 or so) give the 2009-10 G37 buyers grief. I'm enjoying what I have. Just like the new TV I bought. The new model with more features came out the following year. But, I needed a TV. Sports are great in 60 inches of HD. Even though my girlfriend can't stand it.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: G37 Pricing Details?