G35 Sedan V36 2007- 08 Discussion about the 2nd Generation G35 Sedan 2007 - 08

Computer lockup

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-18-2008, 09:40 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Computer lockup

Twice over the past 3 months, I've had the center stack computer lock up. I start the car and the audio, nav, and HVAC systems are stuck in the state they were in when I shut off the car last. None of the buttons are operable. After about 5-10 minutes, the system reboots and everything is back to normal. Shutting the car off and cranking it back up does not solve the problem when it's in this state.

I mentioned this to the service tech a few weeks ago when I took it in for an oil change, and he hadn't heard of this. They checked for any codes and nothing turned up. His first thought was that the hard drive may have something going wrong with it. Too me it sounds like the computer never properly shut down. Each time I was heading out to work so I didn't have the time to disconnect the battery to see if that would reset it.

Has anyone else seen this?

Old 08-19-2008, 05:40 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
This happened to my car last week. I couldn't figure out what was going on... I actually didn't notice until i wanted to change the radio station. The screen was frozen after the infiniti logo and none of the lights lit up on the center console. None of the buttons worked and at a red light i turned the car off and turned it back on for it to be stuck in the same position. I let it be for a few mins and while i was driving everything just seemed to work again. It seemed like it lagged and finally caught up to itself. It was weird and i didn't think too much of it until I saw this post. I hope its nothing too serious. I'll ask my dealership around me about it and see what they come up with.

Old 08-19-2008, 08:16 PM
Received 85 Likes on 74 Posts
I've only heard of this with the 08's and I remember reading about it a bit here when they first came out.
Haven't seen or heard of it much since then though.... so I just assumed there was a TSB for this.

Old 08-19-2008, 11:01 PM
The tech at the dealer here in Huntsville hadn't heard of it. I didn't pay too much attention to it until the second time it happened. I'm an embedded software design engineer so I often deal with issues that happen once or twice but can't be reproduced. At least it has been consistent in "fixing" itself (if you can call happening 2 times consistent)

Old 08-20-2008, 09:25 AM
I also had this occur about 8 weeks after I took delivery. Only the one time (knock on wood) for me. Pretty much the same as has been described by RocketCity08. Everything is exactly as when you shut the car off previously, but the controls are locked up. I noticed it first when I saw the digital clock had not changed time since I shut the car off. After a few minutes the Infiniti logo appeared as it re-booted. I made mention it when I went in for my first oil change in late March, about one month after the incident. Same story as others reported, Tech had not heard of this before.

I see both cars reporting have Prem, Nav and Tech as does mine. Any possibility that the affects only those will all the tech goodies?

Old 08-22-2008, 04:08 PM
Ditto it has happened to my twice. Just seems that it got stuck as if i never did turn off the car. Unfortunately here in the south texas with this weather, trust me its not nice having the ac stuck on low settings after the car has been sitting out for a while. By while I mean 10 mins +

Old 08-22-2008, 04:20 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
LOL, when I test drove an audi A5 the other day its computer locked up. The sales guy was getting really nervous and kept saying "this never has happened".

Old 08-22-2008, 06:05 PM
Same thing happened to me on my 08...twice so far. Also the phone wipe/directory disappeared once as well. Wiped not only my Treo 750, but also the phonebook in the car.

It's just a glitch. Maybe two times is the magic number and never again after that. Time will tell...right?

-s-

Old 08-22-2008, 06:43 PM
Fellas it happened to my buddies 08 jourey with prem/nav. They replaced the whole audio (excluding speakers) and nav system. It may become a re-call. call Infiniti corporate

Old 08-22-2008, 06:51 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I had this happen twice in the first month I had my car. I was actually getting pretty pissed off, and was going to take it in the next time it happened. However it's been 8 months now with no repeats, so hopefully whatever it was sorted itself out.

Old 08-23-2008, 12:14 AM
Originally Posted by robosdr88
I also had this occur about 8 weeks after I took delivery. Only the one time (knock on wood) for me. Pretty much the same as has been described by RocketCity08. Everything is exactly as when you shut the car off previously, but the controls are locked up. I noticed it first when I saw the digital clock had not changed time since I shut the car off. After a few minutes the Infiniti logo appeared as it re-booted. I made mention it when I went in for my first oil change in late March, about one month after the incident. Same story as others reported, Tech had not heard of this before.

I see both cars reporting have Prem, Nav and Tech as does mine. Any possibility that the affects only those will all the tech goodies?
Mine only has prem and nav and my screen has frozen twice now.

Old 08-23-2008, 02:45 AM
i have had this problem occur to me more than 5 or 6 times now.

Old 08-24-2008, 10:42 PM
My 08 will be going in to get the control unit replaced this week because my presets wont scroll so i am hoping that this might fix the navi screen freezing. The dealer also said that this might be a reason so im hoping they were right.

Old 08-24-2008, 11:10 PM
Looks like prem/nav is the base combination? A bit bigger percentage of possible vehicles that may be susceptible.

The one occurrence is the only issue I have had so far with this car. Knowing others are also experiencing this doesn't give me any warm fuzzies that it will not happen again, even if it has been 7 months since the one time.

Good luck with the replacement, let us know what happens.

Old 08-24-2008, 11:33 PM
It just happened to my 08 today. I noticed something was worng when I started the car and put the gear in reverse and rear view camera didn't show up on the screen. Like everyone describes, none of the buttons worked until the system rebooted by itself.

Infiniti should be aware of this issue and resolved as soon as possible.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Computer lockup