G35 Sedan V36 2007- 08 Discussion about the 2nd Generation G35 Sedan 2007 - 08

Is the G worth it?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-11-2008, 12:26 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Is the G worth it?

I currently drive a 05 TL. Few things I love about the car...

1: Its styling
2: Its beautiful/smart interior
3: The torque

Things I hate about it.

1: Its auto (my fault)
2: Its made in america (non JDM and very few aftermarket parts)
3: Front wheel drive
4: Skweeky engine bay

Those are off the top of my head.

Heres my situation. Im looking to get a 6MT 08 G35xS. Im upside down 13k on my TL. I know that it will get rolled over on to the G35, Thats why im planing on leasing? Or will financing be more in the question? Im trying to sell my rims and Ill be able to nock out some CC bills. Therefore apply for a personal loan to pay off more of my bills and get my credit score up. Then Be able to put some of that money to my negative equity.

My main question is, is the G worth the extra $$$? Will the G top the TL in everyway? and what will be better for me lease or finance?

Old 09-11-2008, 12:35 AM
my opnion:

all the positives of the g will never outweigh the extra 13k that you pay you are upside down. sounds like a financial situation and if i was in your position i would be looking someplace else to spend the money than on another car

Old 09-11-2008, 12:37 AM
Obviously this is a decision each person needs to make for themselves. But given the financial details you revealed in your message I would not be in the market for a new car if I were in your situation. I mean, is there really anything wrong with your 05 TL? All the things you listed as "things I hate about it" are really just preferences, not problems. Well, other than maybe the last thing but that's still not really a problem just an annoyance.

The G is definitely worth it on it's own. But being 13k upside down on your car loan is pretty substantial! That's an entire entry level compact car!!!

Old 09-11-2008, 12:40 AM
Hold The Line

Received 622 Likes on 406 Posts
Originally Posted by TakeFlight
Obviously this is a decision each person needs to make for themselves. But given the financial details you revealed in your message I would not be in the market for a new car if I were in your situation. I mean, is there really anything wrong with your 05 TL? All the things you listed as "things I hate about it" are really just preferences, not problems. Well, other than maybe the last thing but that's still not really a problem just an annoyance.

The G is definitely worth it on it's own. But being 13k upside down on your car loan is pretty substantial! That's an entire entry level compact car!!!
Well said. I agree. I wouldnt do it in your situation. 13k upside down is a lot of money on top

Old 09-11-2008, 12:45 AM
Absoluetly Worth It

Yes, the G is absolutely worth it. I had a 2003 Acura CL Type-S, 6-speed stick. I loved that car, but that love started to fade as the car got older. I also prefer rear wheel drive cars. It is what I grew up on. But I wanted to get another Acura, since my CL was a pleasure to own. So I test drove a 2007 Acura TL Type-S. Wow, was I disappointed. Styling yes, but this new car, with 27 miles on it, rattled from the dash and the rear seat. The torque steer was very noticable. And the left muffler was off its weld, moving as I came to a stop. Personally, I did not like interior...too many buttons.

I was going to keep my CL until I drove the new G35S sedan. Wow, what a difference between the TL Type-S and G35S. The rear wheel drive was immediately noticeable. I absolutely love the interior. Less buttons, better layout and design in my opinion. But the power is where why I made the choice of the G. It roared down the street. The car felt like a rocket ship, but still felt rock solid on the ground. It was a much better driving experience than the TL.

Even though my G35S is an automatic (I had to make the switch for many reasons), this car exceeds my love of my CL in every way. The styling, ride, power, interior, and overall enjoyment convinces me everyday that I made the right choice.

Of course, this is my opinion. You need to decide for yourself. There is a new TL out soon. And the G35 will become a G37 soon as well. You have options. I encourage you to drive all of them (and throw in the Lexus IS for good measures). This will enable you to decide what is worth it. But when I drive my G, I do not look at other cars with envy. And when I walk up to it in a parking lot, I cannot believe it is my car.

Good luck

Old 09-11-2008, 12:52 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Pay off your debt, then look for a new (or used) car..

Old 09-11-2008, 12:56 AM
Originally Posted by herschelg123
I had a 2003 Acura CL Type-S, 6-speed stick. I loved that car, but that love started to fade as the car got older.
I loved my 2001 Acura CL Type S (auto) until the transmission died (well documented problem for that generation CL/TL, many people were affected) and then two months after it was replaced with a rebuilt transmission (just didn't trust it since some people were on their 3rd and 4th transmissions at that point) I traded it in for a 2003 G35 which I kept for 6 years until I traded it in for my 2008 G35x last week. I guess that speaks to whether or not I think the G is worth it. However, I think the OP was asking based on his financial situation and being 13k upside down on his TL. And in that situation I just don't think it's worth it if there isn't anything wrong with the 05 TL.

Old 09-11-2008, 01:21 AM
Heed everyone's advice and wait until you're in a better financial situation. 13K is a HUGE hit and no car is worth it unless you have money to blow...and a lot of it.

Clearly we all love our cars, but with that said, we still are logical and don't want you to make your situation worse by buying into another car.

Old 09-11-2008, 01:31 AM
^^^ Totally agree with above posters. The G is great but 13,000 is greater. Your TL is barely 4 years old and since you're so upside down it makes no sense to get rid of for a more expensive car that will only drag you down deeper. Be happy with the TL, pay off your debts then think about another car.

Old 09-11-2008, 01:45 AM
no such thing as a 6mt g35xS. x = auto.

Old 09-11-2008, 05:13 AM
^^ hmm, really? LOL now i sound like a complete IDIOT! Well the point is I want a 08 sedan thats 6spd. oh nvm. it wasnt a Sport had a primium package.

But to all that responded. Thank you guys for your honest opinion. And really got me thinking on the right track. Ill have to stick it out for better finacial reasons

BUT MARK MY WORDS....I WILL BE BACK!!!! LOL

Old 09-11-2008, 06:48 AM
Great choice iWish!!!!

Your original plan where you were thinking about getting the G, getting wayyy deeper into a hole and then working on your credit score is definitely NOT the way to go. I'm glad you are heeding the advice of those on this board as decisions like that are what get people into trouble in the first place. I work with people and their credit every single day and the cycle of bad decisions really spirals out of control. By stopping the momentum with your decision to wait you've just taken a big step.

One thing you will find on this board is that if anyone asks if the G is the car to buy you will almost always get a resounding YES!!!! For everyone to put that on the back burner and recommend you not buy one is really something. That's good people doing the right thing!

Why don't you work on getting the credit cards bills down, working on your credit and then reward yourself by looking for something new once you have your TL paid off (or at least not upside down). Just don't go nuts and get yourself back in a hole.

Hopefully we WILL see you back, and hopefully you'll have great news about how the wait was worth it!

Remember - with better credit the G WILL BE CHEAPER for you to own. Won't that be great!

Best of luck and I know you are making the right decision to wait!

Jay

Old 09-11-2008, 07:27 AM
Your getting great honest advice hear. Although we all love our G's, it's simply not worth losing ANY money during the trade-in. Wait until you've paid off the TL or wait until you can at least break even before adventuring out to purchase a new vehicle. The TL is a phenominal car and there it sounds like yours is reliable transportation. Continue to enjoy it.

In response to the pros questin 3: If you think the TL has torque, you are in for an eye opening experience when you drive the 08 G35.

Old 09-11-2008, 08:37 AM
^ must you have told me about the tq from the G!?!?!?!?! LOL that makes me want to get one NOW! lol naw. but imma chill for a bit. I hope you guys will remember me. Ill make a name for my self. How about I post up my recent car's so you all can understand where I came from..HERE WE GO!

1st car

2nd car

3rd car

2nd set of rims

3rd set of rims

4th car

2nd set of rims

3rd set of rims

4th set of rims

5th car

2nd set of rims

3rd set of rims

Now do you guys see how I ended up in debt! hahaha shet. I regret it all!

Old 09-11-2008, 08:54 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Wow, you've gone through a G in wheels

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Is the G worth it?