G35 Sedan V36 2007- 08 Discussion about the 2nd Generation G35 Sedan 2007 - 08

Gas up your G's tonight

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-23-2008, 02:37 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
supply and demand do have a slight effect on the gas market, but as previously stated speculators are more the drive behind the price of oil.

The one other thing to remember is that OPEC recently met and decided to cut production since the price of oil was dropping...

Just another wrench thrown at the plan of buying gas as needed. As soon as the OPEC countries feel they are not making enough cash, they cut production.

In the end, we all bought 30something thousand dollar sports luxury sedans. Is a few dollars gonna affect us that much, probably not, but you can't just be negligent towards saving in general. Is it beneficial to wait a half hour to save 2 dollars like someone previously mentioned, prob not, working for that extra half hour will probably yield all of us more than two dollars (unless you don't have a job currently, then it might be to your benefit to wait the half hour in line who knows).. anyway i was just passing along my 2 cents from watching the market yest.
Good luck filling up to all, at whatever price you may find.

Old 09-23-2008, 05:27 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Is expensive gas going to change my lifestyle?

Nope.

But, it's just frustrating knowing you're getting screwed out of your money, whether it's for pennies or thousands.

Old 09-23-2008, 05:34 PM
All i gotta say it's good seeing them going down. Today here in the CPT (compton ) i pumped Chevron 91 $3.71 compared to probably a bit over a month ago well over $4! I just hope they keep going down!!

Old 09-23-2008, 05:43 PM
While I do understand to some extent when people say, "you bought a 30k or 40k car, why are you worried about gas prices?". But, it's how quick gas prices can go up that's the issue. I mean, for those of us that drive fairly high miles, gas going up 50 cents or $1 can be $50, $100 or even $200 more per month. That adds up big time over the long haul. For example, if you are in your 20s or 30s, that $50-$200 per month going into a retirement account instead of OPEC could mean retiring many years earlier. But a lot of people don't stop to look at it that way. I realize there's nothing we can do about gas prices and so I try not to dwell on the extra cash leaving my wallet compared to a year ago or 5 years ago. But, I think it helps to keep this in perspective instead of being dismissive about it and understand why people complain and why they are concerned about MPG, etc. It doesn't matter if you own a $5000 car or a $50,000 car, an extra $50-$200 per month could be put to better use instead of paying for higher gas prices in either case.

Old 09-23-2008, 05:47 PM
^+1000000000000000000 !!

Old 09-23-2008, 10:04 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I did take rising fuel prices into account before I bought my G. Sure, it would be nice to have the money in my pocket or my wife would appreciate shopping more (lol), but I don't think I would consider this car in 6 years, so why not do it now. We have it good here still when compared to the Europe and other places, and I'm sure over time we'll get to 'world prices' and a 3.5 litre engine would seem ridiculous (some of my european colleagues gasp at 3.5L).
Anyways, came across this site, let's enjoy while it lasts!

http://www.portfolio.com/interactive...ound-the-World

Old 09-23-2008, 11:37 PM
Originally Posted by Travellin007
I did take rising fuel prices into account before I bought my G. Sure, it would be nice to have the money in my pocket or my wife would appreciate shopping more (lol), but I don't think I would consider this car in 6 years, so why not do it now. We have it good here still when compared to the Europe and other places, and I'm sure over time we'll get to 'world prices' and a 3.5 litre engine would seem ridiculous (some of my european colleagues gasp at 3.5L).
Anyways, came across this site, let's enjoy while it lasts!

http://www.portfolio.com/interactive...ound-the-World
For the past couple of years I really wanted to hold out and buy a car that really made a statement about getting away from oil. Unfortunately, that car doesn't exist for a "reasonable" price yet. It's just not mainstream enough at this point in time. But, I feel there is a decent chance that by the time I'm ready for my next car (that hopefully won't be for at least 6 or 7 years as I just bought my 08 G) I will be able to buy something that is either fully electric or at worst an all electric drivetrain with only a small gas engine to charge the batteries (like the Chevy Volt). However, it remains to be seen how much variety there will be in alternative technology cars in that relatively short period of time.

I'm torn when it comes to gas prices. On one hand, I don't want gas prices to go higher because it reduces how much I can save for the future (like retirement). On the other hand, I think the only thing that will get this country to finally move off of oil is painfully high gas prices. It's too bad that we can't be progressive enough to solve this problem without feeling that pain first.

Old 09-27-2008, 11:18 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2008 G35 Journey Sedan no sunroof
Atlanta is very short on gas (long lines!), and very hard to find premium. I put 10 gallons of 87 octane when I was at 1/4 tank and car seems to be adjusting well. I didn't fill it at the time since I was hoping to dilute the 87 octane with premium at some point, but looks like I may have to fill up with 87 soon.

Old 09-27-2008, 05:15 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by TakeFlight
For the past couple of years I really wanted to hold out and buy a car that really made a statement about getting away from oil. Unfortunately, that car doesn't exist for a "reasonable" price yet. It's just not mainstream enough at this point in time. But, I feel there is a decent chance that by the time I'm ready for my next car (that hopefully won't be for at least 6 or 7 years as I just bought my 08 G) I will be able to buy something that is either fully electric or at worst an all electric drivetrain with only a small gas engine to charge the batteries (like the Chevy Volt). However, it remains to be seen how much variety there will be in alternative technology cars in that relatively short period of time.

I'm torn when it comes to gas prices. On one hand, I don't want gas prices to go higher because it reduces how much I can save for the future (like retirement). On the other hand, I think the only thing that will get this country to finally move off of oil is painfully high gas prices. It's too bad that we can't be progressive enough to solve this problem without feeling that pain first.
While it's good to look ahead and plan accordingly, there is alot to be said about living in the here and now. I had a budget in mind for insurance/gas/maintenance when I bought the G and can live with it, otherwise I would have gone a different (although not so much fun) route.
In my case, money saved wouldn't necessarily go towards retirement, I have a wife who loves to shop, loves clothes/shoes and watches far too many home reno shows! and oh yeah, not to mention the 4 kids, lol.