G35 Sedan V36 2007- 08 Discussion about the 2nd Generation G35 Sedan 2007 - 08

Thinking of going from 04 S2K to 07 G35, need info!!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-18-2008, 11:53 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i don't call my g "the couch" and "the jdm buick" for nothing. get it and you'll end up buying something tiny and light later on as a fun car

read: another s2k

Old 09-19-2008, 08:10 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I say grow up and get the G! think of you familia hommie. Pretty sad we have to help you decide. Trust me, you will not be disappointed with the G!

Old 09-19-2008, 08:12 AM
Originally Posted by kmuniz78
I say grow up and get the G! think of you familia hommie. Pretty sad we have to help you decide. Trust me, you will not be disappointed with the G!
No worries man, I AM thinking of the fam... I know my S2K and I are parting company, I've just got to decide what the next ride will be.

Great info guys, I really appreciate it!

Old 09-19-2008, 09:35 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
What I meant to say was, "grow up to the G."

Old 09-19-2008, 10:43 AM
at the end of the day i would much rather jump into my INFINITI

but a honda is just a honda.

Old 09-19-2008, 01:30 PM
ehhh, the s2k is unlike pretty much everything else honda. it's the one good car they make now.

i got rid of my STi for the G mainly because I had gotten to the point where I would avoid driving places after considering the condition of the roads, what kind of dudebro idiots would be revving on me, and how many times I'd have to get gas.

the gas situation hasn't improved, but the rest of my problems are solved now.

i do miss the performance...but not the problems.

Old 09-19-2008, 04:07 PM
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by RUCrash
If your buddy grabbed a flawless 04 S2K for 14, he got one hell of a deal. Guess they're a little harder to come by on the east coast, as I dont plan on giving mine away. (Not trying to be a dick here, but in VA they're fairly scarce, and go for book regularly)

I thought about the Evo/Sti as well, just hate the insurance on them. Not to mention I doubt they'd be really good for the occasional 8-hour road trips I have to take. Thought I'd look into something that was better rounded this time around. I cant argue they'd be more fun on the track, but I've got to look at other angles now as well.
The STI is actually cheaper to insure out here; regardless of what it is, it is still considered a 4-door sedan. The EVO costs more, because everyone crashes it; the STI tends to have a more mature audience.

The G is a great DD; it has enough torque to putz around town, and is very comfortable. The 2nd gen is MUCH quieter than the 1st gen. If you're getting the X, I can recommend some summer tires for you that will almost give the G similar turn-in feel as the s2k, but tires won't last too long.

Nothing will match the handling FEEL of the s2k unless you're planning on upgrading to a GT3. Even the elise doesn't keep up if you compare apples to apples (The elise comes with 60 treadwear tires from the factory... go figure).

Originally Posted by JP1080INC
at the end of the day i would much rather jump into my INFINITI

but a honda is just a honda.
The Honda is also more expensive than a G. Compare their base prices.

Old 09-19-2008, 05:53 PM
I was in the same situation last year 3 months before my son was born, but I owned a 91 MR2 turbo. I decided to sell all my toys except for my Nissan 200SX with a SR20DET to purchase a 07 G35S sedan. To be honest with you I think it was the best decision I made for my new born and family because of all the safety features and room that we needed for stroller's and baby bags. Not only was this going to be my family car but it was going to be my new project. Well on 9/1/08 my bro and his co-workers wanted me to go with them to the mountains and Julian to take some pictures of them on their bikes and a few S2k. To make a long story short they were very surprised to how I was right on there rear bumper the whole time coming in and out of the turns. They were more impressed because it was a 4 door sedan hugging all the turns and coming out of the turns like it was on a sling shot. So with that said I think its a very good all around car luxury, family, and sports.

Old 09-19-2008, 06:07 PM
Simply put, unless you can push your S2k to 80% of its limits, you'll never miss the handling

Old 09-19-2008, 09:00 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Update - Don't sell the StooK

Well I finally got my hands on our new G35X today. My wife wanted the SUV and I was tired of Stewie and looking for a rest from the noise and constant clutching in traffic. I was able to rack up about 80 miles of seat time on the same tight n twisty roads I play on with the S2000. Impressions.....

Keep Stewie! The G35X was certainly a welcome change. It's quiet and comfortable with a great powertrain. The easy torque and smooth automatic was indeed a relief. I had the Nav system on even though I knew the route and it's a great implementation of this sort of system. And it was great to actually hear the music on the Bose stereo. But.....on the really tight roads, I began to miss the small size and lightning reflexes of the S2K.

I tried to induce trailing throttle oversteer with the G35 on some tight turns. You could do it but, the G35 had nowhere near the response of the S2K.

The G35 had great forward visibility and left / right was fine too. But, nothing matches the feeling of being connected to the world around you like having the top down in a roadster.

I would describe the driving experience as somewhat like listening to your stereo with earplugs in. The sensations were there but muted. You could still feel the car but the responses were noticeably less like a race car. The G35 was certainly enjoyable and did nothing wrong, especially considering it's a 3,700 lb sedan. But, by the end of the ride, I wanted my race car back. Noise and wind and all.

I hope this doesn't screw with your head too much.

Old 09-19-2008, 09:10 PM
I had a DD G35 and a S2k weekend car for a reason

Old 09-19-2008, 10:43 PM
Received 184 Likes on 159 Posts
then get the g35s with tighter suspension and complete rear wheel drive that will be a better match IMO.

Old 09-19-2008, 10:54 PM
The jump from the base to sport suspension is about 10% the difference between a G and the s2k...

Old 09-20-2008, 01:06 AM
Don't know your $$$ situation but I have owned 3 S2K's. I just keep coming back to them. If you can swing it keep the S2K, buy the G35 and get an old 4 Runner. Reliable as hell (and you can haul your toys with it).
My stable of cars:

Old 09-20-2008, 10:35 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by dano100
Don't know your $$$ situation but I have owned 3 S2K's. I just keep coming back to them. If you can swing it keep the S2K, buy the G35 and get an old 4 Runner. Reliable as hell (and you can haul your toys with it).
My stable of cars:
Ha, your driveway looks like my driveway!
2008 G35X Obsidian Black
2008 S2K Chicane Silver (mine has red leather seats)
2006 XC90 Silver

The stable serves us well. The S2K is my daily driver. The G35 is my wife's. The Volvo is my winter backup vehicle, family vacation truckster, and general hauler of stuff.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Thinking of going from 04 S2K to 07 G35, need info!!