G35 Sedan V36 2007- 08 Discussion about the 2nd Generation G35 Sedan 2007 - 08

Thinking of going from 04 S2K to 07 G35, need info!!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-18-2008, 02:14 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thinking of going from 04 S2K to 07 G35, need info!!

Hey Guys/Gals, need some help from you all if you would!

I'm currently driving an 04 S2000, and I've got about 8 months before I need a back seat (Mrs. is expecting) so I'm now looking for the S2000 thrill + a babyseat. Please, let me hear the pros and cons of the car! I know it's fast in a straight line, but how is the 4 door on an Autocross course? What's the gas mileage REALLY like? How about the maintenance? Anything break on a real regular basis?

Sorry for such a crap, vague 1st post, but I really appreciate the help!!

Old 09-18-2008, 02:21 PM
Well I haven't taken the car on a racetrack yet but my gas mileage (spirited driving to say the least) is about 16mpg and handles like a dream. I have 9k miles on mine and then only problem I've had so far is the trunk carpeting coming lose which the dealer kindly fixed at no charge obviously.

I also owned an 05 FX and had absolutely zero problems with that for 82,000 miles.

Old 09-18-2008, 02:26 PM
as much as i love my g, dont do it =x the g is a pretty well rounded car with everything you need for a daily basis but and s2k brings a bigger smile when it comes to spirited driving hands down. gas mileage should be worser than your s2k as i get about around 15 city 19/20 highway with a pretty heavy foot. IMO i'd say just keep s2k and get a 4 banger civic/accord or something, then you can have a balanced i guess of a gas saver daily and a s2k weekend. all in all they are BOTH GREAT cars, but they just serve very different purposes.

Old 09-18-2008, 02:39 PM
Thanks for the input so far, I appreciate it! I wish I could keep the S2K and go with a 2nd driver, but the real thrill machines in my garage are 2-wheeled, (06 R1 for the track, Triumph for the long haul) so one of the toys has to go!

I really didnt expect the mileage to be so rough in the G... My S2K I manage to avg. around 21-23, but again that's without hitting the vtec real often.

Old 09-18-2008, 02:50 PM
my mistake, the g's mileage is completely based on your right foot. its capable of 20 city and 25/26+ highway with a very very light foot(shifting 2-3k rpms) but i'd doubt anyone would drive like that for a period of time. must be hell to drive that slow but its capable ^^. good luck though !

off topic, how much mileage on your s2k and how much are you giving it up for ?

Old 09-18-2008, 03:00 PM
Yeah, I hate driving slow too, but it's all good when you get out for an autocross.

When I get ready to sell the Honda, I'll probably ask book value for it. She's an 04, the darker grey, and is 99% stock (new stereo, K&N filter, ti. shift ****, clear markers, Honda factory wing). She's got 46K miles now, and booking right at 19.5. I've got an extended warranty as well for her, through 105K miles. The thing really is a 4-wheeled motorcycle

Old 09-18-2008, 03:18 PM
I love the S2000. The 07 G's just can not compete with them as far as handling goes. The G's are definitely fast in a straight line, but my buddy's AP2 is able to keep up very well (Stock except Intake/Clutch delay valve removal, and Espelier springs). Once he has his gears in, I'm sure he's going to be able to beat me in a straight line. On a twisty road.. forget about it. Even if you get the RWD version and put on coilovers,fsb,tie brace, you're still not going to be at the same level of handling as an S2000.

That being said, in your situation, you really can't beat the bang for the buck that you're getting with an 07 G Sedan. The only time I ever feel doubts about my car is right after I've driven the s2k.

Old 09-18-2008, 03:32 PM
Moderation-free
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Haven't driven an S2000, so can't compare - would expect that the Honda is faster on the track. But:
  1. Have had mine on a road course, and it handled really well. The G isn't particularly light, but fairly neutral handling, good brakes, good acceleration, and limited body roll. No problem throwing it into a corner and powering out
  2. The gas mileage is pretty poor. Most are getting around 17 - 18 city; I get around 14 - 15, but it's because of a) 100% city driving, b) 100% use of paddle shifters vs. letting the car do it more efficiently, and c) use of right foot
  3. Very solid and comfortable for a family, it's a great sports sedan

Old 09-18-2008, 03:46 PM
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
If thats what you're averaging in the s2k, then I don't know what to tell you for the G.

As far as handling is concerned, you should be looking into an EVO or STI if you're looking for something close to the s2k with practicality.

Keep in mind, the s2k CAN hold a baby seat; you just can't carry the MRS around.

Old 09-18-2008, 03:49 PM
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by RUCrash
Yeah, I hate driving slow too, but it's all good when you get out for an autocross.

When I get ready to sell the Honda, I'll probably ask book value for it. She's an 04, the darker grey, and is 99% stock (new stereo, K&N filter, ti. shift ****, clear markers, Honda factory wing). She's got 46K miles now, and booking right at 19.5. I've got an extended warranty as well for her, through 105K miles. The thing really is a 4-wheeled motorcycle
I have a buddy that just bought one for about 14k.

Similar specs to yours, including miles. All original, no repaints, all panels still have the factory VIN stickers, 100% dealer serviced with records.

We looked at about 30 s2ks, this was one of two cars that were all original; all others had some kind of work done to them.

Old 09-18-2008, 05:33 PM
If your buddy grabbed a flawless 04 S2K for 14, he got one hell of a deal. Guess they're a little harder to come by on the east coast, as I dont plan on giving mine away. (Not trying to be a dick here, but in VA they're fairly scarce, and go for book regularly)

I thought about the Evo/Sti as well, just hate the insurance on them. Not to mention I doubt they'd be really good for the occasional 8-hour road trips I have to take. Thought I'd look into something that was better rounded this time around. I cant argue they'd be more fun on the track, but I've got to look at other angles now as well.

Old 09-18-2008, 07:22 PM
honestly, you'd get a better power/weight ratio with the g8 gt. do yourself a favor and at least test drive one before making the decision.

and now for the ****storm of fanboys claiming luxury.

seriously, go check one out. the G35 is a heavy, heavy car and it doesn't have a great deal of torque to move that around. it does well, but it's a little down on torque for my tastes.

Old 09-18-2008, 07:39 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i guess ill be the first "fanboy" to say go for it. the HR motor is rediculous compared to the DE, ive owned both and its no comparison. with the HR motor ull still get the kinda high revving motor at 7500rpm (its not 9000rpm honda,lol) and IMO it has enough torque to get you moving. Definantely more torque than the s2k. as for autox, no, the s2k is a lighter more agile car obviously. although i wouldnt be suprised to see a g35 get a better time than an s2k on a bit longer track thats not so much twisty turn oriented.

i think youve come to accept your not gonna get the same thrill from the g35 and because of that i say do it. you wont be disappointed. from a 20, this car hauls d*ck for a stock luxury sport sedan. s2k's are :O when i take em, like no way a 4door sedan moves like that.

btw, my average right now is 18.1MPG and i drive probably 95% city. just shift early when u dont need WOT

Old 09-18-2008, 07:57 PM
don't do it !!!! be ready to be dissapointed on how much less agile and WOT on s2k will have alot more feel to the road compared to luxury g35. my .2 ^^

Old 09-18-2008, 08:01 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I drive an 08 Stook AP2 in Chicane Silver every day and we just bought a G35X for my wife last weekend. I have about 20 minutes total seat time in the G35 so far but I don't think you'd be horribly depressed driving one if you're coming from Stewie.

The G35 can't drop the top but on the other hand it's a lot quieter inside. It may not handle quite as well as an S2K but makes up for it with Nav, Satellite Radio, Ipod Interface, Bose Sound System, heated seats, adjustable steering column, keyless entry, and on and on. It's a hell of a sports sedan for the money. We looked around and couldn't find anything to compete at the price. You'll feel right at home with the VQ35HR engine too. It redlines at 7,500 RPM, not far from the F22C redline at 8,000 RPM and it's smooth.

The steering is accurate and natural feeling. The brakes are likewise very natural feeling. The G35 controls body roll well for a vehicle with a much higher center of gravity than a Stook and 900 lbs more weight. The suspension is nicely stiff but seems to handle imperfect surfaces without drama. Our's is a 5spd auto so I can't help if you're thinking about a MT although I've heard the MT is a weak point for the G's.

As a bonus, you'll be able to carry a car seat plus your wife's parents in back.

Personally, I'm not giving up my Stook. My "winter beater" is an 06 Volvo XC90 and my wife just scrapped an 06 R500 for the G35X. We've got weather and cargo volume covered. Stewie stays!

Last edited by SpudRacer; 09-18-2008 at 08:06 PM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Thinking of going from 04 S2K to 07 G35, need info!!