G35 Sedan V36 2007- 08 Discussion about the 2nd Generation G35 Sedan 2007 - 08

Interior Headliner Noise

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-14-2008, 04:46 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Interior Headliner Noise

I have an '08 g35x that I picked up at the end of August. Previously had an '05 g35x that had many rattles. My '08 has no rattles at all which is great, but the headliner on the interior ceiling makes a noise like your are crinkling up plastic wrap whenever I go over the slightest bump. It's not incredibly loud, but it's driving me crazy. Anyone else have this and have any suggestions for a fix?

Old 10-15-2008, 12:56 AM
Received 184 Likes on 159 Posts
Its either normal body flex casuing it, for which you would need braces and strut bars,or you're one of the unlucky ones with the sunroof ratlle thing, that i LUCKILY dont have...

Old 10-15-2008, 12:39 PM
Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts
Never heard of that one...

Old 10-15-2008, 01:02 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by fieldsie
I have an '08 g35x that I picked up at the end of August. Previously had an '05 g35x that had many rattles. My '08 has no rattles at all which is great, but the headliner on the interior ceiling makes a noise like your are crinkling up plastic wrap whenever I go over the slightest bump. It's not incredibly loud, but it's driving me crazy. Anyone else have this and have any suggestions for a fix?
Yes, I had (have) that exact same noise. They initially fixed it (not really sure what they did, but apparently they fixed something loose in there) and I have since had another noise coming from the liner. They have ordered a part to fix that, which should be in this week.

Old 10-15-2008, 08:52 PM
I just took my '07 in last week, and that same problem was on my list. The exact noise I had was coming from right behind the sunroof (towards the tailgate), and sounded like a plastic grocery bag was in there. I would hear the noise just cruising on the fwy and it annoyed the hell out of me. They took off the headliner and said nothing was loose inside. They put the headliner back and the noise was gone. My service advisor confirmed that the tech actually did nothing except remove the headliner to inspect, and then put it back. I had my doubts that the vibration was fixed from simply removing and reinstalling the headliner, but indeed, so far I haven't heard it since the service.

Old 10-17-2008, 10:16 AM
Originally Posted by gixxerbri
I just took my '07 in last week, and that same problem was on my list. The exact noise I had was coming from right behind the sunroof (towards the tailgate), and sounded like a plastic grocery bag was in there. I would hear the noise just cruising on the fwy and it annoyed the hell out of me. They took off the headliner and said nothing was loose inside. They put the headliner back and the noise was gone. My service advisor confirmed that the tech actually did nothing except remove the headliner to inspect, and then put it back. I had my doubts that the vibration was fixed from simply removing and reinstalling the headliner, but indeed, so far I haven't heard it since the service.

Thanks all. It's definitely not a rattle from the sunroof itself but the plastic grocery bag noice in exactly the same place as gixxerbri notes above. Looks like I will have to bring the car back from the passenger seat airbag sensor recall and will ask them to look into the noise then. Could be that the liner is just a bit loose and taking it off and re-installing could do the trick (hopefully).

Old 10-29-2008, 01:04 PM
I couldn't take the noise anymore so I brought it into the dealer. They found the problem. Evidently there are some velcro straps that help to hold the headliner in place. Some of these straps were loose. No noise. Very happy with the dealer's response (Devan Infiniti - CT).

Old 10-30-2008, 08:42 AM
I couldn't take the noise anymore so I brought it into the dealer. They found the problem. Evidently there are some velcro straps that help to hold the headliner in place. Some of these straps were loose. No noise. Very happy with the dealer's response (Devan Infiniti - CT).
Thanks for posting this as I too am having this issue. I will let me dealership know when I take my car in.

Old 10-31-2008, 10:30 PM
I had a sound like this...a creaking sound that got really bad when the weather was cold. The solution by Infiniti was to remove the windshield and replace a molding at the base of the windshield and then replace the windshield. The weather has been very cold in Cleveland This week... No more creaking/squeek....

2008 G35x build in Oct 07. Delivered 12/31/07

Ed

Last edited by eschak; 10-31-2008 at 10:31 PM. Reason: Update year and model of G35
Old 11-01-2008, 11:26 AM
Originally Posted by eschak
I had a sound like this...a creaking sound that got really bad when the weather was cold. The solution by Infiniti was to remove the windshield and replace a molding at the base of the windshield and then replace the windshield. The weather has been very cold in Cleveland This week... No more creaking/squeek....

2008 G35x build in Oct 07. Delivered 12/31/07

Ed
Ed thanks for posting this I am starting to belive that this is my issues as I had my windshield replaced about a month ago. I think I have isolated the noise to the right side molding at the base of the windshield. I will have the glass shop take a look at this issue.

Old 11-01-2008, 11:29 AM
I'm worried about getting a G37 in a few months. My Altima SE-R (cool car for what it is) is driving me CRAZY. It has so many rattles/squeaks/creaks that I'm just sick about it. I've actually not been upset about it over the last 6 months b/c I know a new car is comming soon. Are the G's rattle traps?

BTW: What is up with Nissan sunroofs? My SE-R creaks and pops too. And my headliner rattles. And my glovebox rattles somewhere deep inside the dash. And my A-Pilars pop in cold weather. And my dash does not seem soild over bad bumps. And body flex (like wierd angled driveway creaks) creaks along the base of the windshield.

Oh right...were talking about G's here

Old 11-01-2008, 01:50 PM
Originally Posted by Mike S.
I'm worried about getting a G37 in a few months. My Altima SE-R (cool car for what it is) is driving me CRAZY. It has so many rattles/squeaks/creaks that I'm just sick about it. I've actually not been upset about it over the last 6 months b/c I know a new car is comming soon. Are the G's rattle traps?

BTW: What is up with Nissan sunroofs? My SE-R creaks and pops too. And my headliner rattles. And my glovebox rattles somewhere deep inside the dash. And my A-Pilars pop in cold weather. And my dash does not seem soild over bad bumps. And body flex (like wierd angled driveway creaks) creaks along the base of the windshield.

Oh right...were talking about G's here
are they rattle traps? you are going to get mixed answers on this. some people put 30k miles on and have no rattles and others have 300 miles on it with multiple rattles. the answer is the same for the weird creaks. the car i own has them, but some of the loaners i have gotten do not.

Old 11-01-2008, 03:40 PM
Originally Posted by C5TOG35
Ed thanks for posting this I am starting to belive that this is my issues as I had my windshield replaced about a month ago. I think I have isolated the noise to the right side molding at the base of the windshield. I will have the glass shop take a look at this issue.

I posted this earlier in the year when I was going through the diagnosis with the dealer. The car was with them for over a week taking stuff apart until they isolated the noise. It is very hard to tell where it comes from. And extremely annoying. When you are in the driver seat it seams to come from the center. From the passenger seat...you can hear it in another place. Very difficult NVH issue to isolate. I was worried the disassembly would screw things up worse. The job was done in May...but the cold weather was gone. Looks like all is OK and the dealer did a nice job not ruining the interior. Whether or not is was the molding or the installation of the windshield at the factory...no one can say...but all seems well now....

Ed