64.44%
Voters: 90. You may not vote on this poll

08 G35x or 09 G37x?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-30-2008, 01:26 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by oC|-TiTaN
What i meant by affordability in reference to these cars is that I can well afford the 08 at the deal I have been offered but that adding $5500 on top of that is pushing the budget a bit.

To be honest I make good money for being my first job out of college and can afford either year as I have no other bills to speak of so I can devote a good sum of money towards the car now before I have other things to worry about. I plan on making more than my monthly payment and getting the car paid off early which will in turn make me spend even less overall.

I figure in my current position if i get a yearly maximum raise of 4% then I'm making the least now that I will make for the next 5 years so if I can afford one at my current salary then it will only get better from here on out.
FWIW, based on you responses in this thread it sounds to me like you're already leaning toward the 09. We can talk dollars all day but the bottom line is that a car, especially a luxury sports sedan, is really an emotional purchase. If it weren't, we'd all be hanging out on the Nissan Versa forum instead. If the thought of one car gets you all hot and bothered and the other one doesn't then buy the one you want.

Personally, if I could have found an 08 equipped exactly like I wanted I would have been all over it. Since I want a manual and a rare color combo I'm SOL and had to order an 09. If you can find an 08 on a lot that's exactly like you want it. Low-ball the dealer, be prepared to walk and wait on an 09, and see if you can make out like a bandit. You'll save money and have the car sooner. Unless your "Butt Dyno" has achieved Princess And The Pea sensitivity levels you'll never miss the 22hp. Gas mileage savings from the 7AT won't begin to put a dent in your up front savings. Rotary seat heater switches, a plastic badge that says G37, and slightly reshaped mirrors aren't worth several thousand dollars.

Old 10-30-2008, 01:32 PM
Thanks everyone for the opinions and info, I'm taking a trip down to STL on Saturday to see if I can become attached to an 08 that won't lighten the wallet quite so much.

Old 10-30-2008, 02:26 PM
I actually just bought a new 08 G35xS with Premium, Nav, and Sport for $33513 before TTL. I was going to wait for an 09 G37xS, but the savings on the 08 were just too good for me. I just priced an 09 with all the options I got and it was a little over $42k sticker. $7k-$8k is a lot of money!

Joe

Old 10-30-2008, 02:42 PM
09 3.7 7 AT ftw!!

Old 10-30-2008, 07:26 PM
good idea

if you like it and can get a great deal, its not a bad idea. I think i am going to do the same. i want g35x, premium nav and sport. if i can get it for 33+ as the others have said, it will be tough to walk away from...please let me know how you make out!

Thanks everyone for the opinions and info, I'm taking a trip down to STL on Saturday to see if I can become attached to an 08 that won't lighten the wallet quite so much.

Old 10-30-2008, 08:24 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2008 G35 Journey Sedan no sunroof
Originally Posted by cao_123
The 3.7L engine has been in the coupe for a year. I would expect the kinks have been worked out. However, the 7 speed is new so I agree more dealership visits are possible.
It usually takes Nissan two years to get the kinks out. I think you should get the '08, but if you get the '09 PLEASE buy an extended warranty (but haggle them down by 50%).

Old 10-31-2008, 01:20 AM
Yeah, the more I am looking at it the 08 may be the way to go. Besides the price differential, there is also the interest rate to think about.

Old 10-31-2008, 05:18 AM
Originally Posted by oab97
If it helps any I did some number crunching: Assuming a $5000 savings for an 08 vs. 09, $3.00/gal gas, 25mpg for 08, and 27mpg for 09; it would take you driving the car 562,500 miles to make up the $5000 difference.

My hunch is buying the more expensive car for the 2mpg improvement isn't probably going to payoff for ya in the pocketbook.

I have a really long commute! J/K. . I know what you're saying, though. It's hard to argue with it!

Old 10-31-2008, 05:24 AM
What i meant by affordability in reference to these cars is that I can well afford the 08 at the deal I have been offered but that adding $5500 on top of that is pushing the budget a bit.

To be honest I make good money for being my first job out of college and can afford either year as I have no other bills to speak of so I can devote a good sum of money towards the car now before I have other things to worry about. I plan on making more than my monthly payment and getting the car paid off early which will in turn make me spend even less overall.

I figure in my current position if i get a yearly maximum raise of 4% then I'm making the least now that I will make for the next 5 years so if I can afford one at my current salary then it will only get better from here on out.
I like the way you were thinking here! . Unless we make less money tomorrow (nor totally out of the picture in todays economy) the car isn't more expensive than it is right now!

Old 10-31-2008, 09:05 PM
Personally, if I could have found an 08 equipped exactly like I wanted I would have been all over it. Since I want a manual and a rare color combo I'm SOL and had to order an 09. If you can find an 08 on a lot that's exactly like you want it. Low-ball the dealer, be prepared to walk and wait on an 09, and see if you can make out like a bandit. You'll save money and have the car sooner. Unless your "Butt Dyno" has achieved Princess And The Pea sensitivity levels you'll never miss the 22hp. Gas mileage savings from the 7AT won't begin to put a dent in your up front savings. Rotary seat heater switches, a plastic badge that says G37, and slightly reshaped mirrors aren't worth several thousand dollars.[/QUOTE]

Umm, for couple thousands u get a stronger engine with better mpg , and that 7AT is a beast. Now thats worth that couple of thousand. And that 22hp, appearently makes a diff in 0-60 in 5flat. Compared to 5.8

Old 10-31-2008, 11:16 PM
The 0-60 difference is more like 5.0 compared to 5.2 and even that isn't really confirmed. One major magazine had a non-broken-in G37 a tenth slower to 60 than a well broken-in G35. Even if the G37 gets faster after break-in the numbers are still going to be very close. I don't know where you got that an 08 G35 had a 5.8 0-60 but they are considerably quicker than that.

Old 11-01-2008, 02:41 AM
Originally Posted by oab97
The 0-60 difference is more like 5.0 compared to 5.2 and even that isn't really confirmed. One major magazine had a non-broken-in G37 a tenth slower to 60 than a well broken-in G35. Even if the G37 gets faster after break-in the numbers are still going to be very close. I don't know where you got that an 08 G35 had a 5.8 0-60 but they are considerably quicker than that.
I have to agree with you on this one. It isn't just a few thousand dollars but several thousand dollars. Plus how many of us are going to be out autocrossing or strip racing our new sedans and if so how often. Let's get real, If you really wanted a car that would be a beast at the track then you probably have the wrong car or would have to do a lot of work to get there. The G35/37 is a great compromise between performance and luxury (sports sedan). Both will be so close that if you didn't know what car you were in at the time, you would probably have a hard time telling which one had the extra 22 horsepower. But if money wasn't a concern then I would get the G37 just to brag about the extra ponies

Old 11-01-2008, 08:01 AM
Originally Posted by G37USR
Personally, if I could have found an 08 equipped exactly like I wanted I would have been all over it. Since I want a manual and a rare color combo I'm SOL and had to order an 09. If you can find an 08 on a lot that's exactly like you want it. Low-ball the dealer, be prepared to walk and wait on an 09, and see if you can make out like a bandit. You'll save money and have the car sooner. Unless your "Butt Dyno" has achieved Princess And The Pea sensitivity levels you'll never miss the 22hp. Gas mileage savings from the 7AT won't begin to put a dent in your up front savings. Rotary seat heater switches, a plastic badge that says G37, and slightly reshaped mirrors aren't worth several thousand dollars.
Umm, for couple thousands u get a stronger engine with better mpg , and that 7AT is a beast. Now thats worth that couple of thousand. And that 22hp, appearently makes a diff in 0-60 in 5flat. Compared to 5.8[/QUOTE]

the bolded quote above has me thinking... from those who remember the g sedan in recent years, has infiniti offered ANY incentives in late january or february? How long does it take till they begin offering money, or better financing? My friend got a deal on a maxima in january of the model year (.9 financing on an 08, in 08 for example). So if we do indeed wait on the 09 g37, how long are we talking about for the wait till we see the dealers having something to offer? i know this year it will probably be later because of the delayed release of the 09, so we can probably expect the incentive dates to be pushed too, but im just looking for opinions based on what they've generally done in the past...dealers?? thank

Old 11-01-2008, 10:34 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I would get the 08, since it is a great car, and save some money.

Old 11-01-2008, 06:00 PM
The G35s 6spd is 0-60 at 5.2. The 5AT g35 is 0-60 5.8. But with i guess you can be kind of right, with that extra 4k, u can mod ur car and it will be faster then the g37. But both cars are great.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 08 G35x or 09 G37x?