G35 Sedan V36 2007- 08 Discussion about the 2nd Generation G35 Sedan 2007 - 08

G35x question

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-07-2008, 03:55 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm just wondering if awd kicks in... b/c i dont feel it well once again.. i'm newbie

Old 11-07-2008, 08:31 PM
Originally Posted by ovrkast
You must be cornering like mad crazy for the X to slide. I've cornered harder in my X than my previous 05' G35 coupe and cannot it get it to slide like the coupe. I too drive with VDC off. I believe what's mentioned above is that when it passes the 12mph mark it becomes 100% RWD, and it's only full-time AWD when the Snow button is pressed

Not to be mean, but this is not at all what the post says or how the system works. Read the posts above, you can still have awd even without snow mode if conditions warrant.

I don't think anyone really knows what this system does.. It's kinda funny.

Old 11-07-2008, 08:33 PM
Originally Posted by Grav
Here's what Bookrags says:

ATTESA-ETS is featured in the north-south layout vehicles, and was first used in August 1989 in the R32 Nissan Skyline GT-R and Nissan Skyline GTS4. It utilizes what is mostly a conventional RWD gearbox. Although the Skyline GT-R is exclusively AWD, ATTESA-ETS is also used in Nissan models that are also available as RWD such as the A31 Nissan Cefiro which was the second Nissan to feature the system exactly a year later in August 1990. Drive to the rear wheels is constant via a tailshaft and rear differential, however drive to the front wheels is more complex by utilizing a transfer case at the rear of the gearbox. The drive for the front wheels comes from a transfer case bolted on the end of an almost traditional RWD transmission although the (bell housing is slightly different to allow the driveshaft for the front wheels to pass it, the main body is exactly the same as the RWD transmission, the tail-shaft is different to couple to the transfer case). A short driveshaft for the front wheels exits the transfer case on the right side. Inside the transfer case a chain drives a multi-plate wet clutch pack, torque is apportioned using a clutch pack center differential, similar to the type employed in the Steyr-Daimler-Puch system in the Porsche 959. On the rear differential is a high pressure electric oil pump, this pump pressurises Normal ATF oil (0-288psi) into the transfercase to engage the clutchpack. The higher the oil pressure the transfer case is supplied with, the more the clutch pack engages, this is how the torque to the front wheels is varied. The transfer case has its own dedicated ATF (nissan special ATF) oil to lubricate the chain/clutch pack. The front driveshaft runs along the right side of the transmission, into a differential located on the right of the engine's oilpan. The front right axle is shorter than the left, as the differential is closer to the right wheel. The front left axle runs through the engine's sump to the left wheel. The ATTESA-ETS layout is more advanced than the ATTESA system, and uses a 16bit microprocessor that monitors the cars movements at 100 times per second to sense traction loss by measuring the speed of each wheel via the ABS sensors. A three axis G-Sensor mounted underneath the center console feed lateral and longitudinal inputs into an ECU, this ECU controls both the ATTESA-ETS 4WD system and the ABS system. The ECU can then direct up to and including 50% of the power to the front wheels. When slip is detected on one of the rear wheels (rear wheels turn 5% or more than the front wheels), the system directs torque to the front wheels which run a viscous LSD. Rather than locking the AWD in all the time or having a system that is "all or nothing", the ATTESA-ETS system can apportion different ratios of torque to the front wheels as it sees fit. This provides the driver with an AWD vehicle that performs like a rear wheel drive vehicle in perfect conditions and can recover control when conditions aren't as perfect. The advantage to a more traditional ATTESA (Viscous LSD) system is response in hundredths of a second.
This seems to say that is uses a vicous oil driven system. The last quote said it was electro-magnetic clutch.

Confusing confusing.........

I am glad the system works even though nobody knows how exactly it works.

Old 11-10-2008, 11:21 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Its says the ATTESA is viscous and the ATTESA-ETS is electro magnetic.

Old 11-10-2008, 09:46 PM
Q for G35X owners,
I understand you probably bought the X for the purpose of using it during the snow season, however do you feel that its beneficial to have the X without snowy conditions? Living in Hawaii there's no snow but nice twisty roads that 4wd comes in handy. Is it safe to call the G35X a Baby 4-Door GTR? I know there is an overwhelming difference in performance.

Old 11-10-2008, 09:55 PM
Received 36 Likes on 33 Posts
Originally Posted by csimon
Q for G35X owners,
I understand you probably bought the X for the purpose of using it during the snow season, however do you feel that its beneficial to have the X without snowy conditions? Living in Hawaii there's no snow but nice twisty roads that 4wd comes in handy. Is it safe to call the G35X a Baby 4-Door GTR? I know there is an overwhelming difference in performance.
I have owned 2 G35Xs and would buy another one because of my conditions in the winter and also in the wet.
If I lived in Hawaii, I would probably go for a RWD G35 and set it up for handling the twisties.

Old 11-10-2008, 10:00 PM
thanks GEE, appreciate the input. Would have to fly to Cali and find an X. They don't even ship it down here. Nice car BTW

Old 11-10-2008, 10:00 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by GEE35X
I have owned 2 G35Xs and would buy another one because of my conditions in the winter and also in the wet.
If I lived in Hawaii, I would probably go for a RWD G35 and set it up for handling the twisties.
+1 If it wasn't me needing a DD and for the winters here, I would have bought either the G Journey or the 6MT.

csimon - just drop your car, throw on sways, and get grippy summer tires and u should be set up for those twisting roads...oh they also have very, very few X's in CA

Old 11-10-2008, 10:04 PM
Originally Posted by G35xQX1
+1 If it wasn't me needing a DD and for the winters here, I would have bought either the G Journey or the 6MT.

csimon - just drop your car, throw on sways, and get grippy summer tires and u should be set up for those twisting roads...oh they also have very, very few X's in CA
True that about Cali, forgot their weather is the same as ours. I would have to go Mid-West, East coast huh. Sucks! Thx for the input

Old 11-10-2008, 10:21 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Well if you're scared of really pushing the car or you're not that confident in your driving then the X would be better, the awd system is really good, i think out of BMW Merc and Audi we have the sportiest AWD system, however the car gets really heavy to it impacts performance, so correct me if i'm wrong, but i believe the rwd would actually do better, and be more fun.