G35 Sedan V36 2007- 08 Discussion about the 2nd Generation G35 Sedan 2007 - 08

car shopping today! my reviews

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-13-2008, 12:39 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by EnviedG35
I was actually in the same boat. I had drove a GM for 8 years before i was looking at the G, and after driving a new G8, gto, and even the CTS, i felt that it wasnt much different than the previous GM i had before. Albeit the CTS was awesome and quiet on the inside, but i didnt like the way the torque curve felt on the 3.6 vvt. It felt weak, to me, where as the G with the same power just threw me back in the seat. I test drove the G and knew the car was for me. I was always a big GM man, but i feel they need to step in their build qaulity. Especially on the cheap feeling interior. The G's interior is not the best by far compared to many higher priced luxury vehicles. But a GM for the same price would have felt like a tonka toy
I also drove nothing but GM vehicles before the G and I agree with the whole price issues, they need to step up their game.

Old 11-13-2008, 02:25 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Wow, what a terrible review of the G8 GT by an obvious fanboy. And to correct a few "errors" in his review. The plastics are high quality, and definitely more durable than the Infiniti ones. Not to mention the fact that it's real leather, not cheap BMW "leatherette."

Here's my less biased review (from a different thread.)

"I own an 07 G35S sedan auto and got to test drive a new 08 Pontiac G8 GT auto this week.

Overall, it's an impressive car, especially for the money. It has a few advantages over the G35 (low end power, size, looks, and price), but the G35 is a better car all around.

Driving:
Power: It has more low end that the G35, but not as much top end. Overall acceleration feels about the same. The exhaust, of course, sounds better on the 6.0 v8 for the G8 GT.

Handling/ride: The G8 actually rides better than the G35. But, this comes at the expense of handling. The G35 doesn't lean as much, and corners better. Surprisingly enough, the G8 doesn't feel much larger/heavier than the G35. On the other hand, a Charger R/T feels much larger/heavier. There's some room left in there, but it'll likely be fixed with the GXP version.

Transmission: 6 speed auto. 6 gears are great, but it shifts pretty slowly compared to the crisp G35 shifts. The manual shift mode is over to the right too (unchanged from Australia).

Brakes: The brakes are ok. Not nearly as nice as the G35. The GXP is also getting different brakes though.

Interior: Right on par with the G35. Comfortable, roomy, looks great. I like the parking brake hand lever that goes flush with the center console. Stereo is great too. No nav or sunroof option though.

Looks: Of course this is subjective, but I think the G8 is better looking.....from every angle. It looks much like the last generation BMW M5. The front lip looks great, wheel wells bulge. And the rear taillights and exhaust look fantastic. It looks like a Vibe in pictures, but an M5 in person.

Price: comparably equipped, it's about $5k less than a G35. With every option (19" wheels, etc.), it's a sticker of $31,800. Definitely a nice value. Plus, you'll be able to get a few grand off that in a few months no problem.

For now, I'll stick with my G35. But, it's a car definitely worth driving, and considering for the few grand less."

Old 11-13-2008, 03:43 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The G8 looks like turd. It's got a side profile borrowed from a TL and IS tail lights. IS tails are kinda old.. and this is coming from a former 1st gen IS owner.

Old 11-14-2008, 02:32 AM
GXP will be more money too.

tg

Old 11-14-2008, 08:18 AM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
AWD Sport with Tech
Originally Posted by badassflip
..."you can dress a hooker up in an evening gown but shes still a hooker, she does ONE thing really really well. but dont expect her to dazzle your friends"

Love that quote
+1

and great review. good luck with the car you purchase.

AND by the way, im going to "steal" your GF's quote and put in in the "favorite quote tread" and give you and your GF credit for sure. lol

Old 11-14-2008, 08:45 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by silverG2007
Wow, what a terrible review of the G8 GT by an obvious fanboy. And to correct a few "errors" in his review. The plastics are high quality, and definitely more durable than the Infiniti ones. Not to mention the fact that it's real leather, not cheap BMW "leatherette."

"I own an 07 G35S sedan auto and got to test drive a new 08 Pontiac G8 GT auto this week.

Overall, it's an impressive car, especially for the money. It has a few advantages over the G35 (low end power, size, looks, and price), but the G35 is a better car all around.

Driving:
Power: It has more low end that the G35, but not as much top end. Overall acceleration feels about the same. The exhaust, of course, sounds better on the 6.0 v8 for the G8 GT.

Handling/ride: The G8 actually rides better than the G35. But, this comes at the expense of handling. The G35 doesn't lean as much, and corners better. Surprisingly enough, the G8 doesn't feel much larger/heavier than the G35. On the other hand, a Charger R/T feels much larger/heavier. There's some room left in there, but it'll likely be fixed with the GXP version.

Transmission: 6 speed auto. 6 gears are great, but it shifts pretty slowly compared to the crisp G35 shifts. The manual shift mode is over to the right too (unchanged from Australia).

Brakes: The brakes are ok. Not nearly as nice as the G35. The GXP is also getting different brakes though.

Interior: Right on par with the G35. Comfortable, roomy, looks great. I like the parking brake hand lever that goes flush with the center console. Stereo is great too. No nav or sunroof option though.

Looks: Of course this is subjective, but I think the G8 is better looking.....from every angle. It looks much like the last generation BMW M5. The front lip looks great, wheel wells bulge. And the rear taillights and exhaust look fantastic. It looks like a Vibe in pictures, but an M5 in person.

Price: comparably equipped, it's about $5k less than a G35. With every option (19" wheels, etc.), it's a sticker of $31,800. Definitely a nice value. Plus, you'll be able to get a few grand off that in a few months no problem.

For now, I'll stick with my G35. But, it's a car definitely worth driving, and considering for the few grand less."
Typical domestic fanboy review.

Old 11-14-2008, 09:35 AM
Haha I've been in one (never driven one) and I feel the materials are on par with ours, as was the fit and finish. The stitching (while fake I believe) was a nice touch.

You guys do realize we do have a good amount of cheap plastic in our interiors? If you own a 1st gen G....then you have a lot of cheap plastic in your interior.

Old 11-14-2008, 11:50 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Yup, sure do and its the main reason I went with the 2nd gen over the 1st gen (less cheap plastic/interior).

Old 11-14-2008, 02:39 PM
I like the exterior not seen it inside so can't say much but not a bad tune car.

http://

tg

Old 11-17-2008, 01:45 AM
Originally Posted by silverG2007

blah blah blah spew spew spew

keep in mind im in canada, they (GM) dont give anythign away up here liek they do in the US as they try in a pathetic last ditch effort to save their asses since our market doesnt really matter to them, their cars and trucks are pretty much worthelss to begin with up here as they tend to rust and rot within 5 yrs anyway. the (G8) car dollar for dollar was only 2100$ less than a brand new g35 loaded and fwiw i try to think with my head, not my ***, why buy a car that will be worth nothign in 3 yrs when i can buy an import and be able to re sell it for a reasonable price a few yrs later. i see where your coming from but to me having driven the G, my dads 335, my gf's dads IS350 and a few other comparable sedans i almost died when teh pontiac sales guy told me the g8 is an M5 fighter!!! umm yea ok! who feeds you this ****?

btw, i would hardly call myself a fanboy, I have a twin turbo 389CID powered 1995 Impala SS (688WHP) backed by a T56 6 spd and an LS1 powered 1998 caddy catera in the works, both of which would rape anything you own all day every day of the week and twice on sundays

Last edited by STLTHSDN; 11-17-2008 at 01:53 AM.
Old 11-17-2008, 09:37 AM
Originally Posted by STLTHSDN
LOL, coles notes are Pontiac G8 GT goes like a bat out of hell but looks like it was built by overpaid fat union guys. For that reason it will be the demise of chevrolet which is unfortunate cuz i used to love the feel of a GM v8 but the G has spoiled me, now i want more than just a huge motor wrapped in a fisher price turd of a shell! LOL

. so i put in an offer on an 07 G35 sedan demo at my dealer
uhh....it was built in Australia.

Old 11-17-2008, 02:56 PM
just a future reference OP, try using some commas or maybe break your reviews into several paragraphs then it'd be REALLY interesting to read. funny point of view though and +1 on your gf's analogy.

Old 11-17-2008, 08:39 PM
Originally Posted by Polo08816
uhh....it was built in Australia.
oh trust me, they have unions there too.

http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au...013404,00.html

At any rate, back on track here. I think what im getting at is that for the price they are asking you are essentially getting a typical fisher price gm shell with a huge engine, dotn get me wrong cuz it hauls some serious *** and has a tonne of potential with power adders but fwiw its missing alot. Amongst teh things i felt were its short comings were better looking wheels and not this machined face typical GM looking rims that are fugly as sin. bigger brakes instead of 2 piston calipers up front. an LSD diff. no HID lights, better audio options and audio performance. an interior that doesnt look like it was stolen out of a cobalt and perhaps a couple materials other than cheap grey plastic inside. this is not to say i wouldnt ever buy one but i sure as hell wouldnt buy one brand new, not at the current resale of GM vehicles or any domestics for that matter. especially if you consider that a 2006 dodge charger RT or 300C SRT8 go for about half of their askign price only 3 yrs after they left teh dealer lots. the G8 wotn be any different. im sure the LS2 motor will easily make over 400WHP with a cam, headers, exhaust, tuning etc. and it would be a 12 sec bullet but owning my G for a couple yrs now has spoiled me. I need more than just a big engine in a crummy GM shell. its unfortuante because liek i said before ive always been a big GM fanatic and have owned numeours V8 powered GM cars including my 99 camaro, my twin turbo Lt4 powered 6 spd imapala SS and my newest project , a 98 caddy catera shell with an ls1 jammed in.

Last edited by STLTHSDN; 11-17-2008 at 09:00 PM.
Old 11-17-2008, 08:48 PM
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
hahah good review and good read.. i think i like your GF just by her funny *** comment/analysis.... hahahahahaaaa

Old 11-17-2008, 09:01 PM
-MN G Crew-

Received 205 Likes on 157 Posts
For the money it is a pretty neat car.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: car shopping today! my reviews