G35 Sedan V36 2007- 08 Discussion about the 2nd Generation G35 Sedan 2007 - 08

K&N Typhoon Intake Group Buy - '07+ G35 Sedan

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-24-2008, 02:21 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up Pre-Christmas Install

I ordered mine on the 18th delivered tonite (23rd), install time was about 2 hours. I couldn't tell much difference in power, my butt dyno might not be calibrated properly. It doesn't feel like I lost any power. However I must admit, the sound is amazing, normal driving it sounds like stock, get on the throttle and the beast under the hood is released. Very cool!

Old 12-30-2008, 02:09 PM
Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts
Great to hear, Mojo... I think the intake sounds amazing, and even though I didn't gain much power, I'm definitely very happy with it.

I'm actually hoping to get back to the shop and have the car dyno'd again now that my engine computer has had a chance to learn the new intake... I'm curious to see if the results are any different than when I originally installed it. FYI... I'm hoping to get the first dyno chart scanned in and posted here today or tomorrow.

Old 01-07-2009, 08:31 PM
Ok, just wanted to let everyone know that I talked to the vendor on the K&N Group Buy today and due to high demand, K&N is currently sold out on the intake system for our cars. K&N is telling him that these won't be available until mid February. Because of this, they do not want to accept anymore orders on the Group Buy until they can actually ship the product. However, if you still want to buy one of these system at the Group Buy price and can wait until mid February to receive it, then please e-mail Jason at sales@jaycorptech.com and he will put you on the waiting list and contact you as soon as they become available.

Old 01-13-2009, 01:09 AM
2GoRNot2G, was just wondering if you ever got a chance to scan in those Dyno results? Looking forward to seeing the power curve.

Old 01-13-2009, 01:41 PM
Not yet... Sorry, I have been out of town, so I probably won't have a chance until sometime this weekend or early next week.

Old 02-11-2009, 05:46 PM
Ok everyone. I finally had a chance to scan in my dyno chart, so I can post it for all of you to see.

The red line is my baseline dyno run from when the car was stock. The pink line is my original dyno run when I first installed the K&N (same day as the baseline) and the blue line is the newest dyno run with the K&N installed and the ECU reset. As you can see the peak HP went up from about 289 HP stock to 294 with the K&N and there was a pretty significant torque and HP gain accross the entire rpm range. I was hoping to see a little bit of a gain from the original K&N dyno run (pink) and the most recent K&N dyno run (blue) after reseting the ECU and letting the car learn the new intake, but the peak numbers are almost exactly the same. All in all, I am very happy with the K&N, and I absolutely love the new intake sound!!!

Old 02-11-2009, 07:12 PM
Received 85 Likes on 74 Posts
Hmm... I'm still not sold on these aftermarket intakes yet.
$70/HP is still a little rich for my blood, considering it's only a total of 5 HP gained.

Thanks for the new post and the info.
It's great having people go out of their way for the rest of us to be informed.

I commend you sir.

Old 02-11-2009, 10:51 PM
**on soapbox**

Not trying to start an argument here, but I think $60 - $70 / HP is VERY reasonable. If you want to make HP with these cars, then you're gonna have to spend some money. Unfortunately, these cars aren't like EVO's and Subbies that we can just add a intake, downpipe, exhaust, a boost controller and some fuel management and get 100 HP. If you're looking for something that is more economical to mod, then your best of with a FI car. I know Terry on here has over $15K into the TT kit for his V36 sedan, so the 150 HP he gained from that cost him about $100 / HP. The only mods on our cars that I can think of that will net you better gains per dollar are maybe high flow cats and ECU reflash. You might get about 8 - 10 true HP out of HFC's for $500 (so $50 / HP) and maybe 15 true HP out of the reflash for $650 (~$45 / HP).

**off soapbox**

Anyway, thanks for the nice comments. It is always nice when people can share real world experiences with products so everyone else can make an informed buying decision.... We all know that you just can't believe all the claims that manufacturer's make anymore.

FYI... Part of the reason that I didn't gain more, was that my car seemed to overcompensate for the extra air and actually made the air / fuel ratio much richer with the K&N by a whole point. So, when I get my RevUp ECU reflash, I should be able to lean out 2 - 3 points and make some decent gains. KulG35 didn't have this issue and he actually gained closer to 6 - 7 HP with his K&N. He plans to post his dyno report when he gets a chance.

Old 02-11-2009, 11:00 PM
I'm sure that with an ECU tune like Camp3/RevUp/TechnoSquare, this 5 HP gain could very well turn into more and I do recognize that.
Also, I'm not by any means judging anyone who goes this route... it's just more buck for the bang I'd wanna get.
I'm currently tightening the belt on my modding budget until I launder enough dough for some Impul springs.
They'd be on and done by now, but the adult in me has be moving cautiously in this ridiculous economy.

Again, thanks for the time and efforts taken while gathering the info.

Old 02-11-2009, 11:04 PM
Yeah, I gotchya, and I agree. I'm a big fan of FI cars and have had several turbo charged cars in the past, which tend to spoil you from a bang for your buck stand point. I do wish that there were some much better bang for your buck mods for the HR engine. Hopefully we'll see some new items in the next year.

I should have my Berk HFC's installed soon and should be getting the UPpRev reflash within the next week or two, so I will post the updated results then.

Old 02-11-2009, 11:10 PM
Cool! I'm definitely interested in the results with the ECU flash.

That's also on my list.
The list seems to be getting longer and longer... Hmm.

Old 02-12-2009, 08:38 AM
I am putting changes into a big jar right now waiting for the Vortech SC for our engine.

Old 02-12-2009, 01:55 PM
You should wait for the Rotrex kit that Kraftworks is designing.... It's gonna come with full fuel control and UpRev reflash. Should be sweet. I've already got my name on the waiting list for one.

Old 02-12-2009, 01:57 PM
Originally Posted by AesonVirus
Cool! I'm definitely interested in the results with the ECU flash.

That's also on my list.
The list seems to be getting longer and longer... Hmm.
Hehe... Yeah, tell me about it. My list started with 5 or 6 items, and now I've got pages of items listed.... I'm trying to get my wife to get a second job to help support my new "habit".

Old 02-12-2009, 03:20 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
^ lol 2g, I'm in the same position as you, but i don't have a wife, I have a Girlfriend, I spent the money i was planning on using for v-day, now I have to think of something fast!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: K&N Typhoon Intake Group Buy - '07+ G35 Sedan