G37 Sedan wins yet another comparison. Acura TL SH-AWD and VW CC VR6 4Motion

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-24-2008, 09:24 PM
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
G37 Sedan wins yet another comparison. Acura TL SH-AWD and VW CC VR6 4Motion

http://blogs.edmunds.com/strategies/...portsedans.0.*

Sport Sedan Shootout: Two Wannabes, One Winner

So you've got about $40 grand to play with, and...wait a minute. Actually, these days you probably don't. For that matter, neither do I or my cohorts in this comparative venture, Automotive Editor John DiPietro and Associate Editor Mark Takahashi. Nonetheless, what would you do if a 2009 Acura TL SH-AWD, a 2009 Infiniti G37 Journey and a 2009 Volkswagen CC VR6 4Motion magically appeared in your garage?

You'd grab the keys and head for the hills, that's what. And that's exactly what the three of us did. We mapped out a 22-mile driving loop through the Santa Monica mountains and hot-lapped it three times, switching cars after each circuit. Then we sat down with our ratings sheets, ordered up some bloody burgers and debated the virtues and vices of each ride.

Truth be told, there wasn't much disagreement. In fact, the final rankings were unanimous. Read on to find out how these midsize sport sedans stack up -- and don't be afraid to tell us what you think.

3rd Place: 2009 Acura TL SH-AWD ($43,995)

We tried to like the TL SH-AWD. We really did. We were pleasantly surprised by its neutral cornering attitude -- despite the TL's nose-heavy front-wheel-drive platform (a derivative of the Accord's), the "Super Handling" all-wheel-drive system effectively eliminates understeer by sending course-correcting power to the rear wheels -- and our jaws dropped at the tenacious midcorner grip from the optional Michelin Pilot Sport PS2 summer tires. Honda's trademark road noise was blissfully absent during highway cruising, and the TL's five-speed automatic was the most refined and quickest-shifting of the three, although its 3.7-liter V6 felt markedly softer than the others. What's more, the TL SH-AWD's responsive electric power steering system is one of the best of its breed. So why did all three of us relegate this well-mannered Acura to last place?

Uhhh...have you seen this thing? "The overriding sensation I get from the TL," Takahashi confessed, "is ewwww!" Mused DiPietro: "Was an elephant seal the inspiration for that nose or what?" At least our test car was silver, which minimized the fugliness of the TL's metallic snout. But that failed to spare it our collective aesthetic scorn. The Acura's ho-hum dash layout didn't help its cause either -- too many of the center-stack controls were lifted straight out of the Accord, and we gave the dot-matrix silver plastic trim a sound round of booing. It's a rare car indeed (Pontiac Aztek? AMC Pacer?) that effectively disqualifies itself on stylistic grounds, but the new TL may be about to join this ignominious club.

The Verdict: Judged on talent alone, the TL SH-AWD runs neck-and-neck with the thoroughbred Infiniti. But it's got a face that only a Transformer could love -- and looks are vital in this image-conscious segment.

2nd Place: 2009 Volkswagen CC VR6 4Motion ($42,630)

Think of the Passat-based CC as the anti-TL. This four-seater is as handsome as the Acura is homely, with a sleek, low-slung shape that evokes that other "four-door coupe," the Mercedes-Benz CLS-Class. Same goes for the interior. We all judged the CC's cabin Best in Show -- this people's car has an upscale look and feel inside that puts the two premium marques to shame. The accolades kept coming when we compared stereos, as the CC's Dynaudio setup blew the others out of the water with its superior warmth and clarity; the TL's ballyhooed ELS system, for the record, brought up the rear on every ballot. We only wish that the sublimely-shaped rear seats weren't so short on headroom.

Unfortunately, the anti-TL thing also applies to the CC's handling. Steering and braking performance ranked a distant third, and there was more body roll in the compliant CC than in either of the firm-riding Japanese saloons. "It's more luxury sedan than sport sedan," DiPietro observed, speaking for us all. Yet the all-wheel-drive CC is still wholly competent when the going gets twisty. As Takahashi put it, "its ability to take curves at speed defies logic." The VR6 powerplant, too, is a sporty surprise, with ample low-end thrust and serious passing power on the highway. This dual personality makes the Vee-Dub a sophisticated alternative for those who don't require a full-on four-door sports car. Those who do are advised to consult "1st Place," below.

The Verdict: The CC VR6 4Motion is the gentleperson's midsize sport sedan. Takahashi said it best: "If I were older, or not into sports cars, perhaps I'd opt for this over the Infiniti."

1st Place: 2009 Infiniti G37 Journey ($41,265)

The rear-wheel-drive G37 is the hooligan's choice. Apparently we're a bunch of hooligans, because it was resoundingly our choice, too. This car has such an exuberant nature that it might as well come with a "Drive Me Hard" sticker on the steering wheel. The G's newly pumped-up 3.7-liter, 328-horsepower V6 dispenses with the 0-60 mph sprint in 5.4 honest seconds -- no rollout here, folks -- which is 0.9 seconds better than the CC and a whopping 1.3 seconds quicker than the Acura. It feels fast, too: Drop your right foot on the highway and you can't help but marvel at how traffic suddenly seems to be standing still. Much like the big VQ-series V6 under the hood, the G's new seven-speed automatic transmission is a touch unrefined but eager to please, matching revs on downshifts even in "D." The other two powertrains in this
test are competent, smooth, unobtrusive; this one, by
contrast, feels positively alive.

Our test car was equipped with the Sport Package, which adds go-fast goodies like column-mounted paddle shifters, tighter suspension tuning, performance tires and a quicker steering ratio. Thusly equipped, the G was a hoot to drive through the canyons, hanging its tail out in tight corners and delivering some of the best Nissan steering this side of the GT-R supercar. There are tradeoffs, though: The G had the noisiest and least-forgiving ride, which prevented us from fully enjoying the excellent Bose audio system. And the Infiniti is notably less luxurious inside than the CC, though its materials quality is more or less on par with the Acura's.

The Last Word: The G37 wins because we couldn't resist its rambunctious character. However, we have no problem recommending the more civilized Volkswagen to those who find the Infiniti's enthusiasm a bit over the top. As for the TL SH-AWD, it's a thoroughly capable sport sedan that Acura's stylists inexplicably smacked with the ol' ugly stick. Give it a facelift and an interior that doesn't look like a stylized Accord's, and then we'll talk.

Old 11-24-2008, 10:51 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mike, thanks for posting.

Acura's TL is generating a lot of negative buzz on Edmunds. The most entertaining parts of the comparison are the delusional comments from the pro-Honda camp.

Old 11-24-2008, 10:58 PM
Originally Posted by DeanOU
Acura's TL is generating a lot of negative buzz on Edmunds. The most entertaining parts of the comparison are the delusional comments from the pro-Honda camp.
I'm still somewhat pro-Honda (still own an Acura) but I think the 09 TL is hideous and would not even consider buying one. Acura's California design studio has turned out some questionable concept cars and designs over the past couple of years. It makes you wonder what they've been smoking in there. That said, I'll probably go test drive the TL and TSX this weekend just to see how they drive.

Now if the G could only slay the 335.....

Old 11-24-2008, 11:20 PM
I'm very pro-Honda, but the TL has always turned me off.

If they marketed it as a luxury sedan that competed with the Lexus ES, I'd have no problem with it, but marketing it as a performance sedan is a big mistake in my book.

Hell, I've owned more Hondas than Nissans

I'm still waiting on the G37 Sedan vs 335 reviews.... rather surprised nobody is brave enough to do it.

Old 11-24-2008, 11:24 PM
I have owned 5 3G TL's and the 4G TL is ugly and too big to be sporty. The car does not flow, it is liek the front mid and rear were designed by 3 different teams. Now if I could only get a G37 Journey Premium Nav silver on black in ATL I would be back in the Infiniti camp after a 5 year absence.

Old 11-24-2008, 11:39 PM
Originally Posted by kluken
I have owned 5 3G TL's and the 4G TL is ugly and too big to be sporty. The car does not flow, it is liek the front mid and rear were designed by 3 different teams. Now if I could only get a G37 Journey Premium Nav silver on black in ATL I would be back in the Infiniti camp after a 5 year absence.
WTF are you talking about if only you could get one? To get the exact car you want only takes going down to the dealer, configuring it exactly to your tastes and then letting them order if for you from the factory. After a 3 month wait (only two months for me) you'll have EXACTLY what you want. IMO ordering from the factory is the way to go if you don't want to compromise on color, options, etc...

Old 11-24-2008, 11:42 PM
Originally Posted by WUKILLABEEZ
WTF are you talking about if only you could get one? To get the exact car you want only takes going down to the dealer, configuring it exactly to your tastes and then letting them order if for you from the factory. After a 3 month wait (only two months for me) you'll have EXACTLY what you want. IMO ordering from the factory is the way to go if you don't want to compromise on color, options, etc...
+1

I take orders from all over the country.

Old 11-25-2008, 07:29 AM
Originally Posted by WUKILLABEEZ
Dealers are not taking orders until January and then I won;t need to order, what I want is a common config, if they woudl just release the inventory. What I mean is I want one now, I don't want to wait, I am in the market now, but will wait until they release the inventory and flush the stock piled cars, figure I'll be in a G37 Sedan around March. You lucked out since you ordered before Infiniti knew they would be stuck with so many 08's and they didn't know they would delay the 09.

Old 11-25-2008, 09:55 AM
Acura's inspiration for their new grill: Rodimus Prime

Old 11-25-2008, 11:30 AM
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
I agree with mike the TL should be compared to the ES and the maxima not the G.

I am also waiting for a magazine to do a 335 vs G37 test. My guess is it will be very close as far as the numbers go.

Old 11-25-2008, 12:34 PM
Originally Posted by kluken
Dealers are not taking orders until January and then I won;t need to order, what I want is a common config, if they woudl just release the inventory. What I mean is I want one now, I don't want to wait, I am in the market now, but will wait until they release the inventory and flush the stock piled cars, figure I'll be in a G37 Sedan around March. You lucked out since you ordered before Infiniti knew they would be stuck with so many 08's and they didn't know they would delay the 09.
I hear what you're saying. Some dealers are taking orders on the G37 sedan already others are playing that game about not taking orders until they try to get rid of the 08s. I just know that you can have anything you want in life if you're patient. I ordered my 08 G35 back in August of 2007. I was like you, I wanted the instant gratification of getting the car right away but after visiting the dealer's lot I knew I wouldn't be happy with settling for the cars they had out there. A few months seems like a long wait but it just makes it that much sweeter when you get exactly what you want in the end. I'd say that I would find a dealer (probably there are some on this board) who are taking orders on the 09 sedan now and go through them instead of your local dealer to get what you really want. Use a non-local dealer taking orders now, configure the car to your liking, let them order it and when it's done they'll transport it to your local dealer and bam! you're done and out the door with what you want...