G35 Sedan V36 2007- 08 Discussion about the 2nd Generation G35 Sedan 2007 - 08

First time in the snow with my G35Xs

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-22-2008, 05:09 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by *GP*
I bought some 17" rims off of ebay for a really good price ($80 each plus shipping) and mounted the Dunlop Winter Sports on them...see the picture. Then every spring and fall, I just switch the sets myself.

Keep in mind that if you buy winter tires through Discount Tire Store, they will change your tires twice a year for free....meaning change from winter to summer tires in the spring and summer to winter tires in the fall. I'm sure other places do that too. Tires Plus used to but stopped.

To all...please send some warm weather up to Minneapolis. Right now it's -9F with a -31F windchill.
Attachment 99531

GP...I am from Rochester (MN), so I know what kind of weather we are having lately...

I got my G sedan couple of days ago...and considering to put a dedicated set of winter tires. I have seen a few of us *not* considering the TPMS sensors while ordering their tires....any thoughts on whether or not they are required? Tirerack charges $360 for those, although they do free mount and balance....

Old 12-22-2008, 05:14 PM
GTO
Can some of your 07+ x owners post your winter setup, I'm in my 37 coupe and wishing I had AWD again. Once my lease comes up I'll probably roll into a G37x Sedan, I just want to see how to outfit it?

Old 12-22-2008, 10:31 PM
im using the stock tires and today my cars alignment got messed up.
steering wheel needs to be crooked to go straight....
i didnt hit anything...

Old 12-22-2008, 11:50 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by GTO
Can some of your 07+ x owners post your winter setup, I'm in my 37 coupe and wishing I had AWD again. Once my lease comes up I'll probably roll into a G37x Sedan, I just want to see how to outfit it?

Why not just the g37X coupe?

tg

Old 12-23-2008, 11:14 AM
I'm not using the TPMS sensor on my winter wheel/tire set. It's definitely not required. The only downside, other than not knowing if your tire pressure is low, is that the indicator comes on and stays on. It blinks for a little bit when you start the car and then remains solid. I thought it would bother me, but it really doesn't. I personally think it's a waste of money to get them and I can live with the indicator light.

Another option is to just get snow tires and mount them on your existing wheels. Like I said previously, Discount Tire will do this for free 2x a year. However, I believe you will need to visit the dealer to get the TMPS reset every time you switch tires.

Old 12-23-2008, 11:44 AM
Originally Posted by *GP*
I'm not using the TPMS sensor on my winter wheel/tire set. It's definitely not required. The only downside, other than not knowing if your tire pressure is low, is that the indicator comes on and stays on. It blinks for a little bit when you start the car and then remains solid. I thought it would bother me, but it really doesn't. I personally think it's a waste of money to get them and I can live with the indicator light.

Another option is to just get snow tires and mount them on your existing wheels. Like I said previously, Discount Tire will do this for free 2x a year. However, I believe you will need to visit the dealer to get the TMPS reset every time you switch tires.
Excellent -- thanks a lot for your inputs. Could you please provide the link to the ebay wheel/rim seller?

Old 12-23-2008, 03:47 PM
GTO
Originally Posted by tg1234
Why not just the g37X coupe?

tg
I love my 37 coupe, but with being all over the place and doing different stuff all the time, I'm going to get something a little more vesitile. The trunk in the coupe is so tiny, and I don't like having to drop the seat down all the time. Also when I have a backseat passenger dropping the seat isn't an option. I go snowboarding as a main hobby that I need a car for. I typically use our families Suburban, but always like the ablility to go up on a whim when I had my Quattro Audi. So that's kind of why I'm looking at the G37x Sedan, more room for transporting junk, 4 doors for going out with friends, and AWD for the few mountain trips here and there.

Old 12-23-2008, 08:13 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by GTO
I love my 37 coupe, but with being all over the place and doing different stuff all the time, I'm going to get something a little more vesitile. The trunk in the coupe is so tiny, and I don't like having to drop the seat down all the time. Also when I have a backseat passenger dropping the seat isn't an option. I go snowboarding as a main hobby that I need a car for. I typically use our families Suburban, but always like the ablility to go up on a whim when I had my Quattro Audi. So that's kind of why I'm looking at the G37x Sedan, more room for transporting junk, 4 doors for going out with friends, and AWD for the few mountain trips here and there.
Makes sense.

tg

Old 12-23-2008, 09:17 PM
Originally Posted by metalblaze
Excellent -- thanks a lot for your inputs. Could you please provide the link to the ebay wheel/rim seller?
metalblaze...I can't help you out on the ebay seller. I bought them 3 years ago for my '05 G35. They are 17" BSA wheels. However, there are plenty of other good options on ebay.

Old 12-24-2008, 10:23 AM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by GTO
I got 17" Fondmetals that i bought originally for my STi in the winters, but work on my G now that I traded that in. I slapped on 225/55s WS60s this winter to match diameter of my OEM 18"s.

So far so good.... with the stability control + WS60s this is a tank compared to the STi (I had contiwintercontact on the STi so not apples to apples, but I am loving what I got).

Last edited by kregg; 12-24-2008 at 10:37 AM. Reason: corrected winter tire name
Old 12-24-2008, 01:54 PM
Summer Tires in cold weather are not advisable

Because of the compound in the summer tires, they turn into hockey pucks in weather below 40 degrees. This can be very dangerous.

My S4 came with summer tires and I was warned by the dealer and the manufacturer to not use the summer tires in the winter. It was "suggested" that I put on all season tires (I live in the Mid-Atlantic so there was no reason for winter specific tires) they handled well in all forms of weather.

Old 12-25-2008, 10:54 AM
Good to see this thread is still going strong. Lot's of great info. The snow by me is now starting to melt. But the last couple of days my drive was an ice rink. Still surprise how well and easily that car makes the climb up the hill. It's much easier to drive up or down the driveway than to walk.

Old 12-25-2008, 11:21 AM
Originally Posted by SpudRacer
Absolutely! You can roll up to a light at 100 mph and just stab the brakes on glare ice. You can take turns faster than you can on racing tires and dry pavement. You'll never have to worry about throttle or steering inputs again. Road banked in the wrong direction on a downhill? No worries mate! Motor on. Wanna ride grandma's bumper in six inches of snow? Go ahead, it's perfectly safe. Wanna chow down on that Big Mac, have some fries, and catch up on those phone calls to friends you've been neglecting while driving on black ice? It's all possible with these tires.

Of course there's no guarantee! Dumb questions deserve dumb responses. But in response to your assertion that there's nothing you can do about black ice, these tires will give you much better control in a wider range of winter surface conditions. And yes, they will improve grip massively even on ice. They can be the difference between a huge repair bill and zero damage. Or, life and death.

I was out again today with slush and ice on the roads @ 21 degrees farenheit in the aftermath of a foot of snow yesterday. We had the Volvo because well.....my wife won't take the G35 to a mall parking lot at Christmas time. I was purposely trying to break the tires loose whenever I had a clear road. I tried on corners, stopping, accelerating uphill from a near standstill. The Blizzak DMZ3's on the Volvo are in their third and probably last season. It was actually pretty hard to get them to break traction even when doing stupid things. The car just tracked around corners at near full throttle. When it did drift, it was very easy to catch.

Guarantee? No! Good bet? Yes!
Was this meant as some kind of witted insult, I wished I saw this ealier. I don't drive my G at speeds where I can roll up to a light at 100 mph and just stab the brakes on glare ice, like you said. Maybe you do, I don't. I don't consider the G a Sport cars. It's too big and heavy. I drive the G more like a lukury car. Only time I hit higher speeds 80mph + is when the road are pretty empty and dry.

I know winter tires are much better than all-season, I'm not an idiot. If I owned a RWD G I would have purchased winter tires. But depending on your driving style you might not need them with an all wheel drive car. I used to use all-season with very little issues on some of my previous FWD cars, 83 GTI, 87 Scirocco 16V, and my 98 Honda Prelude. My former AWD 02 WRX wagon used all -season tires only and I never had any issues. Because when the weather was bad i drove carefully, hit the break gently, and kept my speed down.

Old 12-25-2008, 05:17 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I have a 08 G35X Sport. Purchased used OEM rims (the 18" rims) off ebay, 4 new TPMS, and 4 new Blizzak LM-25's.

I have a 9.5 mile commute to work but it's 8+ miles of hills, believe it or not, in Northern NJ.

This past snow event, we got about 7-8" of snow. Car was great, slid a tiny bit only when I was too aggressive on the gas (on purpose, to test the traction on snow). I don't regret one bit spending the $1400 or so for the entire setup.

I'd recommend going with a set of snows to anyone in areas where there's the possibility of snow during the winter.

Old 12-26-2008, 04:30 PM
I just had my 2008 g35xs (3weeks old) out in the snow for the first time, then 3 days later it snowed again. So far, I'm extremely pleased. No problems anywhere I wanted to go.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: First time in the snow with my G35Xs