G35 Sedan V36 2007- 08 Discussion about the 2nd Generation G35 Sedan 2007 - 08

First time in the snow with my G35Xs

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-19-2008, 07:18 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
First time in the snow with my G35Xs

Today I had the chance to drive my G35Xs for the firs time in the snow. For comparisons sake my previous car was an 02 WRX wagon. That car always wore high performance all-season tires and never gave me any trouble in the snow.

Any way had to drive home today in the snow storm from work. My normal 35-40 minute commute took me 2 1/2 hours, and a lot of people did not go to work today since the traffic this morning was extremely light.

My biggest concern with the G was how it was going to handle the climb up the steep hill to get to my driveway. My house sits on a hill. If you look out my first floor windows you can clearly see my neighbor’s 2nd floor windows. They’re almost perfectly aligned but I sit a little higher.

Anyway drove home in snow mode, and drove in the same manner I used to drive my WRX wagon. On the road I really couldn't tell any difference. The G moved well from a stop, changed lanes, and stopped with no issues. The only thing I felt was a little bit of slippage on certain places when accelerating from a stop, but really no different that my WRX. So far I'm very happy.

Now we get to the good part. How will this 3800lbs car with low profile all season tires going to climb up the driveway. My WRX had 205-50-16 and went up the hill very well. Anyway I had called my wife before I got to my house and told her I might have to park on the street, but I was going to try to get up the hill. I’m extremely happy to report that G got up the hill with no issues at all. In fact I did it twice since I had to run out to the store. I was very surprise that the G35Xs with it’s low profile all-season 225-50-18's was able to climb my hill to get to my driveway with no issues at all. Big thumbs up for the G.

Old 12-19-2008, 07:22 PM
Received 36 Likes on 33 Posts
Glad you are happy with it.

Get some good dedicated winters and it will drive like it's on rails

Old 12-19-2008, 07:44 PM
I'm sure it will, but I don't see the need since when there's snow on the ground I drive slowly and carefully. But it will definitely perform better with dedicated snow tires. Anyway like I said I drove it the same way I used to drive my old WRX wagon and was extremely impressed.

Although part of me is a little dissapointed. Had my G not made it up the hill my next car would of most likely been RWD. Oh well.

Old 12-19-2008, 08:30 PM
Originally Posted by gugarci
I'm sure it will, but I don't see the need since when there's snow on the ground I drive slowly and carefully. But it will definitely perform better with dedicated snow tires. Anyway like I said I drove it the same way I used to drive my old WRX wagon and was extremely impressed.

Although part of me is a little dissapointed. Had my G not made it up the hill my next car would of most likely been RWD. Oh well.
How many miles were on your tires? I wonder how the lower profile tires do after 10 or 15k miles.

Old 12-19-2008, 08:49 PM
I had the exact opposite experience in today's snow storm. I just moved up to Connecticut from Florida (6 days ago). My "RWD" G35s owned the roads down there. How does it do here? Once the snow started, i left work early so i could get a quick swim at the pool before Winter's fury came down later in the day. Big mistake, I walked out less than an hour later, carefully tried to drive out of the parking lot with a few inches of snow on the ground and i couldn't make it up even the slightest incline, even after a snow plow. The RWD prevented this, combined with my Summer Performance Tires that I forgot to replace. So I had to reverse it (using the rear view camera because snow was all over the back window) back into the parking lot. I had to abandon my car. It was embarassing to say the least. A Volvo came and saved me. On the way home a 335i was fishtailing all over the place trying to make it up the same hill, and a Saturn drove hapilly around him. My next car WILL DEFINITELY be a G35xs.

Infiniti Salesman-"you wont need an AWD, we don't even carry those here, why wait? drive off today in this regular G35s. sign here. yes.. sign right there."

Old 12-19-2008, 08:53 PM
My tires have a little over 8K miles.
If I had a RWD G I would swap to dedicated winters tires. Once you swap to winters tires you should be fine.

Last edited by gugarci; 12-19-2008 at 08:59 PM.
Old 12-19-2008, 11:46 PM
you got that right

Hey we have the same exact set up and my 1 hr drive from Mahwah NJ to Sermerset NJ on highway 287 turned into 7 hrs of nightmare as I spinned out 5 times, got screamed at by a couple troopers and honked at by plenty of TT drivers going 15mpr max all the way to just north of 78 til i start seeing blacktop, increased speed to 35 then. actually gave up on an uphill and waited for the tow truck for 3 hrs, never showed and a trooper told me to get on the gas in 2nd gear and i started climbing with the car going at a 30 degree angle it was all messed up, i stayed away from the snow banks after that, was such a scary experience I purchased the AS tires from TR right away, just glad I made it home alive.

Originally Posted by FloridaNative
I had the exact opposite experience in today's snow storm. I just moved up to Connecticut from Florida (6 days ago). My "RWD" G35s owned the roads down there. How does it do here? Once the snow started, i left work early so i could get a quick swim at the pool before Winter's fury came down later in the day. Big mistake, I walked out less than an hour later, carefully tried to drive out of the parking lot with a few inches of snow on the ground and i couldn't make it up even the slightest incline, even after a snow plow. The RWD prevented this, combined with my Summer Performance Tires that I forgot to replace. So I had to reverse it (using the rear view camera because snow was all over the back window) back into the parking lot. I had to abandon my car. It was embarassing to say the least. A Volvo came and saved me. On the way home a 335i was fishtailing all over the place trying to make it up the same hill, and a Saturn drove hapilly around him. My next car WILL DEFINITELY be a G35xs.

Infiniti Salesman-"you wont need an AWD, we don't even carry those here, why wait? drive off today in this regular G35s. sign here. yes.. sign right there."

Old 12-19-2008, 11:53 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My X failed me today, Ice on the road pawned me, car gave me a cool 540 spin before hitting a wall.

Old 12-20-2008, 12:22 AM
Sorry to hear that. You can't do anything against ice.

Old 12-20-2008, 11:36 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by gugarci
Sorry to hear that. You can't do anything against ice.
Not true, not true, not true!

Put some Blizzak ice tires on the car. We just bought a G35X in Sept. I bought a set of Blizzak WS60's and wheels from Tire Rack just before Thanksgiving and put them on a couple of weeks ago. We live in CT and got 8" of white stuff yesterday. A couple of days ago we had slight rain/snow mix that had turned to black ice by the time I was driving home from the office at 9PM.

First, the black ice incident. I was driving a 2006 Volvo XC90 also equipped with Blizzak's. Those were DMZ3 Blizzaks for light trucks. I was LMAO at the ***** driving on worn/summer/all season tires as they scared the crap out of themselves. There's a 2 mile hill just before I get home. The road is narrow and twisty. There were people sliding down without steering control. There were people going up (well, trying) that were sliding all over the place. I just picked my way around the idiots and motored up the hill at about 35MPH. I had braking and steering control. The ABS would trigger with moderate braking pressure and the front/rear would slip with too much speed. But overall, if I wasn't doing something stupid, i.e. slow speed, mild steering and braking, I had no problems at all.

Now for the snow. I had my wife's 2008 G35X yesterday while she took the Volvo to work. Were were expecting a major storm and she didn't want to risk damaging her baby. Having never had the G35X in snow and having just put a set of the new Blizzak WS60's on a couple of weeks ago, I decided to take it out for a test drive. Just like the Volvo, a G35 with Blizzaks was outperforming nearly everything on the road. There was one major hill where the road vee'd into an uphill left, right turn. There was a 24ft box truck trying to navigate the left turn. He was completely sideways and unable to steer or go forward. When he backed up and hit the brakes, he was just sliding. I was taking the right side of the vee. There were about a half dozen cars bogged down in 4-5" of snow that were clearly never going to make it. Once again, I just picked my way around the idiots without drama and watched the show from my rear view mirror. The car that seemed to have the absolute worst problem was a Pontiac G6. It surprised me that a front wheel drive car would be that immobilized.

When I got home, I turned into our neighborhood from a stop sign. The street has a mild slope and there was a neighbor turning right behind me. Once I was straightened out, I just nailed it, foot to the floor. The G35x shot up the slope from about 5mph to 40mph with only a tiny bit of slip. By the time I hit 40, my neighbor had managed to make about 5mph. I'm sure they were scratching their head because like most people they have likely never experienced a dedicated modern ice/snow tire.

I highly recommend Blizzaks.

Last edited by SpudRacer; 12-20-2008 at 11:45 AM.
Old 12-20-2008, 11:39 AM
X ftw. first time in my life that i didnt have to clear the driveway of snow to get a car out.
First awd in the family, and everyone loves it.

Old 12-20-2008, 11:56 AM
So are telling me with those Blizzak ice tires you can guarantee 100% it will not never slip/slide on ice. I find that hard to believe. But they should still work much better than all seasons.

Old 12-20-2008, 03:41 PM
I also am very pleased with the G in the snow I have the awd with 27K miles on the AS 18" tires and it was a breeze driving through the snow. I have a few hills where I live and had no problems at all getting up them. Last year in my RWD IS300 I had to go up them at a 30 degree angle in snow mode with TC off. This year straight as an arrow with the snow mode on no slipping at all

I have only got the slip light flashing (when I wasn't playing) 2 or 3 times I think.

Old 12-20-2008, 04:05 PM
This is my 3rd winter with my '07 G35S and I've had very few problems. (I live in MN).

I have Michelion pilot alpin 2's on my car and they've been great.

So are telling me with those Blizzak ice tires you can guarantee 100% it will not never slip/slide on ice. I find that hard to believe. But they should still work much better than all seasons.
You're right, good winter tires will not guarantee they will never slip, however, a good set of tires will help you handle slips in a predictive way unless you're doing stupid things.

Old 12-20-2008, 04:51 PM
Received 85 Likes on 74 Posts
Originally Posted by GEE35X
Glad you are happy with it.

Get some good dedicated winters and it will drive like it's on rails
+1!!!

I'm running Blizzak WS-50's in the winter and the car is better than I ever could have hoped.
They're not as pretty as my summer setup, but I'm not getting stuck anywhere either.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: First time in the snow with my G35Xs