G35 Sedan V36 2007- 08 Discussion about the 2nd Generation G35 Sedan 2007 - 08

Handling: G37 vs. G8 GT

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-27-2009, 11:53 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by oab97
I test drove a G8 GT before getting my G37S 6MT. I knew I didn't want it because a manual was a must-have for me but I figured the test drive would be fun. Here's brief run-down of my thoughts.

Handling (the OP's question): The G8 handles well for a big saloon car. It's probably rightly placed in the same league as the 5-series in publications. But nobody ever accused a 5-series of handling like a 3-series (except perhaps the M5). Also keep in mind that in most publications the 5-series is out handled by the Infiniti M and has lost several recent overall comparisons between the two. The G37 is smaller lighter and handles noticeably better than the G8. In my mind, the G37 handles like a 4-dr sports coupe/GT. The G8 handles very well for a full-size sedan, but in the corners and under braking you definitely feel the extra weight of that big v8 in the front and the extra size of the car.

Engine: The G8 GT is rated at 355hp the G37 at 328hp. The G37 is ~400lbs lighter though and actually has a better power/weight ratio. The way the engines make power is completely different. The G8's V8 has gobs of low-end torque but doesn't rev as freely. That's not inherently good nor bad but more a matter of personal taste.

Price: The G8 is cheaper by a little over 2 grand (+/- based on options).

Features: The G37 has a few more luxury/tech amenities. The G8 has remote start which is a neat trick though.

Build quality/materials: The G37 has a nicer interior than the G8 (leather and contact surface feel). I think both have very good but not exemplary fit & finish. The Holden is much nicer than the average Pontiac and I call F&F close to a tie.

Size: The G8 is a bigger more utilitarian car

Efficiency: The G8 gets about 3mpg less but can run on regular octane so there's probably not too much difference to the pocketbook. If your concern is melting Antarctica more than your wallet the G is a less grievous offense.
I agree with you for the most part.

The weight of the G8 probably makes it suffer when comparing the handling to a G37 sedan. However, the V8 engine weighs no more than the VQ37HR engine.

The G37 does have a better power to weight ratio so I predict that in a straight line acceleration test the G37 would be just as fast. However, it's too easy to mod the G8 for more power as a $400 chip gives you 400hp. The torque from the G8's engine is in an extremely useable range so acceleration-wise the G8 probably is a bit faster than a G37.

Price, I could have sworn that the G37 is substantially more expensive than the G8 GT. Using USAA as a reference....

G37 7AT Journey w/Premium + Sport package is $36,541
G8 GT w/ Premium + sport + sunroof is $28823

So there is about a $8000 difference, not $2000 difference. Hell, if it were just a $2000 difference, there's no point to even consider the the G8 GT over a G37 sedan.

Interior, I agree completely with you.

Old 01-28-2009, 12:35 PM
Originally Posted by Polo08816

G37 7AT Journey w/Premium + Sport package is $36,541
G8 GT w/ Premium + sport + sunroof is $28823

So there is about a $8000 difference, not $2000 difference. Hell, if it were just a $2000 difference, there's no point to even consider the the G8 GT over a G37 sedan.
I don't know where you got your number from but the G8 GT w/ Premium + sport + sunroof is not 28K. It's more like 35K MSRP. You have to compare using MSRP not some magic discount you got at your uncle's dealer.

The G37 will also be decidely faster 0-60 and especially 1/4 mile since pushrod engine usually runs out of breath up there.

Old 01-28-2009, 01:14 PM
My butt-dyno was more impressed with the G37 than the G8 but that could be in large part to the fact that one's a manual and one's an auto. The engaged feeling of slamming home gears and chirping the tires can skew butt-dyno results.

On price, I was comparing a base G8 GT MSRP ($32,440) to a base G37 Journey MSRP ($34,515). Just to be sure my numbers were right that data comes straight from www.pontiac.com and www.infiniti.com. If you "Build your own" on each website to the specs you listed above the numbers are G8 ($35,190) & G37 ($39,115) for ~$4000 difference. The only way to get an $8000 difference in MSRP is to compare a loaded G37 to a base G8 GT. USAA is either wrong or including current incentives.

I have no personal knowledge on the moddability of the G8 engine. I'll take your word that chipping it will give you 45hp for $400 although that's a very bold claim for a NA engine. Usually, significant hp gains from chipping alone are limited to FI engines where chipping includes upping the boost levels. Also, I can just about guarantee that ECU changes to add 45hp would necessitate using only premium fuel which results in a clear efficiency advantage for the G37. With both cars requiring premium a G37 driver would spend ~17% less on gas.

Oh, one other point I forgot in my original comparison: The V8 sounds way cooler than the V6

They're both cool cars. Good luck with your decision.

Old 01-28-2009, 01:25 PM
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
you are going to get more for the money with the G37 in terms of options and luxury i think. The G8 is a high 13/low 14 second car in quarter mile. Arguably, the G37 is faster. You are getting raw power and a fair interior with the G8, except for that 1980s Atari guage in the dash. Since the G8 is heavier, I would assume that the G37 handles better, but it mostly depends on driver.

The G8 GXP is supposed to come out next year with an increase in HP, better interior, navigation and HIDs, but also comes with a 40K price tag.

In terms of modding, the V8 will probably be more mod friendly and will probably see more gains then the VQ37VHR would without FI. American V8s tend to be more restrictive from the factory and are usually under rated, just the way it is.

Overall the G8 is a nice car, im glad they finally got the concept that FWD and V8 is completely retarded.

Old 01-28-2009, 03:48 PM
Originally Posted by LudwigB
I don't know where you got your number from but the G8 GT w/ Premium + sport + sunroof is not 28K. It's more like 35K MSRP. You have to compare using MSRP not some magic discount you got at your uncle's dealer.

The G37 will also be decidely faster 0-60 and especially 1/4 mile since pushrod engine usually runs out of breath up there.
1. I got my number from USAA which is pre-negotiated for both the G37 and G8 GT. You shouldn't compare MSRPs, you should compare the actual market selling price because that is what matters the most.

2. The G37 is a bit quicker stock because it runs on premium fuel and the G8 GT runs on 87 octane fuel. When the G8 GT is reflashed for 93 octane fuel, it makes 400hp and it's game over for the G37 when you're racing from a roll. Pushrod =/= it runs out of breath. 400hp and nearly 400ftlbs from an engine with the same physical weight and size as a VQ37HR and cheaper to manufacture is pretty damn good.

For the record, I'm waiting until Dec 09 to see these $4000 manufacturer incentives on G37s which will definitely happen because Infiniti chose to only start selling their inventory in February.

Last edited by Polo08816; 01-28-2009 at 03:54 PM.
Old 01-28-2009, 04:32 PM
Originally Posted by Polo08816
1. I got my number from USAA which is pre-negotiated for both the G37 and G8 GT. You shouldn't compare MSRPs, you should compare the actual market selling price because that is what matters the most.

2. The G37 is a bit quicker stock because it runs on premium fuel and the G8 GT runs on 87 octane fuel. When the G8 GT is reflashed for 93 octane fuel, it makes 400hp and it's game over for the G37 when you're racing from a roll. Pushrod =/= it runs out of breath. 400hp and nearly 400ftlbs from an engine with the same physical weight and size as a VQ37HR and cheaper to manufacture is pretty damn good.
You have to compare stock vs. stock. With mod, anything is possible. Beside, you can't buy 93 octane here in California.
As for the G8 pricing, anybody can come up with any sort of deal without having to buy the car or dealer having to sell the car. Besides you can get a discount on the G37 as well. I know a guy who got 1/2 off the G37 msrp.

Last edited by LudwigB; 01-28-2009 at 04:42 PM.
Old 01-28-2009, 04:56 PM
Originally Posted by LudwigB
You have to compare stock vs. stock. With mod, anything is possible. Beside, you can't buy 93 octane here in California.
As for the G8 pricing, anybody can come up with any sort of deal without having to buy the car or dealer having to sell the car. Besides you can get a discount on the G37 as well. I know a guy who got 1/2 off the G37 msrp.
I prefer to buy the G37 but only if we see the same incentives we have seen on the G35 these past 3 months.

Yes, stock to stock comparisons are great. But sometimes it's just too easy to mod a car especially when it involves zero wrenching and simply just a
plug and play.

We can get 93 octane here in NJ.

Old 01-28-2009, 06:02 PM
LH1
I'm shopping the exact same cars too.

I test drove a G8 back in July. The two things I liked best was how it didn't feel huge/heavy while driving it and it's a very good looking car. The exhaust note stock was very disappointing, but that's any easy fix. I'm very tempted by it because there's a used one for 23k at the local Pontiac dealer, which happens to be right next door to my Infiniti dealer.

As far as modding goes, some G8 owners are already in the mid 12's @ 108-110 with not alot of work done.

I haven't driven the G37 yet, but I will be shortly. I did see some really good deals out there though. I saw one on Autotrader for $31,950.

Old 04-22-2011, 11:40 AM
G8

i owned a G35 and switched to a G8. let me clarify, there is no comparison power wise. The G8 GT with 385lbs of torqe will smoke any infiniti on the road. if you dont beleive me thats fine, look on youtube G8 GT vs G37 coupe. you will find two races between the two. both are embarressing for the G37. The infiniti is a much nicer car, but stands no chance in a straight race

Old 04-22-2011, 05:44 PM
Originally Posted by cjenglish
i owned a G35 and switched to a G8. let me clarify, there is no comparison power wise. The G8 GT with 385lbs of torqe will smoke any infiniti on the road. if you dont beleive me thats fine, look on youtube G8 GT vs G37 coupe. you will find two races between the two. both are embarressing for the G37. The infiniti is a much nicer car, but stands no chance in a straight race
Actually, the G37 will easily holds its own against a G8 GT, stock to stock. Look at Car & Driver, Motor Trend, or Road & Track for proof that the G37 has as good or better 0-60 and 1/4 mile times. Yes, the G8 GT has more power and torque, but it also weighs more, has different gearing, etc.

I could care less what some drag race video on youtube shows. There's too many variables, i.e. driver's skill, level of mods, etc.

Regardless, the original topic at hand was handling, which the G37 is clearly superior.

Old 04-22-2011, 06:02 PM
Red Card Crew

Received 583 Likes on 496 Posts
Motor Trend had the G8 a 5.0 and 13.5

The same mag had a compro of a G37 vs a Cadallic and had that at 5.4 and 13.7

IMHO, price wise, the G37 stacks up closer to the GXP. Which is no comparison. 4.5 sec and 13 sec flat 1/4. Which matched a M5 time, handling and braking power.

Old 04-22-2011, 06:13 PM
Received 184 Likes on 159 Posts
Originally Posted by Jayhawk815
Actually, the G37 will easily holds its own against a G8 GT, stock to stock. Look at Car & Driver, Motor Trend, or Road & Track for proof that the G37 has as good or better 0-60 and 1/4 mile times. Yes, the G8 GT has more power and torque, but it also weighs more, has different gearing, etc.

I could care less what some drag race video on youtube shows. There's too many variables, i.e. driver's skill, level of mods, etc.

Regardless, the original topic at hand was handling, which the G37 is clearly superior.
^+1, could not have replied better

Old 05-17-2011, 11:10 AM
Originally Posted by Jayhawk815

I've owned both and I'm going to have to disagree with this with regard to handling. The Zeta platform on the G8 is actually far superior in comparison. Now stock vs. stock it's pretty darn close with a slight edge to the G37. However, once the modifications start it's pretty much a slaughter with the nod to the G8. A fully Pedderized G8 will routinely beat the Z06 Vette around a road course. Straight line performance will result in the same end result. Keep in mind that these cars are meant to appeal to different market segments. The G37 is a refined performance sedan which is does REALLY well, especially given it's price. The G8 is an inexpensive large sports sedan. It's extremely easy and cheap to make the G8 fast and handle great. I left my G stock, but my G8 has full suspension upgrades as well as many power adders. Straight line performance is mid 12's on street tires and low 12's on street radials. Total cost for all this is still way below the current G37 pricing. Again, two separate cars for totally different market segments. Luxury sport vs. raw power.

Old 05-17-2011, 11:51 AM
Received 116 Likes on 110 Posts
I like this. A >2 year old thread gets revived by some G8 enthusiasts talking about Youtube racing videos and modded G8's.

There are many modded G35/37's that will run 12's or better but that still has (or should I say had) nothing to do with this thread.

Old 05-17-2011, 12:43 PM
Originally Posted by rpm&my_G35
I like this. A >2 year old thread gets revived by some G8 enthusiasts talking about Youtube racing videos and modded G8's.

There are many modded G35/37's that will run 12's or better but that still has (or should I say had) nothing to do with this thread.
Agreed. The original topic was handling, not straight line acceleration or ease of modification. If heavy modding, speed, etc. are your only criteria, then there are better options than a G. Regardless, that isn't what is being discussed here.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Handling: G37 vs. G8 GT