G35 Sedan V36 2007- 08 Discussion about the 2nd Generation G35 Sedan 2007 - 08

G37 Motor

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-10-2009, 12:54 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
G37 Motor

So I dropped off my 08 G35 sedan for service yesterday at Glendale Infiniti and the service rep notified me that they have replaced over a dozen motors, yes MOTORS on the new G37 Sedan. Most common problem was a "pinging and knocking, followed by complete failure" also "problematic exhaust system". He mentioned that its very problematic and does not reccomend purchasing the vehicle until the 2nd generation comes out.

Old 02-10-2009, 01:02 PM
Premier Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thats funny because they probably havent even sold a dozen 37 sedans yet.

But yes there is an issue with some of the VHR motors (08-9 coupes & 09 sedans)

Old 02-10-2009, 03:26 PM
Well, we bought one last week. Our dealer in CT said they've sold 47. (I asked)

Our salesman called the day after we bought our G37x sedan to see how we liked it, but I hadn't driven it due to snow/sleet/salt issues/bad storm. I did tell him I had just read some scary posts online concerning the G37x AT sedan. Several frustrated G37x AT sedan owners are having issues with car going into "fail safe" mode at odd times - especially in slush, but sometimes on dry roads too. He was surprised & said he'd ask his service mgr to check into this & he called back to report that Infiniti they could find nothing, and asked me to get back to him with the forums I got my info from. I will do that today..and now will offer this post to him as well.

I thought this particular engine was already proven out with the 2008 G37 coupe. The G37 sedan has same engine, so I'm surprised to hear of this. Only the 7AT transmission is new, so it's amazing to read that one dealer has replaced so many engines on the G37. And why can't my dealer find any info that would confirm there are problems?

Between reading this new post, and the other recent posts concerning the "fail safe" mode, it seems odd that Infiniti is telling my dealer there are no issues....

Last edited by catlover52; 02-13-2009 at 07:51 PM. Reason: correction
Old 02-10-2009, 04:01 PM
catlover - the 2009 G37 does not have the same engine as the 2008 G35. The 2008 Coupe (G37) had the 3.7L engine, but the 2008 Sedan (G35) had the previous 3.5L engine.

2009 is the first year that the new 3.7 (that is in both Coupe/Sedan) is mated to the new 7spd transmission. That may be where some of the issues come from.

Old 02-10-2009, 04:15 PM
Originally Posted by catlover52
I did tell him I had just read some scary posts online concerning the G37x AT sedan. Several frustrated G37x AT sedan owners are having issues with car going into "fail safe" mode at odd times - especially in slush, but sometimes on dry roads too.

I know of one member here having this problem, Has anyone else heard of another incident of this nature?

Old 02-10-2009, 05:09 PM
Originally Posted by comiha22
catlover - the 2009 G37 does not have the same engine as the 2008 G35. The 2008 Coupe (G37) had the 3.7L engine, but the 2008 Sedan (G35) had the previous 3.5L engine.

2009 is the first year that the new 3.7 (that is in both Coupe/Sedan) is mated to the new 7spd transmission. That may be where some of the issues come from.
One of the reasons we went ahead with the G37x sedan was because a few reviewers felt the 3.7L engine (in the coupe) has already been "tested" so no issue of an untested engine...
If there is an "issue" with the "mating" of the 3.7L engine to the 7AT, why would the engine have to be replaced? Wouldn't it just happen again?
I'm not a car tech person, but find it a bit hard to believe that more than 12 engines have been totally replaced - where's the fix?

Old 02-10-2009, 05:15 PM
Originally Posted by rohardi
I know of one member here having this problem, Has anyone else heard of another incident of this nature?
I have read of at least 2 members with this problem or similar. One goes by "the rever"; the other is (literally) "stranded" I wish them both luck and biting my nails as new owner myself!You need to take the time to read thru all their posts and the replies they are getting. You'll also find their posts and others in both myG37.com and g35driver.com You can search for all their posts in other threads by clicking on their names and then going to the tab labeled "statistics" - it will show all posts and threads by each person. Should help you.

Old 02-10-2009, 05:55 PM
Originally Posted by Rizzagt22
So I dropped off my 08 G35 sedan for service yesterday at Glendale Infiniti and the service rep notified me that they have replaced over a dozen motors, yes MOTORS on the new G37 Sedan. Most common problem was a "pinging and knocking, followed by complete failure" also "problematic exhaust system". He mentioned that its very problematic and does not reccomend purchasing the vehicle until the 2nd generation comes out.
You had me scared as a new G37x sedan owner - I called Glendale & you got your info wrong - it's the COUPE, not the sedan that have had new engines put in.
I also think it's worth noting that every coupe owner with a replaced engine was young - very young. Kind of makes me go "hmmmm" Yes, something is not right, but interesting that no dealers having this issue on the East Coast where there aren't as many public race tracks around....

Old 02-10-2009, 06:19 PM
Interesting..I would think any major kinks in VQ37VHR would've been ironed out for the most part with the 2008 G37 coupes and not carry into MY 2009.

Old 02-10-2009, 09:41 PM
LOL...you guys are making me skeered. I haven't even taken delivery of my 09 G37 6MT yet!

Old 02-10-2009, 09:51 PM
Correction, I was notified by the service rep today that it was actually the Coupes, NOT the sedans. He said the reason for the problems was caused by those "who race their cars".

Old 02-10-2009, 10:06 PM
None here. G37xS with 2k miles. Running like a champ.

Old 02-11-2009, 02:18 AM
Hmm. Well now. Isn't this an interesting thread?

I got my car back today after the regional service tech took a look at it. He found nothing, and suggested I was depressing the brake pedal and accelerator at the same time, putting the car into limp mode. The service advisor said that the car can be brought out of limp mode immediately by depressing the brake pedal alone.

So, I tried my best to force my car into limp mode by pressing both pedals at the same time at 5 mph, 10 mph, 15, 20 and 30 mph, all without success. I have sent my service advisor my findings and asked for clarification or if I'm doing something wrong.

While the limp mode is the same, I could not get the car out of limp mode by braking; only after turning it off and letting it sit for a half hour did the car reset.

Hmm.

Old 02-12-2009, 05:13 PM
Originally Posted by Rizzagt22
Correction, I was notified by the service rep today that it was actually the Coupes, NOT the sedans. He said the reason for the problems was caused by those "who race their cars".
They probably used regular gas too instead of premium.

Old 02-12-2009, 10:12 PM
I had a similar issue with my 6MT when I was messing around in the snow. Has only done it once. Haven't had a problem since.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: G37 Motor