G35 Sedan V36 2007- 08 Discussion about the 2nd Generation G35 Sedan 2007 - 08

Horrible Downshift Issue on 08 AT

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-16-2009, 10:56 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by vps221
I couldnt agree with this comment more. Terrible throttle tip in. They said the 07 was too sensitive so they desensitized the 08's. Now you have to 3/4 floor it for the car to accelerate quickly. And it does feel like you hit a brick wall when you downshift and accelerate hard, even from third to second. I hate the lag when you accelerate hard from a stop. It sounds like the car takes a deeeeeep breathe and then blows.

Maybe I just expect too much from this car. But I swear at times it responds well and Im impressed. Then other times not so impressive. I know some ppl will say the ECU adapts to you're driving style. Me personally I like to cruise when Im ready, but when I need power I expect it to always be there...
Finally someone else gets what Im talking about. We need some kind of specialty flash for this.

Old 04-17-2009, 03:29 PM
Get a grounding kit

My M mode downshifts are much smoother now. And it may fix throttle tip-in issues (I've always thought mine was good tho)

Old 04-17-2009, 05:06 PM
Originally Posted by kre62
Finally someone else gets what Im talking about. We need some kind of specialty flash for this.
You've said it yourself though, the rental G's you've driven don't do this. Might be hard to get a special flash, but wouldn't really any Cobb/Uprev type tune would achieve the same results?? Essentially I think they they re-map all the settings, including throttle response, shift times, etc.

Honestly if there's an issue here I would continue to pursue it with the dealer or maybe trade it in. That would be my excuse to the wife anyways to get a G37 . Test drive the next one you get to make sure the issue isn't there. Otherwise personally I would also consider an S5 (sweet car) and maybe a 335xi.

A grounding kit is not a bad idea either. Definitely improved my M shift lag and shifting in general seems a bit smoother.

Old 04-17-2009, 07:14 PM
Originally Posted by chapter29

A grounding kit is not a bad idea either. Definitely improved my M shift lag and shifting in general seems a bit smoother.
I was only half serious, because it seems ridiculous you should have to put an aftermarket part on the car to try and fix a problem the dealer can't handle. But in all honesty, if it works it may be worth the $60-80 investment. And if not, I'm sure you can sell it to someone else around here.

Old 04-18-2009, 11:25 AM
Downshift 2008 issue

I noticed an acceleration problem with my transmission (as my G-35S 2008 was driven from BNA to HSV)...my local dealership RESET the transmission and the problem was IMMEDIATELY corrected...you may want to consider the same...have the dealership reset the transmission...hope your problem is rectified soon.

Sir Lennox

Old 04-18-2009, 01:40 PM
Originally Posted by terrycs
If you drive around like a grandmother in DS mode, the transmission will behave like it is in D mode. However, if you drive, stop or corner more aggressively in DS mode, the transmission will hold shifts longer AND downshift more aggressively.
The DS mode aggressive shift algorithm changes back to normal shifting after the car is stopped - but it will go back to aggressive shifting if you drive that way.
Hope this makes sense.
Yep I can also verify that. As I sometime will shift into DS hit traffic and then finish driving home in DS mode like my grandmother.

Old 04-18-2009, 11:00 PM
Well as the original post stated, this is a chronic problem just driving in regular D mode and coming to a gentle stop. Its my wife's car and for the price you pay for this it should be better than a cheap Kia or Sentra when stopping at a light. I'm not willing to put aftermarket stuff or other things to fix it. Just need to know if other "stock" G's have this issue or if someone knows a way to escalate the issue higher up in the Nissan/infiniti corp.
The car's a nice car but its supposed to drive like a 'sport-luxury' not a pure sports car. When driven hard its supposed to respond but driving around town lazily it should be smooth. Thanks all!

Old 04-19-2009, 12:57 AM
For the record I don't have your problem. Mine only down shifts hard when being driven aggressively. When being driven at normal speed in D or DS my downshifts are pretty smooth.

Don't know if this has been suggested but maybe resetting the ECU might help do the trick.

Also there are people in this forum and in the My37 forums complaining about a similar problem with the 7 speed.
https://g35driver.com/forums/g37-sed...ming-stop.html
http://myg37.com/forums/g37-sedan/19...37x-sedan.html
Good luck.

Last edited by gugarci; 04-19-2009 at 10:33 AM. Reason: Added Link
Old 04-22-2009, 10:56 PM
Originally Posted by blbncsu
Hey guys. I posted a thread now over a year ago regarding our 08 Journey G35 5AT. The problem is that when just driving in normal mode and approaching a stop the car will sometimes "Jerk" really hard as it downshifts into 1st gear. This happens at certain speeds when normally coming to a stop, as opposed to a very hard fast braking stop. Its a very noticeable jerk as it goes into 1st.

Its been really annoying for a long time now. We've taken it mulitple times to the dealership here in town but as usual here are the comments:
"Its normal, this is how all Infiniti's are"
"Have you ever driven an Infiniti before" (yes, your rentals don't do this)
"The computer shows no codes or issues" (Do mechanics no longer know how to actually turn a wrench anymore and diagnose without a laptop??)

My issue is this shouldn't be normal for a $36k car, a cheap Nissan Sentra downshifts smoother when stoping.

Has anyone else experienced this similiar issue on their cars and/or had it resolved?

Secondly, is there anyone at Nissan USA to raise the issue to. I'd probably never buy another Infiniti now (maybe a manual) due to this issue and lack of concern to help solve or explain the problem. Thanks.
Are you referring to the car in stop n go traffic? There is athread about the car going into a very "weird" downshift at about 20 mph or so in stop n go. That was happening to my 2005 Altima SL v-6. It's either the torque coverter or the valve body in the tranny, not the tranny itself. In the Altima they replaced the tranny, it was worse. My mechanic told me it's the torque coverter. never got to the bottom of it, the car was leased and turn in approaching, so let it go. It happened after about 20k miles or so. Check into it.

Old 05-02-2009, 05:13 AM
Known Issue

I've had this problem for the longest since I've owned the car, and I thought to myself that it was just how the car was made...Until I drove the exact same model and got a different throttle feel. The car in question is 2007 G35x 5AT with premium, navi, no tech package. It is present in almost all stopping conditions, but extremely prevalent in light breaking situations when there is more engine braking, gear negation vs. brake usage. Brakes are applied around 20-25 MPH in 2nd gear, and then it will feel as if the car is jerked backwards. Then 1st gear is engaged, and everything is fine. Sometimes I get the same "wall" feeling when upshifting from 3rd to 4th. It feels as if there is a complete loss of power, then a sudden rush of torque between 3rd and 4th when the car is shifting in the 3-5k band range. More of this phenomena can be replicated because I also have "throttle lag". I mash the gas pedal for 2 inches, nothing. Then a little bit more, and I get all the power at once, and the tach goes nuts =) Even weirder is that all of this happens in "D" but not "DS". I can eliminate these jerks in M mode when I do a bit of rev matching during fast downshifts.

I've read earlier about resetting the ECU by disconnecting the Battery. Should I be worried about navi or radio codes?

Old 05-02-2009, 09:16 AM
jojo35: Have you had any of the TSB ECU updates applied. You should have the dealer look at it. TSB 07-028 is one that addresses throttle sensitivity, cruise control issues, etc. I had that applied last year. I experienced a harsh upshift into 3rd gear primarily a few months ago. Dealer replaced the Valve Body in the transmission. Now much better, but not perfect. A few weeks ago, bringing my 07 G35X in for service, the Advisor applied a TSB 08-017. THIS WAS A MISTAKE....It chnaged the 07 into an 08, slight hesitation and chnaged shift points. I protested, went for a drive with the Service Manager [a very nice cooperative guy, btw] he acknowledged the mistake - I didn't ask for it. I read this forum, and other members warned how this ECU update was not favorable. Anyway, the Dealer replaced the ECM - ordered new and insured that it was not REFLASHED with 08-017. Now it drives like old..... not exactly, but pretty close. I like the sensitive throttle... Your problem I think is in the Torque Converter or Valve Body in the Tranny. See my earlier comments about the same experience in an Altima v-6.

Old 05-02-2009, 11:53 AM
almatti, thanks for the help, it was what I was looking for. Let me clear some things up first. I haven't done anything to the car in terms of the ecu. When your car got the ECM replaced, did you reflash to TSB 07-028?

Old 05-02-2009, 07:56 PM
jojo: I don't know. It may be since the ECM was replaced from the factory according to the dealer. It is less hesitant and more like the 07 I have grown to enjoy and love. The car is awesome overall though, despite some flaws.

Old 05-02-2009, 10:49 PM
Just a hunch but it sounds like a problem with the lockup torque converter clutch (TCC) or the solenoid that controls the TCC. If it's locked-up in 2nd gear and downshifts hard into 1st, that sounds like a problem worth getting fixed by the dealer. Try contacting Nissan (Infiniti?) Customer Service's national office and see if you can get any where with them.

I don't know squat about cars but I do know that it is always better to get the manufacturer to fix a problem when it's under warranty than to try some work-around.

BTW, I'm surprised it didn't throw a code. The tcm and ecm are usually pretty sensitive to stuff that isn't working right.

Good luck.

Old 05-03-2009, 08:22 AM
jojo & calejohnson: Yep, that was the problem with the 2005 Altima SL, V-6 I had a few years ago. Threplaced the Tranny, my mechanic saod that it was probably the Torque converter....I never did go back since this all happened toward the end of my lease term. The Alti did the same thing: in traffic on the highway, say 20-35 mph range, she would abruptly shift down in "jolt-like" fashion. If you Punched the trottle, this did not happen & it was better in Manual Mode Auto shifting. It had the 5 speed Auto tranny. Good luck jojo..Post your results to inform us all.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Horrible Downshift Issue on 08 AT