G35 Sedan V36 2007- 08 Discussion about the 2nd Generation G35 Sedan 2007 - 08

Does the VDC really turn off?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-10-2009, 09:28 AM
Received 41 Likes on 26 Posts
I think we need to get a few things straight here.

VDC (Vehicle Dynamic Control) is simply a Traction Control device which cuts throttle and applies rear brakes to prevent the rear wheels from spinning and thus prevents you from sliding and eventually crashing. If you shut it off (VDC light comes ON) you are simply shutting off Traction Control (since that all that VDC controls). The device no longer interrupts the throttle or the brakes in any way. I have no clue why people say it still stays on even after shutting it off. If it really does, then something is wrong with your VDC.

Now, ABS on the other hand has NOTHING to do with VDC. VDC and ABS are two different systems and VDC does not control ABS. ABS is ALWAYS ON whether VDC is on or off.

If VDC is OFF (Light on dash comes ON), then you should be able to drift, donut, etc without any problems. The ONLY thing that VDC will still control is when the brakes and throttle are both pressed (when you try to burnout). VDC will limit engine RPM and thus you won't go anywhere. It's made that way so you don't mess up your tranny, diff and rear brakes.

Old 05-10-2009, 10:39 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I thought that VDC applies braking in a ABS fashion [meaning that the application of the brakes is done by the ECU without Lockup] to ANY wheel and reduces engine throttle in a situation where misdirection is interpreted by the ECU. Correct the direction of the vehicle. Vehicle Dynamic Control - VDC. That what is designed to do. If you think about it, it would seem that the Traction Control system would disengage too. I'm going to test that out next rainfall.

Old 05-10-2009, 10:58 PM
The VDC "off" does disable the brake system that is employed to keep the car from a dangerous slide or drift. When guys are seeing the "slip" light blinking, this is the ecu interpreting the differential axle speeds of each wheel. There are sensor rings on the inboard sides of the axles before they bolt to the axle flanges sticking out of the sides of the differential. Each axle has a sensor and when the ecu senses different axle speeds from left to right, the "slip" light flashes. You usually won't see it as much with the cars that have VLSD's because the axles are locking together but only after the differential fluid is "activated" by the counter spinning. It takes a second for a VLSD to react to a spinning tire and then will lock up with the other side.

Old 05-10-2009, 11:01 PM
Originally Posted by Q8y_drifter
The ONLY thing that VDC will still control is when the brakes and throttle are both pressed (when you try to burnout). VDC will limit engine RPM and thus you won't go anywhere. It's made that way so you don't mess up your tranny, diff and rear brakes.
This isn't true. My 04 6mt sedan used to be able to do burnouts at the track no problem while depressing the brake to hold the car in the box. I never got any blinking lights or problems of any kind. 4-5000rpm burnouts were not an issue.

Old 05-10-2009, 11:44 PM
Moderation-free
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by almatti
I thought that VDC applies braking in a ABS fashion [meaning that the application of the brakes is done by the ECU without Lockup] to ANY wheel and reduces engine throttle in a situation where misdirection is interpreted by the ECU. Correct the direction of the vehicle. Vehicle Dynamic Control - VDC.
This is my understanding too.

Old 05-11-2009, 03:44 AM
This isn't true. My 04 6mt sedan used to be able to do burnouts at the track no problem while depressing the brake to hold the car in the box. I never got any blinking lights or problems of any kind. 4-5000rpm burnouts were not an issue.
6MT's are different. I should have mentioned that I'm talking about the 5AT.

I thought that VDC applies braking in a ABS fashion [meaning that the application of the brakes is done by the ECU without Lockup] to ANY wheel and reduces engine throttle in a situation where misdirection is interpreted by the ECU. Correct the direction of the vehicle. Vehicle Dynamic Control - VDC. That what is designed to do. If you think about it, it would seem that the Traction Control system would disengage too. I'm going to test that out next rainfall.
VDC might apply brakes in an ABS fashion to prevent lockup but it does not control ABS. In other words, shutting off VDC does not shut off ABS. As I've said ABS is always ON.

EDIT: Here's some videos to show you that once VDC is off, there are no interruptions in any way. It's a 5AT GCC Spec G.

GCC spec 5AT G35 coupe (same system essentially)

Last edited by Q8y_drifter; 05-11-2009 at 03:49 AM.
Old 05-20-2009, 10:03 PM
Looks like fun, I wish I had traffic circles where I live.

Old 05-20-2009, 10:09 PM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
it is, im not that good, yet.

Old 05-21-2009, 01:11 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by tg1234
Did anybody send an email yet to KPtechnology? They should be able to make one. Maybe another one for the AWD off too. LOL
I don't think KPtechnology would ever manufacture this mod. It presents a danger to the drivers and others if the car were to get into an accident from usingthis mod. People would sue KPT into bankruptcy!

Old 05-21-2009, 01:50 PM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by tonke73
I don't think KPtechnology would ever manufacture this mod. It presents a danger to the drivers and others if the car were to get into an accident from usingthis mod. People would sue KPT into bankruptcy!
ya they would get sued,

altho its easy to disable it, its just an electric clutch, you will get pissed off dash lights tho

Old 05-21-2009, 07:46 PM
how often you go through tires?

Old 05-22-2009, 09:19 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I was wrong. Looks like KPtechnologies has a module that remembers the last state of your traction control and recalls it up starting up your car.

http://www.kptechnologies.com/products.php#/4

Old 05-22-2009, 05:00 PM
Originally Posted by tonke73
I was wrong. Looks like KPtechnologies has a module that remembers the last state of your traction control and recalls it up starting up your car.

http://www.kptechnologies.com/products.php#/4
Yeah that module has been around for a while, however VDC still seems to control the car when both brakes and throttle are applied in a burnout situation even when it's off.

Old 05-22-2009, 08:25 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Oh boy. Can we go back to the topic please!?!?!

Old 05-22-2009, 08:28 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Does VDC really turn off? jk haha

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Does the VDC really turn off?