G35 Sedan V36 2007- 08 Discussion about the 2nd Generation G35 Sedan 2007 - 08

Does the VDC really turn off?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-22-2009, 08:29 PM
Received 85 Likes on 74 Posts
Old 01-19-2011, 04:27 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ok, so even though I have VDC off, I still get the SLIP light when I get sideways, but from what I understand, this just means that the sensors are reading different speeds. Therefore SLIP does NOT doing anything to compensate; it simply flashes the SLIP light and that is all.

Am I correct in my statement?

Originally Posted by Q8y_drifter
I think we need to get a few things straight here.

VDC (Vehicle Dynamic Control) is simply a Traction Control device which cuts throttle and applies rear brakes to prevent the rear wheels from spinning and thus prevents you from sliding and eventually crashing. If you shut it off (VDC light comes ON) you are simply shutting off Traction Control (since that all that VDC controls). The device no longer interrupts the throttle or the brakes in any way. I have no clue why people say it still stays on even after shutting it off. If it really does, then something is wrong with your VDC.

Now, ABS on the other hand has NOTHING to do with VDC. VDC and ABS are two different systems and VDC does not control ABS. ABS is ALWAYS ON whether VDC is on or off.

If VDC is OFF (Light on dash comes ON), then you should be able to drift, donut, etc without any problems. The ONLY thing that VDC will still control is when the brakes and throttle are both pressed (when you try to burnout). VDC will limit engine RPM and thus you won't go anywhere. It's made that way so you don't mess up your tranny, diff and rear brakes.

Old 01-19-2011, 04:44 PM
Received 41 Likes on 26 Posts
Originally Posted by otranscendental
Ok, so even though I have VDC off, I still get the SLIP light when I get sideways, but from what I understand, this just means that the sensors are reading different speeds. Therefore SLIP does NOT doing anything to compensate; it simply flashes the SLIP light and that is all.

Am I correct in my statement?
That is partially true. The SLIP light you see is the ABLS, which is a Bosch module (essentially a yaw sensor) that will partially control the car when you slide even if the VDC is OFF. It is located in the center console between the cup holders and gear stick . You will be able to slide, drift, do donuts, etc. however, at higher speeds and greater "angles" the ABLS will kick in (hence the flashing SLIP lights even when VDC is OFF) to slightly slow the car down and control it's motion. When this happens you should also be able to hear and feel a vibration from the front as the ABLS kicks in. It kinda feels like ABS but it's not actually the ABS.

You can disengage this system by unplugging the harness on the Bosch module, I believe doing so will allow to car to drift at any speed without any intervention from any of the systems in the car. It will also allow you to brake while you drift as well as press the throttle and brake at the same time (standing burnout for the drag strip). Do so at your own risk, I won't be held responsible for any damage that may be caused

EDIT: you can read more about it here
http://apps.bosch.com.au/motorsport/...rs_yawrate.pdf

Same module but on the V35

Last edited by Q8y_drifter; 01-19-2011 at 04:52 PM.
Old 01-19-2011, 09:47 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
wait....did someone say they did donuts with the x? how?

Old 01-26-2011, 12:33 AM
... sideways?

Ok... Let me start my post off on this topic by saying I have learned and progressed beyond my significant event last year involving VDC. For any that remember my post on this you'll know what I'm talking about.

that said.... on dry pavement with VDC off and in DS, I cannot break my wheels loose - even at full throttle.
I've had much fun learning the car in the snows we have had over the past month though (including donuts and drifting in large parking lots- I cant help myself) I've also found the car easier to control or 'read' at low speeds in the snow <40mph with VDC off and in DS.

Old 04-22-2011, 09:14 PM
first off. vdc works by comparing the speed of the front wheels to the back. not left wheel to the right.!!! if left to right was the case we would NOT be able to turn since the inside wheel always spins slower than the outside wheel in a turn. ABS compares all wheels to each other, left to right, front to rear, what ever. second even with vdc of you cant do a stand still burnout because the vehicle wont let you apply the accelerator and brake at the same time. just wanted to share this. this is for the automatic equipped vehicles.

Old 04-23-2011, 06:57 PM
Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts
Originally Posted by VQmagic
Ok... Let me start my post off on this topic by saying I have learned and progressed beyond my significant event last year involving VDC. For any that remember my post on this you'll know what I'm talking about.

that said.... on dry pavement with VDC off and in DS, I cannot break my wheels loose - even at full throttle.
I've had much fun learning the car in the snows we have had over the past month though (including donuts and drifting in large parking lots- I cant help myself) I've also found the car easier to control or 'read' at low speeds in the snow <40mph with VDC off and in DS.
Exactly right!!!!!!