G35 Sedan V36 2007- 08 Discussion about the 2nd Generation G35 Sedan 2007 - 08

No respect for the G37S sedan from Car and Driver

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-30-2009, 11:30 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I think if they had kept the 330I they would not sell as many 335I's. Considering the 335I is more expensive to buy and maintain and like all turbo cars will have more issues down the road. They needed to widen the performance gap.

I really, really like the overall feeling of the 328I better than the 335I. But I needed more of a HP increase when I went from my old 02 WRX Wagon. The 328I was not a quick off the line. The 08 Xs is just as quick off the line and just accelerates better from high speed on the HWY compared to my WRX wagon.

But If was driving on a short track everyday like in "Top Gear" I would of bought a 328I.
http://www.topgear.com/us/blog/more/...tg-test-track/

Old 05-30-2009, 02:10 PM
BMW please up the horses on the lesser 3 series to 250+

Ok, after reading this thread which to me is retarded as there is no way you can compare a G37 to the sorry excuse of a sports car, the 328i, I have only one thing to add.

BMW please bring back the 330i.

Why, this way, I only have to deal with people who bought their G cos they love everything about the car, and not just the horses. In any case, it looks like thats what BMW will be doing in the new configuration, considering the X1 and lesser Z4 will have the same engine with 250+ horses.

When this happens, I am not going to miss the 3 series lovers on this thread.

In fact, I have been smoking 330i since I got the G35X so nothing will change there and I can assure I will not miss the sweet smooth inline 6. You guys can hang on to that.

Another wish I have is for the G to be priced higher, that way those with the hots for the 3 series can naturally transition to the 328i (with 250+ horses) cos of the sweet inline 6, I will naturally transition to the G37. Guys dont buy cars because of extra horses and have buyers remorse every time you see the sweet inline 6 in the 328i, just get the 328i/330i and watch us drive by with more toys than you can ever dream of, among other things that you are all aware of.

Anyways, just buy the 328i, and go to the 3 series forums and praise yourselves silly. I will even allow you 2 cars head start.

Last edited by 306HP; 05-30-2009 at 02:14 PM.
Old 05-30-2009, 04:11 PM
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by 306HP
Ok, after reading this thread which to me is retarded as there is no way you can compare a G37 to the sorry excuse of a sports car, the 328i, I have only one thing to add.

Why, this way, I only have to deal with people who bought their G cos they love everything about the car, and not just the horses. In any case, it looks like thats what BMW will be doing in the new configuration, considering the X1 and lesser Z4 will have the same engine with 250+ horses.

In fact, I have been smoking 330i since I got the G35X so nothing will change there and I can assure I will not miss the sweet smooth inline 6. You guys can hang on to that.

Another wish I have is for the G to be priced higher, that way those with the hots for the 3 series can naturally transition to the 328i (with 250+ horses) cos of the sweet inline 6, I will naturally transition to the G37. Guys dont buy cars because of extra horses and have buyers remorse every time you see the sweet inline 6 in the 328i, just get the 328i/330i and watch us drive by with more toys than you can ever dream of, among other things that you are all aware of.

Anyways, just buy the 328i, and go to the 3 series forums and praise yourselves silly. I will even allow you 2 cars head start.
ROFLMBO!!! Well written!!!

Old 05-31-2009, 01:20 AM

Well put -- sell the G', take the financial hit, and get the BMW you wanted, could afford, and sooo deserve, LOL! It's the ultimate driving machine.

I know I don't mind manual seats, no navi, no sunroof, 16" rims, and paying $5k more, what the heck was I thinkin' buyin' all those G's??

Old 05-31-2009, 01:27 AM
I'm gonna have to disagree with everyone saying the 328i is too weak for a "base" engine. That's exactly what it is, a "base" engine. If there was no G37 with 328 BASE horsepower the 328i would be right on point. Audi A4 base is 200hp. Lexus IS250 base has 200hp. Mercedes C-Class base has 228 hp. The NEW CTS base is 263 hp and the NEW acura base has 280 hp. So the base 3-series is right in there competitively with 230 hp, and a LOT less weight than the two cars that have more horsepower. The 328i (0-60 in about 6 flat) is actually quite fast and there's absolutely no reason for it to have any more power. If it did it would eat into a lot of the 335i sales. It's just too close in horsepower to have so many different options, it doesn't make sense, there needs to a good reason for the consumer to want to upgrade to the next engine.

However Nissan/Infiniti has gotten something right I feel. They've produced a GREAT engine, and they put it in a lot of their cars which reduces their costs by a ton and gives consumers a big reason to buy over a competitor (128 reasons in the case of the Audi or Lexus)

Old 05-31-2009, 02:09 AM
This is the G35/G37 forum, you're going to find plenty of power hungry drivers.
Reality is, most drivers are content with the amount of power their cars have. I'm sure most 328i buyers don't care that their cars have 100 less HP than a G37. Think about it, they're buying a car with little rear legroom, fake leather seats (most 328i's), and a hideous dash board (ALL 328is HA HA HA HA). They're sacraficing alot to get the name. With that said, I dont see how a 328i can possibly beat a G37 in a comparison. 335i, I wouldn't object. Hrrmm.........maybe it's the luxurious Leatherette seats?

Old 05-31-2009, 09:29 AM
Originally Posted by popcornten
They've produced a GREAT engine, and they put it in a lot of their cars which reduces their costs by a ton and gives consumers a big reason to buy over a competitor
Its not just the engine which gives us a reason to get the G over the 335i. (Please note I am using 335i as an example because again, its retarded to expect me as a G35 owner to compare it to a 328i, on many levels).

Its the styling, its the soft perforated seats, its the reliability, its the interior ambience, its the .........

Which is why I will reiterate that if its only the engine that drives one to get the G, then you are driving the wrong car and will always have buyers remorse for the "sweet inline 6". Like PeterUbers said to those with the hots for the 3 series, sell the G and buy your real sweetheart. I can assure you, the decision to buy a G is one I will make over and over again, and even knowing the result from CD, I am already on the G37 sedan forum as "328hp" and come H1 2010, you will find me posting about my "sweetheart"

Last edited by 306HP; 05-31-2009 at 09:40 AM.
Old 05-31-2009, 09:49 PM
Its not just the engine which gives us a reason to get the G over the 335i. (Please note I am using 335i as an example because again, its retarded to expect me as a G35 owner to compare it to a 328i, on many levels).

Its the styling, its the soft perforated seats, its the reliability, its the interior ambience, its the .........

Which is why I will reiterate that if its only the engine that drives one to get the G, then you are driving the wrong car and will always have buyers remorse for the "sweet inline 6". Like PeterUbers said to those with the hots for the 3 series, sell the G and buy your real sweetheart. I can assure you, the decision to buy a G is one I will make over and over again, and even knowing the result from CD, I am already on the G37 sedan forum as "328hp" and come H1 2010, you will find me posting about my "sweetheart"
Oh I completely agree with you, I have no hots for the 3 series (unless we're talking m3 ).

I was merely commenting about engines in the G, 3 and all it's competitors.

Old 05-31-2009, 11:09 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Why does C&D keep comparing 6 speed cars? Wouldn't testing a G37 7 speed against a 328 6 speed auto produce a different result? In my opinion, they might be double-counting the whole 'smoothness' thing, just because of the tranny. I drive a 5AT, but I've read that, especially at a stoplight, the shifter just buzzes away until you put in the clutch. There were only 2 points between the cars, with a point each for engine and transmission.

Old 05-31-2009, 11:18 PM
Originally Posted by neal.a.nelson
Why does C&D keep comparing 6 speed cars? Wouldn't testing a G37 7 speed against a 328 6 speed auto produce a different result? In my opinion, they might be double-counting the whole 'smoothness' thing, just because of the tranny. I drive a 5AT, but I've read that, especially at a stoplight, the shifter just buzzes away until you put in the clutch. There were only 2 points between the cars, with a point each for engine and transmission.
Edmunds InsideLine agrees with you. They loved the G35S but said they'd have gone with the 5AT if it was up to them.

Old 06-01-2009, 01:01 PM
Originally Posted by neal.a.nelson
If I were you I would not get hung up on the point system CD uses, its just a collection of their own thoughts and their own opinions and means nothing in the grand scheme of things. I created a thread here

https://g35driver.com/forums/other-c...-new-post.html

On the thread I am just trying to see what other people think, but on this thread I would like to put forward my own opinion. As you can see from the articles above opinions can differ materially btwn different authors faced with the same information. The important thing is ones ability to make the right judgement. I think it is a well known fact that CD loves BMW, there is nothing wrong with that. The question then becomes, how much does this love cloud their judgement, if you read MT and Edmunds comments on the 7 series, you will realize that there is a lot CD chose to ignore and to me at least, it appears their judgement is severly impaired, not just on BMW, but most likely in many of their articles.

I use these magazines for objective stuff like 0-60 numbers etc, everything else is just the opinion of the guy writing the article, which is no better than your opinion or my opinion. In fact you could be more intelligent than myself or the guy behind the article in any of these magazines.

I dont think any G driver should think twice about CDs opinion in the G, 3, A4 & TL article, nobody needs to tell you anything that you do not already know. In my opinion, the article was biased at best or retarded at worst, and yes, sometimes retards write articles for magazines.

Old 06-01-2009, 01:17 PM
Originally Posted by gugarci
Not in the North East. If you want RWD and excitement you can only find it in the the BMW dealerships. Most Infiniti dealers do not stock RWD in the North East and to obtain one you pay a premium. I should know I'm in the process of trying to obtain one myself.

I love the 328I. Before I bought my 08Xs I test drove a 335I & a 328I both 6 speeds with manual gearboxes and sport packages. And while the 335I was clearly faster I'd preferred the over all driving experience and balanced of the 328I better. If the 328I had a least 250HP's I would of bought one.
Why not just take a road trip and get a G35 coupe down in the southeast? The dealership up in the Northeast will still service it. I got my 07 Coupe with 34K and a 100K CPO warranty for $23,000 2 months ago in Huntersville, NC. G35s are a dime a dozen down here and you can get them used for pretty darn cheap. I guess this also explains why when I am in Albany, NY visiting family, I NEVER see a G35 on the road!

Old 06-01-2009, 04:41 PM
Cool

Originally Posted by miltoda
I just read this article on caranddriver.com
http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/...omparison_test

Seems the G37 did every better than a 328i, TL, and a4 except the reviewers picked the bmw in the comparison just because it was bmw. Anyone else noticed a trend of biased reviews from car and driver?

I don't see how anyone would pick a car that has fake leather, no nav, a small engine, and small brakes over the Infiniti for the same money.
Just another example of the BMW bias that has become the hallmark of Car & Driver. In my view the Infiniti clearly won (they even so much as admitted that they picked the Bimmer because they "we think BMW has a special way with sports sedans."). You could stick a BMW badge on a Radio Flyer Wagon, and these guys would find an excuse to rank it #1!

The actual review of the Infiniti G37 was fair, but it's almost like none of the facts really mattered once they came to the Bimmer. This is exactly why I cancelled my subscription. If I want an objective opinion, I will look at the other car magazines.

As for me, I would take the G35S/G37S any day over the 328i or even the 335i. I am just not convinced that the price differential (especially for a fully loaded 335i) is justified. When you compare standard equipment, available options, price and overall reliability it is clear the Infiniti is the true champion here!

Just my 2-cents worth.

Regards,

Old 06-01-2009, 05:32 PM
OMG! i had too much regret this morning over not driving and buying the 328... i NEVER should have read that C&D article... dammit, this ALWAYS happens to me. Even when i DID buy the BMW in the past, I regretted not buying two of them -- why just one??? what was i thinking?

Old 06-01-2009, 06:20 PM
Originally Posted by PeterUbers
OMG! i had too much regret this morning over not driving and buying the 328... i NEVER should have read that C&D article... dammit, this ALWAYS happens to me. Even when i DID buy the BMW in the past, I regretted not buying two of them -- why just one??? what was i thinking?
why? the 328 is a pathetic, boring, soft, horrible excuse for a sport sedan. I couldn't wait to get out--except i had to wait because it was so slow that I couldn't get it parked quickly enough.

the interior is an abortion. it's a well-assembled abortion, but that still leaves it an abortion. the click wheel interface would be fine if it worked consistently--which it doesn't. using the long skinny pedal lets out the most uninspired wheeeeeeeeze i've ever heard. this car rivals sneakers for quick transport. I enjoy my wife's is350 far more (not just in straight lines, boys) than the 328 sport, and i really don't enjoy driving that car.

compare the G to the 335. i'd be satisfied with it losing to a 335 because that matchup is much more reasonable. the 335 is ~10k over the mark compared to the G fully loaded, but that figure didn't stop them from testing a loaded a4, now did it?

c&d are the biggest bunch of bmw apologists i've ever seen.

oh, and screw testing autos. come on, people, grow a pair. sure the 7spd is great and all, but it's hardly a sequential box. I know you all seem to be automatic fanatics, but it's just unbecoming of a sport sedan to test in auto trim. I'm convinced i'll get 3 pages of "omg shut up the auto is teh win!". save it. this test wasn't to see who can rock the blvd most consistently at 3mph. there was a long distance cruise portion, but the testing was performance-centric for the most part.

just because an auto can do this, doesn't mean it is necessarily better-suited to this testing.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: No respect for the G37S sedan from Car and Driver