G35 Sedan V36 2007- 08 Discussion about the 2nd Generation G35 Sedan 2007 - 08

No respect for the G37S sedan from Car and Driver

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-13-2009, 01:14 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm also subscirbed to C&D (or as some call them - BMW & Driver), and found this article annoying at best. If you look at C&D's numbers though, you'll notice that they have 2 completely subjective categories that are each worth 20 points - 'fun to drive', and 'gotta have it factor'. This is where the 328i won. It would have lost badly without this. It's also by the way where the BMW's win in every one of the comparos mentioned above - like the Porsche 911 vs. M3, the GTR vs. M3, etc.

Having come from an '06 (E90) 330i to an '07 G35x, I can tell you that yes, the BMW is a little smoother, and perhaps handles a tiny bit better at the very, very limits of adhesion, but otherwise, the G is far nicer to drive, not just because of it's performance, but also because of the features it has for the money, it's steering at high speeds, which while less linear than the BMW's, is tighter at high speeds and feels nicer to drive, and it's fantastic auto gearbox that to me is one of the G's biggest strengths. I've driven a 335i, and found that it was nice, but I didn't prefer it to the G even if all the features were the same at the same price.

Also, the main reason I traded in my 330i was reliability. I had so many serious issues with it in my first year, and VOB BMW in Rockville MD took so long in each case to schedule an appointment for me (average wait time for 3 to 4 weeks - even with issues like rear bearings giving in at 8k miles), that I just gave up out of frustration. They also gave Enterprise loaners - didn't reserve them for you, so I had one occasion where I showed up for an appointment that had been on the books for 3 weeks, and they didn't have a car for me. I had to call around to rental car companies in the area desperately looking for a car so I could get to work.

Once I made the decision to move from the BMW, I test drove the G, and was convinced immediately. I haven't looked back since. People test driving cars don't live with them for long. Even their long term tests still involve many different people driving each car until it gets to 40k miles, not one person. They don't take into account things like inconsistency of dealerships service quality (like BMW has), and issues like that. By the way, I've never had to wait more than 2 days to schedule my Infiniti, I've always gotten an Infiniti G loaner, and basically have gotten customer service that while not perfect, is far superior than VOB BMW's by pretty much any measure (at two separate Infiniti dealers).

Cheers
T1328

Old 09-13-2009, 03:18 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by marki24
Ok never mind if found it on C&D website. Thats actually funny cause I have a g35xs and i beat the 328i (2008 or 2009)coupe by half a car.
328i = POS if u only beat a 328i with a g35x by half a car ur a bad driver i put up to 4-5 cars on a 328 don't forget a g35 can keep up with 335i very easlyy.

Old 09-13-2009, 03:31 AM
Received 80 Likes on 65 Posts
Honda Accord
Originally Posted by mw08G35S
I would expect the g is going to have an IS250 version of itself pretty soon.
I would love to have a G25.

http://jp106609559.trustpass.alibaba...PE_V_2007.html

Old 09-13-2009, 06:21 AM
Received 995 Likes on 727 Posts
Didnt they compare the M3 vs the GT-R and end up picking the M3

Old 09-14-2009, 12:36 AM
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by t1328
I'm also subscirbed to C&D (or as some call them - BMW & Driver), and found this article annoying at best. If you look at C&D's numbers though, you'll notice that they have 2 completely subjective categories that are each worth 20 points - 'fun to drive', and 'gotta have it factor'. This is where the 328i won. It would have lost badly without this. It's also by the way where the BMW's win in every one of the comparos mentioned above - like the Porsche 911 vs. M3, the GTR vs. M3, etc.

Having come from an '06 (E90) 330i to an '07 G35x, I can tell you that yes, the BMW is a little smoother, and perhaps handles a tiny bit better at the very, very limits of adhesion, but otherwise, the G is far nicer to drive, not just because of it's performance, but also because of the features it has for the money, it's steering at high speeds, which while less linear than the BMW's, is tighter at high speeds and feels nicer to drive, and it's fantastic auto gearbox that to me is one of the G's biggest strengths. I've driven a 335i, and found that it was nice, but I didn't prefer it to the G even if all the features were the same at the same price.

Also, the main reason I traded in my 330i was reliability. I had so many serious issues with it in my first year, and VOB BMW in Rockville MD took so long in each case to schedule an appointment for me (average wait time for 3 to 4 weeks - even with issues like rear bearings giving in at 8k miles), that I just gave up out of frustration. They also gave Enterprise loaners - didn't reserve them for you, so I had one occasion where I showed up for an appointment that had been on the books for 3 weeks, and they didn't have a car for me. I had to call around to rental car companies in the area desperately looking for a car so I could get to work.

Once I made the decision to move from the BMW, I test drove the G, and was convinced immediately. I haven't looked back since. People test driving cars don't live with them for long. Even their long term tests still involve many different people driving each car until it gets to 40k miles, not one person. They don't take into account things like inconsistency of dealerships service quality (like BMW has), and issues like that. By the way, I've never had to wait more than 2 days to schedule my Infiniti, I've always gotten an Infiniti G loaner, and basically have gotten customer service that while not perfect, is far superior than VOB BMW's by pretty much any measure (at two separate Infiniti dealers).

Cheers
T1328
Off topic but I went to VOB when I was testing candidates before deciding on the G and agree with you. They had some pitiful sales service, I ended up walking out before even getting a test drive. Went to Ellicot City BMW and they spent an hour trying to convince me that I would be happier with an automatic vs manual because thats all they had on their lot to sell me, um no, it doesnt work that way. Just like you said infiniti has always been good about appointments 1 to 2 days away.

You're also right about the features/ price. A 3 can get get close to 50K! Down at the 30's you might be able to get some seat heaters.