No respect for the G37S sedan from Car and Driver

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-29-2009, 03:35 PM
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
No respect for the G37S sedan from Car and Driver

I just read this article on caranddriver.com
http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/...omparison_test

Seems the G37 did every better than a 328i, TL, and a4 except the reviewers picked the bmw in the comparison just because it was bmw. Anyone else noticed a trend of biased reviews from car and driver?

I don't see how anyone would pick a car that has fake leather, no nav, a small engine, and small brakes over the Infiniti for the same money.

Last edited by miltoda; 05-30-2009 at 12:27 AM.
Old 05-29-2009, 03:40 PM
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
thats because C&D swings from BMW's nuts. They could compare the 3 series to everything and anything and it still would win.

Old 05-29-2009, 05:05 PM
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
They do gravitate towards BMW's a lot, and they admit it too. I thought they were pretty fair on that test though, and it speaks well of the G35.

It's sort of like comparing the Genesis to the G37. Fairly decent price difference and the performance of the Hyundai is admittedly pretty good. Many of us will think the price difference is justified even if the Hyundai were to outgun the G37.

One thing I dont get, why the hell is the TL so slow for all that HP??

Old 05-29-2009, 05:06 PM
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by G force
They do gravitate towards BMW's a lot, and they admit it too. I thought they were pretty fair on that test though, and it speaks well of the G35.

It's sort of like comparing the Genesis to the G37. Fairly decent price difference and the performance of the Hyundai is admittedly pretty good. Many of us will think the price difference is justified even if the Hyundai outguns the G37.

One thing I dont get, why the hell is the TL so slow for all that HP??
The TL is a 4000lb tank.

Old 05-29-2009, 05:40 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C&D is def biased more towards BMW, but the beemer is very refined and smooth, which to some people is the selling point. IMO I thought the test was fare. Oh and there are soo many things weird about the TL, identity crisis anyone?

Old 05-29-2009, 06:59 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by RADIOGUY21
The TL is a 4000lb tank.
damn....probably eats up gas like nothing.

Old 05-29-2009, 07:10 PM
The link doesn't work for me.

Old 05-29-2009, 07:16 PM
Ok never mind if found it on C&D website. Thats actually funny cause I have a g35xs and i beat the 328i (2008 or 2009)coupe by half a car.

Old 05-29-2009, 08:24 PM
C&D is more biased these days to BMWs. This article is proof. I remember reading this article and questioning whether I should cancel my subscription. It just did not make sense to me.
I actually test drove a 08 330i and it was smooth...silky smooth. Especially the clutch and tranny.
But then I asked myself, "do I really want to spend this kind of money on a brand and vehicle that has been plaqued by long term relibility issues?" E36 and E46 BMWs are now selling for "nothing" since they are out of warranty.
Then I asked myself - "do I want to spend that kind of money on a car that doesn't come with a limited slip standard OR even as an option? And pleather seats? " FAIL!

By the way, the Audi's interior was so sexy until I saw the seats! I think my office chair has more support and syle than those seats. FAIL!

If you want rwd and lots of fun driving, stick with the G. Nothing compares except maybe the Benz C Class and I Mercedes and Audi are just like BMW - money pits.

Granted I would never buy a new car but if I did, I'd still buy the G

Last edited by buckwilly; 05-29-2009 at 08:28 PM.
Old 05-29-2009, 09:45 PM
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by buckwilly
C&D is more biased these days to BMWs. This article is proof. I remember reading this article and questioning whether I should cancel my subscription. It just did not make sense to me.
I actually test drove a 08 330i and it was smooth...silky smooth. Especially the clutch and tranny.
But then I asked myself, "do I really want to spend this kind of money on a brand and vehicle that has been plaqued by long term relibility issues?" E36 and E46 BMWs are now selling for "nothing" since they are out of warranty.
Then I asked myself - "do I want to spend that kind of money on a car that doesn't come with a limited slip standard OR even as an option? And pleather seats? " FAIL!

By the way, the Audi's interior was so sexy until I saw the seats! I think my office chair has more support and syle than those seats. FAIL!

If you want rwd and lots of fun driving, stick with the G. Nothing compares except maybe the Benz C Class and I Mercedes and Audi are just like BMW - money pits.

Granted I would never buy a new car but if I did, I'd still buy the G
Is the Mercedes C in the G class? How does it compare 0-60? I see so many around my streets and it looks so dang good!

Old 05-30-2009, 01:42 AM
i think if our G's engine was silky smooth it would win hand down everytime. my 200sx se-r has inline 4 its silky smooth i luv pushing it all the time but the G gets really rough at high rpms and sometimes its gets annoying. I luv driving the G and pushing it but on turns or rough pavement it does not induce confidence. It feels like "muscle car".

P.S. I luv the torque in first second and third gear though.

Old 05-30-2009, 02:39 AM
repost - but yes the general consensus is that C/D is all over BMWs dingaling.

No matter what BMW will be the benchmark for anything. Although their last gen cars were excellent, the recent era cars aren't lightyears ahead of their competitors anymore.

Even Edmunds InsideLine which is a pretty fair, unbiased source has FOUR bemers in their long-term garage. They just got rid of their '07 G35S and absolutely loved it except for the clutch issues in the '07

Old 05-30-2009, 08:18 AM
Originally Posted by marki24
Ok never mind if found it on C&D website. Thats actually funny cause I have a g35xs and i beat the 328i (2008 or 2009)coupe by half a car.
In a straight line only. On a track the 328I handles better and has much better brakes. And let's not forget that sweet manual gearbox.

Old 05-30-2009, 08:28 AM
Originally Posted by buckwilly
If you want rwd and lots of fun driving, stick with the G.
Not in the North East. If you want RWD and excitement you can only find it in the the BMW dealerships. Most Infiniti dealers do not stock RWD in the North East and to obtain one you pay a premium. I should know I'm in the process of trying to obtain one myself.

I love the 328I. Before I bought my 08Xs I test drove a 335I & a 328I both 6 speeds with manual gearboxes and sport packages. And while the 335I was clearly faster I'd preferred the over all driving experience and balanced of the 328I better. If the 328I had a least 250HP's I would of bought one.

Old 05-30-2009, 08:41 AM
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by gugarci
Not in the North East. If you want RWD and excitement you can only find it in the the BMW dealerships. Most Infiniti dealers do not stock RWD in the North East and to obtain one you pay a premium. I should know I'm in the process of trying to obtain one myself.

I love the 328I. Before I bought my 08Xs I test drove a 335I & a 328I both 6 speeds with manual gearboxes and sport packages. And while the 335I was clearly faster I'd preferred the over all driving experience and balanced of the 328I better. If the 328I had a least 250HP's I would of bought one.
I agree. I think they messed up with their two engine choices. The 328 is not enough, and then there is a huge gap and you have the 335 which carries a big price premium. They need something in the middle, something like the old 330i. Lexus has the same approach, wimpy IS250 and then the IS350 which is great and all, but leaves a huge gap HP and price wise. Both cases would be better if their lower grade engine were just a little more ballsy.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: No respect for the G37S sedan from Car and Driver