G35 Sedan V36 2007- 08 Discussion about the 2nd Generation G35 Sedan 2007 - 08

Clutch recommendations for max life

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-22-2009, 03:59 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Clutch recommendations for max life

Hi,
I have a 2007 G35 6MT with 28k miles. The dealer will be replacing the transmission on it under warranty. I was wondering if it is a good idea to get them to change the clutch (on my cost for parts) while they replace the transmission. My wife also drives the G sometimes and she has burnt the clutch a lot of those times. Hence, I figure I will get about 40k with my current clutch. What do you guys think?

Additionally, any non OEM clutch that you recommend? I am not looking for a JWT or a really high performance one(not with my wife driving the car as well ). Hopefully, something which will last longer than the OEM clutches.

Thanks a lot.

Old 07-22-2009, 10:44 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I don't think the dealer will change with aftermarket parts... What happen to your transmission for it to be replaced under warranty?

Old 07-22-2009, 12:39 PM
Received 184 Likes on 159 Posts
If all you have to pay is for the clutch itself and not pay extra for the install since they will be putting in a new tranny anyways and they have to put in the clutch into the new tranny anyways, i say DO IT NOW!!! or you will regret it later....

As you do not know what bad a shape your clutch is in due to the "burning" you could ask them to inspect it for you or you can have a look at it but i think its a good idea to change it out as with 28k you both have learned to drive the G now and probably drive better than before which would make less stress and longer life for the new clutch. However i would recommend buying the clutch yourself from a third party(maybe rick@riverside) and taking it to the dealer so they can not jack up the prices and make any money off of you. As for clutch like im at over 38k and my clutch feels as good as new which included exactly two "burning" thanks to my brother trying to learn on it

As for aftermarket there are only a couple available(JWt Exedy etc) and are considered high performance so will be stronger but make driving in traffic a but more difficult so if your wife drives i would stay with oem and as james said im sure the dealer wont put in an aftermarket part on a tranny they are replacing under warranty.

Last edited by kool_yaar; 07-22-2009 at 12:43 PM.
Old 07-23-2009, 01:59 AM
i need a new clutch at 42,500....i got the car with 36,000 on it do u think its even possible to burn the clutch at 8,000 miles??? i mean i did learn to drive on it but i wasnt that horrible and have only smeeled burning 4 times at the most anyway sorry to thread jack but since its already here can u guys give me some links on after market clutches cuz im getting confused on which is for coupe and which is for sedan and which is for the z...

Old 07-23-2009, 09:23 AM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
yep, have 'em do it while they have the tranny out.

fwiw, i would also consider having the flywheel resurfaced. burnt clutch material on flywheel is like hot brakes on rotors. it can make engagement feel sticky and lead to chatter.

new clutch assemblies i've bought in the past for other vehicles are usually between 150 and 250 for parts. double that for labor, so you would be saving the labor portion if you provide the parts. never priced the actual OEM parts for our cars. may be higher as everything else seems to be.

yeah, why are you getting a new tranny?

amp

Old 07-23-2009, 10:47 AM
Firozu: its possible that the previous driver abused the clutch as well before you bought it, as is the OEM clutches are pretty good and stout and some older gen G's(member here) have lasted 100k+ and still going with good driving and minimal havoc driving.

SO it all depends on how the car has been driven in totality and not just the 8k that you drove.

Old 07-24-2009, 02:10 AM
thanx kool, and yah id also like to know the reason for this tranny replacement...

Last edited by firozu; 07-24-2009 at 02:15 AM.
Old 07-24-2009, 03:05 AM
Reason for the tranny replacement: I found a resistance and almost a jerk when I was shifting gears (especially when I shifted from 1st to 2nd or 2nd to 3rd). The mechanic at the dealership finally (after multiple visits) felt this when he drove the car and said they would look into it. Final diagnosis, tranny replacement.

When they are replacing the tranny, will the mechanic be able to give a reasonable estimate of how long the clutch may last. I can try and pop in to take a look at the clutch. What should I be looking at to make a judgement on how much more life may be in the clutch?

Old 07-24-2009, 11:02 AM
The tech can tell you wat the condition of the clutch is now and a VERY rough ESTIMATE of how long it might last as that is all dependent on how you drive, if you really want you could burn the clutch out in less than a day with some "spirited" driving habits and stunts.

Look at the clutch for glazing, cracks and wear spots and the flywheel for glazing, hot spots and any left over clutch material.

At the end it's your decision...

Old 07-26-2009, 10:45 PM
man i've been having the same issue with the jerking and the infiniti service center is like ''its normal.'' i was like wtf. i have to shift like super slow from 1st to 2nd and then normally on the other gears.

sorry for the threadjacking.