G35 Sedan V36 2007- 08 Discussion about the 2nd Generation G35 Sedan 2007 - 08

Stealership story

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-23-2009, 10:34 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Stealership story

I got new tires about two weeks ago at my local Discount Tires store. In the process of installing the new tires one of my TPMS sensors broke. Discount said they would order me a new one and install it when it comes in. Today it came in and they installed it, no problem, except they can't reset the ECU to pair it up to the new sensor. They said just take it to the dealership to get the light turned off and bring them the bill. This is what I would expect customer service wise.

Since the dealership is less than a mile away from Discount, I stopped in. I thought if they could slip me in I'd wait on it, but I was pretty sure they wouldn't so I would just make an appointment.

The service adviser asks what's going on. I tell him and he gives me this puzzled look and says "You should have bought tires from me" "We have the best prices around". I kind of chuckled. I tell him that I wanted to try and slip in today, but I totally understood if they were booked up, and if this was the case I would like to make an appointment for a later date. He then tells me multiple times that they really work off appointments and I really should have made an appointment.

Before I left he also wanted me to do my "15,000 mile service". He didn't seem to want to believe me that I changed out my air filters all by myself.

I think I'll ask him how much new tires cost out the door when I get back. It's just a little hard for me to believe that they have good prices on tires. Actually the price of tires is one thing, but the ability to get them balanced or rotated in a few minutes like I can down the street is also a big deal to me.

Old 07-23-2009, 10:56 AM
Well my car had the Potenza set....They would have cost me about $1200....I'm not joking either. So I went with some Bridgestone F1 series tires....at least I think it's Bridgestone. (Haven't looked at my tires in a while =\ ) The dealership is pretty much on the dot with prices no joke. Same tires at the dealership cost about the same at the Discount Tire store by my house. I still got better tires for the same price!! =)))) Hope this helps or at least gives you some insight.

(My wheels are staggered and I got directional tires, I would have to replace them one by one. Can't do tire rotation, been about 11,000 miles and they look and feel brand new...)

Old 07-23-2009, 12:09 PM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
mayse infiniti of springfield missouri wants 280 apiece for michelins. same tire on tirerack.com for 175.

that doesn't include mounting and balancing.

they tell you this with a straight face like they are doing you a favor and somehow they have magic fairy dust on them because you are buying them from infiniti.

just had my mom's four new tires from tirerack for her subaru installed locally for....

wait for it....

yes, 30 bucks cash.

all four of 'em mounted and balanced. in and out in 30 minutes. i went next door and had lunch and a beer while i was waiting.

amp

Old 07-23-2009, 12:16 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
don't forget that Discount Tire matches any competitors prices.

Old 07-23-2009, 12:32 PM
Originally Posted by ampsucker
mayse infiniti of springfield missouri wants 280 apiece for michelins. same tire on tirerack.com for 175.

that doesn't include mounting and balancing.

they tell you this with a straight face like they are doing you a favor and somehow they have magic fairy dust on them because you are buying them from infiniti.

just had my mom's four new tires from tirerack for her subaru installed locally for....

wait for it....

yes, 30 bucks cash.

all four of 'em mounted and balanced. in and out in 30 minutes. i went next door and had lunch and a beer while i was waiting.

amp
I think it a combo of the fairy dust and the "expertise" they have with changing tires on infiniti's.

I know dealearships make most of their money from the shop, and yes I want the dealership to stay in business, but that doesn't excuse them from preying on people who don't know any better.

I really didnt know the dealership was that reasonable for tires, but even if they were the same price as discount, I would still go to discount. I have always been treated right there. Since my goodyears still had some tread on them, they even gave me some money for those.

Old 07-23-2009, 12:37 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Hey,

Forget that service adviser at Infiniti ! You came in with a specific problem and you told him what you wanted. I don't blame him for trying to sell you on the idea that he has a better deal, but you already bought tires and had them mounted. So, it's a moot point (STFU service adviser!)

As for his prices, maybe he can match or beat tire prices, but definately labor cost will be way more than Discount Tire. They don't call them "stealerships" for nothing.

I hate to be like this, but sometimes with people like that service adviser you kinda have to be demanding and tell them what you want up front. That way he stops all that bull sh#* and gets you what you want.

Old 07-23-2009, 01:36 PM
Received 55 Likes on 49 Posts
How is this a negative on the dealers part? You went in for an issue, without an appointment, and were turned away?

Ya, he tried to sell you on service, but that's part of their job to make $$, and to inform you of service intervals.

Old 07-23-2009, 02:15 PM
Originally Posted by E-Ticket Ride
How is this a negative on the dealers part? You went in for an issue, without an appointment, and were turned away?

Ya, he tried to sell you on service, but that's part of their job to make $$, and to inform you of service intervals.
Not at all mad that I got "turned away". Going in there I thought it was a longshot getting in the same day. This is why I told him up front "I dont have an appointment, it's not a big deal if I don't get in today, I completely understand". He acted like he didnt hear me say that and kept rubbing it in that I didn't have an appointment. Not really a big deal.

I guess the only thing that pissed me off was him making a big deal about me buying my tires from them.

Old 07-24-2009, 09:21 PM
Received 85 Likes on 74 Posts
Your service advisor was being a jerk. It takes all of 5-10 minutes to pair the sensors and they could do it where the car sits in the parking lot. The computer they use is a hand held unit... it's not like would be taking up a service bay or anything.
I hate the dealer LOL

Old 07-25-2009, 01:05 AM
When you make your appointment, be sure and reserve one of their loaner cars. I'm sure your time is as valuable as the dealership's. After all Infiniti is a premium brand and you deserve premium service.

Old 07-25-2009, 11:52 AM
Originally Posted by AesonVirus
Your service advisor was being a jerk. It takes all of 5-10 minutes to pair the sensors and they could do it where the car sits in the parking lot. The computer they use is a hand held unit... it's not like would be taking up a service bay or anything.
I hate the dealer LOL
I luckily got hooked up with a great service writer at my local dealership which I dont like( for other reasons). I just stopped by because my tpms light went on with no fault causing it. I asked the service writer ( which I never met before) if there would be a problem with warranty because I upgraded to g37 19"'s he said no and told me to hold on a minute. He came out with the computer and tried to reset them there on the spot. It turned out to be a bad sensor. He said he had to order the sensor and set up an app. for me with a car loaner car waiting. Unfotunatley its not the dealership, company policy, or corporate policy that makes a company good. Its the people they have working for them!

Old 07-29-2009, 06:26 AM
Originally Posted by kid4now
I luckily got hooked up with a great service writer at my local dealership which I dont like( for other reasons). I just stopped by because my tpms light went on with no fault causing it. I asked the service writer ( which I never met before) if there would be a problem with warranty because I upgraded to g37 19"'s he said no and told me to hold on a minute. He came out with the computer and tried to reset them there on the spot. It turned out to be a bad sensor. He said he had to order the sensor and set up an app. for me with a car loaner car waiting. Unfotunatley its not the dealership, company policy, or corporate policy that makes a company good. Its the people they have working for them!
Nope my guy sucked, seemed to have just got out of a class on how to make the uneducated car owner spend more. I went back the other day for my Appointment. First thing he did was try to hit me up for an Alignment. "You have a new pair of tires, you should get an alignment". "I have seen many people destroy a new pair of tires by not getting their car alignted." . I replied "no thanks, she drives straight as an arrow. He also basically implied I would get a loaner car if I did the $65 alignment but if I was just getting my tire sensor reset, and them trying to eliminate my squeaks, I would have to wait. No big deal, I waited.

They took it for a test drive, "couldn't hear the squeaks, no big deal either. I went home last night and poped of the trim around the shifter, greased it up and popped it back in. No more squeak.

I am just glad my car isnt in the shop a whole lot. My 2005 never went into the dealership from the day I bought it. My job in service myself, and I don't prey on people who dont know better. I can imagine the wife who takes her car in for something simple and returns home with $400 of "repairs". I remember growing up, that happened to my mom.