G35 Sedan V36 2007- 08 Discussion about the 2nd Generation G35 Sedan 2007 - 08

Gauge Cluster Fail!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-08-2009, 02:06 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Gauge Cluster Fail!

Hey guys,

I have a 2007 G35 S and I am just curious if anyone else has seen this? I haven't had any issues with my car up until now. I started my car this morning and the gauge cluster wasn't working. RPMs, temp, fuel etc won't move. Beyond that, the liquid cristal display won't show any actual data, it will scroll through MPH, MPH etc, but doesn't show a number.

The Brake, ABS, VDC OFF, SLIP and CRUSE light all stay illuminated. What makes this weirder is my engine was running (in the pic), when I try to turn it off, the gauge will just cycle off, and then click back on. I was able to turn off the engine by pressing down the start button a bunch. Any ideas?

I've called Inifiniti and they are sending a truck out to tow my car into the dealer. I just don't like where this is headed.

Attached Thumbnails Gauge Cluster Fail!-badgauges.jpg  
Old 10-08-2009, 02:57 PM
Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
Sounds like your Unified meter and A/C amp might be having a problem.. Ive been researching doing a conversion of this cluster into an 04 so I have the schematics fresh in my mind. With the problems you describe, the unit I mentioned provides all that functionality and information to the cluster that doesnt seem to be working for you.

Old 10-08-2009, 04:20 PM
Deftronix - thanks for the quick reply.

You mentioned the A/C amp. I had a 1000 watt amp installed professionally with my sub back in May. Do you think it could have been possible that it affected the gauge unit? From what you described, I am just worried that the electrical pull from my amp might have caused this - I want to be prepared for what the dealership throws my way once they get to the bottom of the issue.

Old 10-08-2009, 08:25 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Well if it was done at the proshop than don't worry. If it fail because of the amp than shop should take the bill. Make sure you get everything on paper from the dealer so you can prove it.

Old 10-08-2009, 09:22 PM
Those gauges are wonky.

I remember in my 04 350z, i was doing a stereo install, and forgot to hook up one ribbon cable to my climate control unit. Start the car, and NOTHING on the instrument cluster worked, and all warning lamps were triggered, same with the 3 AUXILIARY Gauges. Pretty damn similar to what you're getting now. needless to say, I freaked out at first.

Old 10-12-2009, 02:40 AM
My engine temperature gauge isnt working properly. Its been going up and down these two weeks now (below regular operating temperature). And yesterday i was doing 120 and it was showing me dead bottom lol. This scared the sh** out of me ubtil i figured out that it was the gauges problem. It started about 2 weeks ago ever since I started hearing a rattle coming from the cluster after about 4k rpm. Im going to the dealer on wendsday. And i dont have any electrical upgrade such as sterio or anything

Old 10-12-2009, 02:59 AM
Update: Dealer seems to have come to a similar conclusion that the unified meter failed. The dealer was pretty stumped about the issue since they haven't seen anything like it before. They have requested a replacement unit - the interesting thing is, since the unified meter contains the odometer information, they have to send it to a third party company to program the odometer.. fun fun - all said and done I am stuck with a loaner till Tuesday (hopefully.) I will post again when I have more info.

Old 10-12-2009, 05:04 PM
Sorry for checking back in so late. Your amp install wouldnt have had anything to do with it unless they for some reason hooked up the remote line for the amp upto the power that the cluster uses. Its definitely the unified meter amp.. If you happen to get a price on one of those please let me know, I need to order one. Good luck with the repair, should be covered under warranty.

Old 10-13-2009, 07:25 PM
Got my car back today and I believe everything is working. Looks like my seat memory was cleared, but that will be easy to correct. The issue in the end turned out to be the Unified Meter, and Infiniti said it simply burned out.

@Deftronix - I asked for the pricing on the unit (Unified Meter) and they told me the part cost $307.87, and the programming cost $107.54. Programming was necessary as the unified meter contains the odometer information and has to be programed by a third party company. The labor costs were somewhere around $900, so it doesn't look like an easy install. I am just happy that it was covered under warranty no questions asked.

I am glad that this is problem is fixed, lets just hope it says that way.

Old 10-15-2009, 11:40 AM
Thanks for getting that info for me, Im glad everything worked out! Much appreciated! Do you happen to know who the third party company was they sent it to for programming?

Old 10-27-2009, 12:41 AM
Originally Posted by Deftronix
Thanks for getting that info for me, Im glad everything worked out! Much appreciated! Do you happen to know who the third party company was they sent it to for programming?
Sorry for the late reply (just got back from a business trip.) I actually don't know the company that did the programming, all I know is that they are in New York. Thanks again for your help, and I am just happy to have a working car again.

Old 04-19-2015, 11:17 PM
Does anyone have a part number?