G35 Sedan V36 2007- 08 Discussion about the 2nd Generation G35 Sedan 2007 - 08

Is this legal ?!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-27-2009, 03:51 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Is this legal ?!

So .. i got a citation for no front plates and for everyone who's been through or done it themselves, i did a simple ziptie temporary license plate thing lol. Do you guys think this will go through when i go to get this signed off ? It might look a little off or lopsided but i can assure anyone it's very stable LOL.

Any input would be helpful

Old 10-27-2009, 04:45 AM
I do this with my sport bumper. Works like a charm and I haven't been hassled since I put it on.

It's "ghetto" but better than drilling your bumper or constantly getting fix it tickets.

Old 10-27-2009, 04:56 AM
Received 80 Likes on 65 Posts
Honda Accord
If the plate isn't properly bolted down to your bumper, authorities can cite you if they think it's "unsecure". This has been covered quite a few times in this forum in the past. So technically speaking, it's illegal, but I've seen few members using similar methods.

Old 10-27-2009, 05:03 AM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by B L U E S L A T E
If the plate isn't properly bolted down to your bumper, authorities can cite you if they think it's "unsecure". This has been covered quite a few times in this forum in the past. So technically speaking, it's illegal, but I've seen few members using similar methods.
Based on the zip ties used it is possible they are rated at either 50 or 75 lbs. They may actually exceed some of the bolt ons like those with plastic expanding fittings.

You do want to use black UV rated ones however.

Old 10-27-2009, 08:30 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by pfarmer
Based on the zip ties used it is possible they are rated at either 50 or 75 lbs. They may actually exceed some of the bolt ons like those with plastic expanding fittings.

You do want to use black UV rated ones however.
LOL

To the op If they question it just tell them this is a temporary solution and you have one on order which wll be bolted to the tow hook. But you were concerned about the citation and as a law keeper citizen you wanted to make sure you following the law. If you can talk wihout hesitation he should believe you. nless he reads this board. Than you are royally screwed. LOL

Old 10-27-2009, 08:49 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
If I had to have a front plate in GA I would install the electric fold away plate holder. That way you could flip it out when needed and slide it away when you don't want the ugly plate on the front.

Old 10-27-2009, 12:13 PM
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Sorry but it looks goofy. A OEM license plate holder will have nicer look. Secondly, it is blocking the air vent.

Old 10-27-2009, 12:38 PM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Needs a couple more hello kitty band-aids.

Old 10-27-2009, 12:44 PM
Received 240 Likes on 196 Posts
I've lost a few front license plates using zip ties before. But then again, I've had double sided tape hold a plate to a bumper for years before too...

Old 10-27-2009, 12:56 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Phalanx
Sorry but it looks goofy. A OEM license plate holder will have nicer look. Secondly, it is blocking the air vent.
Agree. If you have to have the license plate on why not just put on the holder? It looks much worse with a temporary fix.

Old 10-27-2009, 01:02 PM
Received 152 Likes on 118 Posts
3M Automotive Double Sided Tape!!

Old 10-27-2009, 02:44 PM
Originally Posted by dofu
I've lost a few front license plates using zip ties before. But then again, I've had double sided tape hold a plate to a bumper for years before too...
You want to use rated zip ties. Most you get at the discount stores are not.

A good zip tie that is acceptable by OSHA as a safety product will have a rating of 50 lbs (or greater), UV protected (generally black), self locking, etc.

If you see it listed as acceptable for this use then you have one that should hold up well for a license plate (as long as it will not be cut).

'Tagout devices, including their means of attachment, shall be substantial enough to prevent inadvertent or accidental removal. Tagout device attachment means shall be of a non-reusable type, attachable by hand, self-locking, and non-releasable with a minimum unlocking strength of no less than 50 pounds and shall have the general design and basic characteristics of being at least equivalent to a one-piece, all-environment-tolerant nylon cable tie.'

Note this is the unlocking strength.

I have had these last nearly forever but they do cost a little bit more than you penny a piece ones you normall run into.

Old 10-27-2009, 02:51 PM
I don't get it either, if by law you have to have front plates why do this and not put the plate in a proper holder that would look much nicer?

After all what are you going to do....cut the ties when you don't want a plate in front only to put the plate back when you turn the corner 'cause you see a cop?????

Old 10-27-2009, 02:55 PM
Originally Posted by bmovie
I don't get it either, if by law you have to have front plates why do this and not put the plate in a proper holder that would look much nicer?

After all what are you going to do....cut the ties when you don't want a plate in front only to put the plate back when you turn the corner 'cause you see a cop?????
It may be something someone would do for show, cut the ties. Will not be needed in the near future when all cars have a transponder reporting their position, speed, and all vital statistics.

Old 10-29-2009, 04:26 AM
lol i dont like the way it looks with front plates mounted. did it as a temporary so the CHP officer can sign it off and then i can take it off. Worked like a cool breeze on a hot summer day (:

thanks for the input though guys !