G35 Sedan V36 2007- 08 Discussion about the 2nd Generation G35 Sedan 2007 - 08

Shame on Infiniti? .for bad TPMS design.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-15-2009, 11:59 AM
Received 137 Likes on 128 Posts
To be honest I've never driven the AWD TL, so I should withold my judgement, the FWD TLs I found way too compromising compared the rwd G. The last TL I drove was in 08 so Im sure the latest rendition has improved. I still think I'd find it very hard to be satisfied coming from a 335i (except for the horrendous BMW reliability issues). I really like the TL interiors and from the back they look really nice, if I just didn't have to look at that front end I'd have a very different take on them.

Old 11-15-2009, 07:13 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Awd

If the issue is AWD (Not TPMS) I have to agree, the TL AWD (looks aside) is a good option. I have to have AWD but unfortunately in my car of choice, the G, it slows the car down marginally. 0-60 in 5.2s is very impressive for Acura and I applaud them for that achievement. I would love to own a car doing 0-60 in 5s +/-0.2s. Options are:
S4 (no complaints here, only my $$$ will determine if this can happen)
335Xi (Not worth the premium in my book, S4 better package)
TL (This is just not going to happen, I dont mind the loss in +/-0.2s to 60)
G35/37X (My 2nd choice although 0-60 is 5.4s, however as an owner of an 08G35X I may be biased)

I have read so much about the TL interior, went to check it out this weekend and was not impressed. I know the G does not have a class leading interior but there is nothing in the TL thats out of the ordinary,step into a Honda Accord and then a TL, if the TL has a great interior I guess the Accords have nice interiors too. Lexus IS, Audi S4 & CTS those are nice interiors

My advice, if 335i is no longer the option, the natural 2nd selection should be the S4. I do agree that coming from a gorgeous 335i to the TL, for now lets say with "interesting" looks may not be a "satisfying" move IMO. Go for the S4

Old 11-15-2009, 07:53 PM
The way I see it, rwd is my preference. The TL's awd, in my book, is compensation for a fwd architecture to even put it up for consideration against a rwd architecture. Basically, I think of Audi the same as Acura. If I were to go with them, awd or nothing.

Regarding reliability, I don't know if Audi is much better than BMW...and, if you're talking S4 and its respective price, then we're talking M3 V8, which may be more reliable than the forced induction in the 335. Isn't the latest S4 back to forced induction? If so, then I see Audi with high potential of not having any better reliability than my current car.

If I didn't care about reliability, I'd probably just buy my 335 after the lease for ~ 28K plus tax. I know BMW maintenance can cost a pretty penny, but the 10K savings over a brand new 2010 G37 might still buy me a couple of major repairs related to burning oil and disappearing coolant; but it's the inconvenience of a major breakdown, having to rent a car, etc. etc. that has me deciding to go back to Japanese technology. BMW/Audi/Mercedes have some pretty fantastic drivers' cars (one day I might be willing to forego 3 pedals for a C63 AMG). After having the pleasure of driving a 335 for a few years, while arguably a superior driving experience, I don't believe it is worth the trade-offs of higher cost of ownership. If BMW wants the 3 to be a high volume seller in the US against the likes of the G37 over the next 10 years, they better seriously consider building in the States and equipping it at price levels closer to the G. Then, the only difference would be reliability.

Old 11-15-2009, 07:59 PM
Originally Posted by pfarmer
He may be ok with all seasons on the Acura 6 MT AWD but not on the G Sport.
Correct. awd with all seasons may be acceptable in the winter to me. rwd with all seasons is not. It would come down to whether the turning and stopping compromise is livable. The awd would make up for the acceleration compromise.

Old 11-15-2009, 08:03 PM
Received 213 Likes on 156 Posts
I have two co-workers who own Audi's. One bought an A4, the other an A5, within about 6 months of each other. Both have had their cars in the shop for most of their first few months of ownership for a variety of issues. The A5 turned out to be a lemon. This was enough to sway me back to the Japanese crowd and got the G instead.

Old 11-15-2009, 08:12 PM
Originally Posted by soundmike
I never thought i'd see the day someone would say a Honda would have a more usable, flatter curve than a Nissan

In any case, i wonder how the G37 would have fared against that TL if they were run on the same day?
I have the same thoughts. I think the quicker final drive ratio of the Acura is giving it some advantages as much or more than the awd.

I think the G may still be quicker than the Acura overall. The 5.4 second 0-60 time of the G was on the same day an *automatic* TL SHAWD took 6.5; but the TL 6MT test article talks about how the 5.2 second 0-60 time cut .8 seconds off their best automatic test of 6.0 (a full half second less than the 6.5 achieved in March - I'm guessing cold March weather slowed down the times of all the cars with summer rubber.

I believe C&D does the 30-50 and 50-70 times in top gear. Automatics will shift down, but the testers won't downshift the manuals. The slower times of the Infiniti reflect the slower final drive ratio (helps with mpg, but you pay for it with slower top gear acceleration).

Anyway, the performance of the two is close enough that I think it may come down to price. Both have their + and -'s. If Infiniti holds their price in 2010 and the dealerships deal about the same, Infiniti will likely win my business, even with ~1500 dollars for an extra set of winter wheels and tires.

Old 11-15-2009, 09:16 PM
Originally Posted by G35leander
I know BMW maintenance can cost a pretty penny, but the 10K savings over a brand new 2010 G37 might still buy me a couple of major repairs related to burning oil and disappearing coolant; but it's the inconvenience of a major breakdown, having to rent a car, etc. etc. that has me deciding to go back to Japanese technology.
OK, I have read that the reliability is terrible, but if its this bad, get the TL SHAWD or the G37. Cant go wrong with either. Good luck

Old 11-16-2009, 07:22 PM
Correct. awd with all seasons may be acceptable in the winter to me. rwd with all seasons is not. It would come down to whether the turning and stopping compromise is livable. The awd would make up for the acceleration compromise.
FYI AWD does nothing for turning or stopping, it helps you get off the line quicker. In fact the added mass of AWD if anything, increases stopping distance.

Old 11-16-2009, 07:41 PM
Traveling Administrator
Received 175 Likes on 102 Posts
Originally Posted by 2009Black
FYI AWD does nothing for turning or stopping, it helps you get off the line quicker. In fact the added mass of AWD if anything, increases stopping distance.
Completely 100% agree! AWD does absolutely nothing when it comes to stopping on ice or snow.......it's all in the tires. I'd personally rather drive my G35S with my Blizzaks than a G35x with AS tires in the winter.

Old 11-17-2009, 12:17 AM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Garnet Canuck
Completely 100% agree! AWD does absolutely nothing when it comes to stopping on ice or snow.......it's all in the tires. I'd personally rather drive my G35S with my Blizzaks than a G35x with AS tires in the winter.
It helps in turning when your front wheels are helping pull the load instead of being pushed, just like it does in the rain. It helps in slowing the vehicle up if the system is in AWD mode since engine braking is distributed to 4 wheels instead of just two. This last difference disappears when the brakes are used.

Old 11-17-2009, 12:28 AM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I think it is a matter of figuring out just how you are going to use the new vehicle. In my case it may just be the only thing that gets me up my hill and on the way to work. Some may think otherwise but this last part can be important in being able to keep certain jobs even if it only occurs a few times a year.

My consideration would be maybe going with the one I really want the rest of the year and then having a second vehicle for using a few times a month as needed.

One may think a set of snow tires may make a 2 wheel rig do everything the AWD does but my experience is that while it can help the 2 wheel machine do better it often doesn't make up the difference and certainly not if one also puts the same tires on the AWD. The only time I had issues this last year which is the worst I ever encountered was when the snow and ice got deep enough for the car to become a plow. I never got stuck even then, but this was the first time my other car had to stay home.

If the front end of brand x is your issue then maybe do some research to see how that can be changed. If the TPMS is the issue with the 'G' then factor that in your cost and if needed into the package the dealer offers.

Old 11-17-2009, 03:03 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by 2009Black
FYI AWD does nothing for turning
Really ? Well it does. When you have all 4 wheel gripping in the corner vs the 2 at the back.

Old 11-17-2009, 03:05 AM
Received 80 Likes on 65 Posts
Honda Accord
I paid 20 bux to swap my TPMS from my stockies to my GT30s.

Old 11-17-2009, 03:29 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I think it all depends how much snow/cold driving is involved. See it this way. You buy a set of snow tire. You have 1 or 2 mild winter and your thread is down to 1/2. Are they any better than a set of new all season tire when they gone to 1/2? Also never talked about the tire noise on some of the snowitres.

Days like today makes a huge different. During the day it goes up to 15 celsius at night it is below 0. Any of you guys have the snow set on already?

I guess it all depends what the condition is around. Winter in Winnipeg is different than winter in DC.

Old 11-17-2009, 01:17 PM
Received 116 Likes on 110 Posts
Wink

Originally Posted by tg1234
I think it all depends how much snow/cold driving is involved. See it this way. You buy a set of snow tire. You have 1 or 2 mild winter and your thread is down to 1/2. Are they any better than a set of new all season tire when they gone to 1/2? Also never talked about the tire noise on some of the snowitres.

Days like today makes a huge different. During the day it goes up to 15 celsius at night it is below 0. Any of you guys have the snow set on already?

I guess it all depends what the condition is around. Winter in Winnipeg is different than winter in DC.
I don't put mine on until the snow has stayed around for at least a week and the temp stays below 10C but I have an X and can live with the A/S tires for a few days in the snow.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Shame on Infiniti? .for bad TPMS design.