G35 Sedan V36 2007- 08 Discussion about the 2nd Generation G35 Sedan 2007 - 08

My G37 experience

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-12-2009 | 09:54 PM
|
My G37 experience

I took my 2007 G35 sedan to the dealership when I notice a clicking noise from the front wheels as I reverse the car while turning.

They gave me the keys to a g37 sedan for a loaner car and immediately I notice big differences in the way the car drives. The car only had 110 miles on it, barely broken in. The biggest difference, the accelerator. My 07 is very quirky and sensitive. It will take off hard with just a little bit of pressure. The G37 has a firmer more traditional feel to the pedals. I like it a lot better. However, the G35 feels like it takes off a lot faster even with less HP. Maybe its because of the sensitive pedals compared to the stiffer G37 pedals which i have to mash further down to get the full roar from the engine. Also, the G37 shifts a lot smoother when I floor it. They have really improved this car in 2 years.

As for the interior, only thing I notice different, is the doors lock automatically when I put the car in gear, and two little LED looking lights by the map lights, there are only 1. Pretty sweet experience to drive the G37 model, I had a good time.

Old 11-13-2009 | 02:37 AM
You can get your pedal sensitivity adjusted.. there was a tech bulletin for that.. some people hate it, some people like it..

Old 11-13-2009 | 06:08 PM
I'm in a G37 loaner now...the door panels are also slightly different - notice the raised edge and different shape of the window control panel insert. The finish also has texture where as my 08 is smooth. The door cup holders are slightly dif, too.

The side mirrors have a slightly different shape, too...and the leather is from a different factory as well and a slightly different color black.

Old 11-13-2009 | 09:25 PM
I like our 09 a bit better than our 07. Like the illuminated kickpanels, LOVE the improved MPG, like the aluminum sunroof deflector. Hate the tires though, the Goodyear RS-As are crap ( I think the RS stands for Really Sh*tty). Also like the new mirror design and the integrated XM (this may have been available in 07 though). The 7 spd AT seems to really accelerate very well, the car seems a bit quicker, and I did a few stop light launches against our old G and was about 3/4 car length ahead at 100, not really enough to matter, but the 15% better MPG does matter. The AT is a bit confused when going through slow downshifts (in the 30 down to 10 mph range) but I know there's a TSB on this issue so hopefully that'll improve that problem. Verdict is still out on the self-healing paint, but I have little doubt it'll be a significant improvement over the chip-happy 07 paint. Hopefully the grill will be more chip & pit resistant too.

Old 11-14-2009 | 10:01 AM
today I was placed in a G37 sedan (900 miles) while having some maint done to my 07, I agree with your assessment on the driving feel. two thumbs up

Old 11-14-2009 | 02:32 PM
i recently had a 09 g37x as a loaner, and the things i didn't like: auto locking, auto unlocking, the indicator light on the dash to tell me my headlights are on, the dials on the heated seats worked well but didn't like the look as much as the toggle switches, around town driving seemed to shift too much (highway was nice), and there was something strange with the main display screen, it wasn't as clear as my '08 with (polarized) sunglasses on.

Old 11-14-2009 | 03:55 PM
Originally Posted by g35xdriver
i recently had a 09 g37x as a loaner, and the things i didn't like: auto locking, auto unlocking, the indicator light on the dash to tell me my headlights are on, the dials on the heated seats worked well but didn't like the look as much as the toggle switches, around town driving seemed to shift too much (highway was nice), and there was something strange with the main display screen, it wasn't as clear as my '08 with (polarized) sunglasses on.
Explain the auto locking/unlocking? I would like it to lock at a set speed but I would not want it to unlock, is that what you are saying?

As far as shifting I think there is a fix for that issue. I wonder about the display screen. Haven't seen it but if the issue has to do with your particular type of sunglasses then I have seen that with how some touch panels work. Maybe they went with a different supplier.

Old 11-14-2009 | 04:39 PM
Mine lock once the vehicle hits 15mph, this can be activated, de-activated by the dealer, not sure about any "unlocking issue".
I prefer the new heated seat switches, but it's highly subjective
I also like the "headlamp on" light, I have mine on auto and my display is set to a dimmer setting so it's nice to know when they are on around dawn or dusk situations.

Last edited by blnewt; 11-14-2009 at 08:33 PM.
Old 11-14-2009 | 05:46 PM
Traveling Administrator
Originally Posted by Rickochet
I took my 2007 G35 sedan to the dealership when I notice a clicking noise from the front wheels as I reverse the car while turning.

They gave me the keys to a g37 sedan for a loaner car and immediately I notice big differences in the way the car drives. The car only had 110 miles on it, barely broken in. The biggest difference, the accelerator. My 07 is very quirky and sensitive. It will take off hard with just a little bit of pressure. The G37 has a firmer more traditional feel to the pedals. I like it a lot better. However, the G35 feels like it takes off a lot faster even with less HP. Maybe its because of the sensitive pedals compared to the stiffer G37 pedals which i have to mash further down to get the full roar from the engine. Also, the G37 shifts a lot smoother when I floor it. They have really improved this car in 2 years.

As for the interior, only thing I notice different, is the doors lock automatically when I put the car in gear, and two little LED looking lights by the map lights, there are only 1. Pretty sweet experience to drive the G37 model, I had a good time.
I didn't know the G37's implemented this. Gawd, I hate that feature in a car!

Old 11-14-2009 | 06:36 PM
Originally Posted by pfarmer
Explain the auto locking/unlocking?
i only had the loaner for a few hours, but upon driving and reaching around 10-15mph all the doors automatically locked. even if the doors were already locked, they still all clicked as if they were trying to lock when reaching that speed.

when turning the car off, all the doors unlocked! i looked for a setting to turn that off, but couldn't find it. i'd think there has to be one, since it seems unsafe? but i couldn't find it and didn't like that feature.

highway driving was great, quiet, and downshifts were smooth, but 30-45mph on side roads, just felt like the car wasn't sure what to do?

i can see where the headlight on indicator light would be useful, but i'm so used to the main display screen adjusting when the lights are on, i found the additional green dash light an annoyance.

Old 11-14-2009 | 08:37 PM
Originally Posted by Garnet Canuck
I wouldn't like to be forced to have auto-locking doors but this feature is something the dealer can program on or off, so IMO it's a great feature.

Originally Posted by g35xdriver
i only had the loaner for a few hours, but upon driving and reaching around 10-15mph all the doors automatically locked. even if the doors were already locked, they still all clicked as if they were trying to lock when reaching that speed.

when turning the car off, all the doors unlocked! i looked for a setting to turn that off, but couldn't find it. i'd think there has to be one, since it seems unsafe? but i couldn't find it and didn't like that feature.
Sounds like they must've been programmed to do that, but like you mentioned, that doesn't sound like a good idea. Our G37 locks all doors at 15mph (since my wife really want'ed this programmed, I don't mind either way)
but keeps the doors locked until we flip the unlock switch on the door.

Old 12-03-2009 | 12:40 AM
love the lock unlock features upon reaching 15mph and turning off the car, respectively..

Old 12-20-2009 | 06:47 AM
I own an '04 sedan and am having 2 of my doors replaced under the rust warranty and I have been driving an '09 G37X for 7 days now (will have it ~3 more days too) and wanted to chime in on this. I am actually very disappointed with the mileage and can't see how there's a 15% increase as mentioned above!? I've see all the commercials about the technology in this engine, but really can't see how it's better. I've been driving the car ~75% highway/25% city all week and averaged 20.9 MPG. I wanted to see what the car is like CITY driving only, reset the computer after highway driving on Friday & have been driving on local roads for the past couple of days...14.9 MPG. SERIOUSLY!?

I will say that I am VERY impressed w/ the new engine & the 7 speed and some of the other features...car is quick as hell, but man the mileage is horrible and I would never buy a sedan that gets mileage like this. Oh, and not a fan of the radio/controls display, the resolution/image quality sucks pretty bad IMO.

Old 12-20-2009 | 08:27 AM
Originally Posted by Garnet Canuck
I hate it too Shane.

My 09 FX came with that feature and you can disable it. I turned off the auto-lock feature the day I picked it up.

Old 12-20-2009 | 10:49 AM
Staff ALUMNI (retired)
Staff Alumni
^so you can enable/disable yourself?
That's great.

One think that was a PITA with BMW is all the optional settings had to be done at the dealer.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: My G37 experience