G35 Sedan V36 2007- 08 Discussion about the 2nd Generation G35 Sedan 2007 - 08

Ethanol should be banned!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-17-2009, 10:24 AM
Received 137 Likes on 128 Posts
Originally Posted by tg1234
Here at the Shell station it say. Regular gas got up to 10% 91 got up to 5% and 93 got 0% ethanol. Maybe you should look into where you pumping gas. Just an idea.
Luckily I only have to use ethanol gas when we take trips up to Colorado & Kansas. Not too often, hopefully ethanol won't hit our town anytime soon

Old 11-17-2009, 10:58 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
yea i actually noticed a huge difference when using HESS brand gas. contains 10% ethanol. My car feels like a dog with this crap gas in it

Old 11-17-2009, 11:20 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by blnewt
Luckily I only have to use ethanol gas when we take trips up to Colorado & Kansas. Not too often, hopefully ethanol won't hit our town anytime soon
Lets hope it stays that way.

Old 11-17-2009, 01:33 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by thelarsky
This might be a good resource for you all to check out - it has links you can click to find the ethanol blending laws in your state (not mandatory in NJ - hooray!).

Link: http://www.e0pc.com/

As for myself, I feel the same way about ethanol blends as I do about organic food - give me the full experience and screw the environmental impact (I apologize in advance to your children's children's children).
I think this is different. Organic food can actually taste better, can be healthier, and is probably better for the environment. Ethanol can cause issues for what it is used for and can b e worst for the environment due to the very thing it claims to be a benefit for - emissions. Just on the energy side of the tracks it can take more energy to produce than what you get out of it. That energy can produce more emissions than the reduction at the tailpipe.

Old 11-17-2009, 09:19 PM
Received 137 Likes on 128 Posts
Originally Posted by pfarmer
Ethanol can cause issues for what it is used for and can b e worst for the environment due to the very thing it claims to be a benefit for - emissions. Just on the energy side of the tracks it can take more energy to produce than what you get out of it. That energy can produce more emissions than the reduction at the tailpipe.

Seems like that's definately the case. If you add 10% ethanol and get 10% or worse mpg then what the hell is it doing (maybe evaporating??). Like others mentioned, seems like the only real reason ethanol is added is to justify all the corn subsidies in farming states.

All those threads on "poor gas mileage", wonder how many of those that are getting poor figures are running on ethanol blend?

Old 11-18-2009, 03:24 AM
Originally Posted by blnewt
Seems like that's definately the case. If you add 10% ethanol and get 10% or worse mpg then what the hell is it doing (maybe evaporating??). Like others mentioned, seems like the only real reason ethanol is added is to justify all the corn subsidies in farming states.

All those threads on "poor gas mileage", wonder how many of those that are getting poor figures are running on ethanol blend?
In the case of emissions you have to consider the energy it takes to process it from planting to delivery. You take all of these processes and you end up using more energy than what the product delivers. These processes have their own emissions (such as tractors, trucks, and so on) and these can be more than any reduction at the tail pipe. And then you have what you mentioned which in some cases can be less mpg.

Old 11-18-2009, 10:32 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I always wonder about this ethanol added in gas... I had a funny feeling I was getting robbed on my MPG... Now it makes you wonder why the Oil / Gas company welcomed this with open arms...if it burns quicker that means more return business...hummmm; record quarter profits for the oil companies....making $$ on the come back

so where do you get good old gas in South FL????

Old 11-18-2009, 12:33 PM
Originally Posted by Eddiesalsa
I always wonder about this ethanol added in gas... I had a funny feeling I was getting robbed on my MPG... Now it makes you wonder why the Oil / Gas company welcomed this with open arms...if it burns quicker that means more return business...hummmm; record quarter profits for the oil companies....making $$ on the come back

so where do you get good old gas in South FL????
You probably are getting robbed. Consider what I said about all the energy used to produce it, where does a good deal of that energy come from? So if you happen to just break even with mpg overall the oil companies can still run more oil through their systems to far offset any displaced by the ethanol.

Old 11-18-2009, 12:42 PM
Red Card Crew

Received 583 Likes on 496 Posts
Actually oil companies are taking a beating last quarter I believe.

Old 11-19-2009, 02:17 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Jeff92se
Actually oil companies are taking a beating last quarter I believe.
Not because of the Ethanol.

Old 11-19-2009, 02:49 PM
Not because of Ethanol and also I believe if one really looks at it that they are not really taking a beating in the sense that their business is simply down in comparison to what it was before the reporting period.

Exxon for example may be posting a massive downturn but keep in mind what the reporting period last year really consisted up. and the downturn doesn't represent a lost, only a reduction from record levels of profits. If I 'suffered' in the same way I would have a new car, new house, and whatever else I want every year, down from maybe 2 new cars last year, two new houses, and a girl in every port.

Old 11-19-2009, 03:05 PM
Red Card Crew

Received 583 Likes on 496 Posts
Of course not. For one, the % that ethanol represents is small. But it's not like they are pushing it as a way to increase profits. Then again the ethanol industry is heavily subsidized anyway.

Old 11-19-2009, 03:14 PM
I have noticed a loss of MPG every time I get gas with Ethonal. I prefer NOT to have it.

its a small % but loss of power or MPG is a problem for me especially when I am paying for it with my hard earned $$$.

Old 11-20-2009, 12:33 PM
You probably got your first batch of winter blend fuel. Despite what this article says, I think it does degrade performance a bit which is part of why you see fuel economy drop in the winter.

http://ask.cars.com/2009/02/whats-th...y-cars-pe.html

Old 11-21-2009, 07:34 PM
Received 468 Likes on 391 Posts
Mass has had the 10% Ethanol fuel for years. In fact, i have no idea where to even purchase 100% gasoline. I've looked, but every one of the major chain type gas stations is selling E10.

I personally don't notice a difference at all, but prob because it's the only fuel i've run in my cars for the last 5 years or so.

I even have a couple performance cars i've dyno tuned with E10 (because it was all i could get) and didn't have any probs before or after the tune.

If anything, more and more states are moving to a requirment to sell only E10 gas. Manufacturers have been making cars able to use E10 too for quite some time, so other than reduced fuel economy, you should really notice any difference

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.