G35 Sedan V36 2007- 08 Discussion about the 2nd Generation G35 Sedan 2007 - 08

Lock your keys in trunk - easier than the interior

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-20-2009, 03:48 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lock your keys in trunk - easier than the interior

Yeah, I'm spoiled.

My other car, toss the key fob in the trunk, close it, the horn beeps three times, lights flash and trunk opens back up.

My new (to me) '07 G35, arrive at airport, toss bag containing keys in trunk, close trunk, think "Oh ****, hope the trunk or door still opens!", realize nothing is opening on this now sealed and locked car. Call wife, sit down for 45 minutes while keys and grief travel to airport, resume life.

I guess I sort of get why you can't unlock the trunk or doors with the key in the interior since it could be the second set left there on purpose, but not locking in the first place sure would be nice! I knew I could start the car with the key in the trunk, but apparently that's where it ends.

My '03 G35 had issues with randomly locking that I learned to be cautious of, but apparently I've got more to learn once again.

Old 11-20-2009, 03:56 PM
really?? I did this couple times just to show my friends and it opens every time.

Old 11-20-2009, 04:20 PM
yeb, the trunk shouldn't be locked if the key is in the trunk...may be the previous owner changed the setting somewhere?

Old 11-20-2009, 05:31 PM
My coupe would not engage the trunk lock if a key is trapped inside. But it does that without any indication. If you are not aware of that, you think the lock is acting up and continue slamming it down. Bimmers do it better by beeping.

Old 11-20-2009, 06:01 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
it seems there has to be a progression for that to work on mine. if you are in the car, then get out and lock the doors, then open the trunk and close it w/ the key in there, itl re-open.

Old 11-20-2009, 08:20 PM
Yeap somthing is wrong with your car. Take it to the dealer. It should not happen.

Old 11-21-2009, 04:07 AM
my 07 did this .. and i called AAA. so this isnt normal ?

Old 11-21-2009, 07:25 AM
You guys had me doubting myself, wondering if the trunk was actually unlatched the whole time!

Last night I tossed my keys in the trunk a couple times and each time the trunk locked and stayed locked. As you might imagine, this brought howls of laughter and ridicule from my SO and kids, wondering if I enjoyed the previous night so much I wanted to repeat.

I did this with the doors unlocked, with the doors locked with the fob and with the doors locked with the button on the outside of the driver's door, and in every case the trunk latched, stayed latched and couldn't be released with any of the exterior buttons. The trunk lid was definitely locked - I tried to lift it as well.

This isn't a user defined setting somehow in the setup menu is it?

Looks like this will be on my list of repairs I guess..... thanks to all for clearing this up!

Old 11-21-2009, 12:30 PM
Originally Posted by evolver
My coupe would not engage the trunk lock if a key is trapped inside. But it does that without any indication. If you are not aware of that, you think the lock is acting up and continue slamming it down. Bimmers do it better by beeping.
Mine beeps when u close the trunk with the fob inside. The beeping doesn't stop until you close the trunk again.

Old 11-21-2009, 01:40 PM
1) next time u wanna try this trick....take the mechanical key OUT and throw the remote in, that way if it locks, ur still ok

2) it shouldnt EVER lock....if the key is in the trunk it should pop right back up, unless something was obstructing the signal

3) little glitch, if the car is locked and you try the key trick, the trunk will open. If you try the key trick while the car is unlocked, wont open. Scared me at first until i realized the car was open

Old 11-21-2009, 03:11 PM
Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
is the button in the glove box on? i guess that might override the keyfob signal.

Old 11-21-2009, 03:21 PM
With the key in the trunk couldn't you just have hit the button on the doors to unlock and hit the manual trunk to open the trunk??

Old 11-21-2009, 03:39 PM
I tried to play w/ this thing today and it seems that if you lock your car using your key WHILE the key is in the trunk then you can close the trunk.

Edit: Hmmm, I just try it again w/ both the Altima and the G and it seems that I cannot close the trunk at all. I'm not sure what I did this morning that it allowed me to close the trunk.

Last edited by gooddeal2; 11-21-2009 at 03:55 PM.
Old 11-21-2009, 04:19 PM
Ok I tried it and I can lock my fob in the trunk. LOL Good thing I tried it. Doors locked and throw the fob in and close the trunk with no issue. Tried to open the trunk and doors by pushing the buttoms nothing it was locked. I had to get my other fob to open it.

Interesting. Anyone else wants to try it?

Make sure you have the other key!!!! LOL

Old 11-21-2009, 07:19 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by tg1234
Ok I tried it and I can lock my fob in the trunk. LOL Good thing I tried it. Doors locked and throw the fob in and close the trunk with no issue. Tried to open the trunk and doors by pushing the buttoms nothing it was locked. I had to get my other fob to open it.

Interesting. Anyone else wants to try it?

Make sure you have the other key!!!! LOL
Is there anything in the trunk or is it empty.

There are a couple of antennas that detect key position, one of which is for the trunk. So could be an issue with the antenna (or its ability to detect the key such as maybe its location inside the trunk), an issue with the BCM, and am not sure of this but maybe an issue with the trunk open sensor. If I remember correct if the truck thinks it is open it will not try to open. I believe you should see an indication on your gauge cluster if that is the case but maybe not if it fails.

I would take this to a dealer since if it is the BCM this may be just the tip of the iceberg as far as failure of the BCM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Lock your keys in trunk - easier than the interior