G35 Sedan V36 2007- 08 Discussion about the 2nd Generation G35 Sedan 2007 - 08

g35s and ice

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-01-2010, 04:10 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yea i think he is the first one lol Must be the tires. Im lowered, alignment is off, tires are shot and my x still performed

Old 01-01-2010, 04:47 PM
Traveling Administrator
Received 175 Likes on 102 Posts
Originally Posted by vps221
Yesterday we had a sudden snow storm in NYC. I have an X. Even in snow mode the wheels were slipping. The roads were really slick and the snow was sticking fast. I coudlnt believe how much it was sliding and slipping. I was slightly fishtailing. Pulling out from a stop the slip light kept coming on-with only a little bit of throttle. Im actually disapointed in the X all wheel drive capability. The extra weight and money should at least deliver comfortable, worry-free snow driving.
Invest in snow tires, problem solved.

Old 01-01-2010, 05:12 PM
Staff ALUMNI (retired)
Received 47 Likes on 39 Posts
Originally Posted by rpm&my_G35
I think you may be the first person on this forum, I have read, that is complaining about the X's capability in snow. Get some snow tires. This is my third winter with this car and it is every bit as good, in snow and ice, as the two SUV's I have had in the past. (as long as the snow is now more than ~6" deep )
^WHS +1
Just because it's an X doesn't mean you can ignor a proper winter setup.

Old 01-01-2010, 05:12 PM
Rated M

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
^+1

no car will deliver comfortable worry free winter driving without snow/ice tires.

Even with snow tires one can always expect some slipping in extreme conditions no matter the weight or cost of any vehicle.

Old 01-01-2010, 05:24 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
after 1 snow storm, i said f it and bought a set of winter tires.

Old 01-04-2010, 12:37 AM
Originally Posted by vps221
Yesterday we had a sudden snow storm in NYC. I have an X. Even in snow mode the wheels were slipping. The roads were really slick and the snow was sticking fast. I coudlnt believe how much it was sliding and slipping. I was slightly fishtailing. Pulling out from a stop the slip light kept coming on-with only a little bit of throttle. Im actually disapointed in the X all wheel drive capability. The extra weight and money should at least deliver comfortable, worry-free snow driving.
1) your drive wheels have very little to do with sliding. When you're sliding, it's generally all because of the lack of decently performing rubber.
2) slip light - the slip light comes on to let you know you're slipping. This is not a bad thing. You want to know when you're slipping. And once again, the primary factor with regard to slipping is rubber (although engine power has something to do with it here, and yes, the G's AWD system is not 50/50 or 60f/40r like many other conventional AWDs, so you will probably see the slip light more due to the power going to the rear wheels, but remember, the AWD will transfer power forward when necessary)
3) fishtailing is a GOOD thing. It gives you immediate feedback as to the conditions of the road. learn to control your fishtailing and use it to your advantage. i.e. don't be scared of it. respect it and learn how to recover from it though.

Old 01-04-2010, 12:52 AM
I moved to the midwest from las vegas. I have michelins pilot sport ps2
on my car. When the snow hit christmas eve, I left the office at noon very scary
30 min drive. i couldn't go faster than 15-20 and the slip light was on all the time.
I spent the whole trip looking for a place to park my car. When I finally got to my neighborhood I couldn't get up the hill so I parked it on the street and walked the half
mile home. I dug it out on tuesday and was able to get home only to get stuck in a perfectly flat driveway. I has to use some old floormats I had in the garage uder the wheels. It is in the garage now and will stay there till march. Will winter tires really
make that big of a difference.

Old 01-04-2010, 12:56 AM
Originally Posted by archman44
on my car. When the snow hit christmas eve, I left the office at noon very scary
30 min drive. i couldn't go faster than 15-20 and the slip light was on all the time.
I spent the whole trip looking for a place to park my car. When I finally got to my neighborhood I couldn't get up the hill so I parked it on the street and walked the half
mile home. I dug it out on tuesday and was able to get home only to get stuck in a perfectly flat driveway. I has to use some old floormats I had in the garage uder the wheels. It is in the garage now and will stay there till march. Will winter tires really
I live in the Twin Cities, MN. We got a pretty good amount of snow and ice on the roads christmas weekend followed by sub-zero (fahrenheit) temps so our side roads are basically packed snow and ice. I've been driving RWD for about 8 years now and always put winters on and have had zero problems driving around here.

Yes, winter tires make a HUGE HUGE HUGE difference. Just don't be stupid.

Old 01-04-2010, 06:54 AM
Rated M

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by archman44
Yes, you're driving on hockey pucks. I had driven my coupe on the summer PS2's. The car had a hard time moving forward on level surface with a couple of inches of snow. It certainly wouldn't stop either.

My X on Blizzak WS60's is like a tank.

Old 01-04-2010, 10:30 AM
Received 116 Likes on 110 Posts
Question

Why is it so easy to convince people that summer tires provide better traction and handling than all season tires, in summer but it is so difficult to convince people that winter tires are better than all season tires, in winter (on snow, ice and even cold bare pavement)?

Old 01-04-2010, 10:45 AM
Traveling Administrator
Received 175 Likes on 102 Posts
^ I have no idea whatsoever, it amazes me.

Old 01-04-2010, 12:26 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Last year was my 1st year using proper snow and ice tires and the best part about it was learning how much better they are in the snow and ice!

Trying to use summer tires in winter conditions is just like archman44 describes: pretty scary.

Old 01-06-2010, 10:43 AM
Old 01-06-2010, 06:03 PM
Received 98 Likes on 82 Posts
is it good enough to get winter tires in the rear on my RWD or does it have to be on all 4 corners to perform in the snow?

Old 01-06-2010, 07:18 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
^ you definitely should have winter tires on all four wheels. Remember all your steering and most of your braking is done with fronts. You need traction for these functions too.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: g35s and ice