G35 Sedan V36 2007- 08 Discussion about the 2nd Generation G35 Sedan 2007 - 08

coming from a BMW--few questions about the G

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-21-2010, 12:17 AM
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by greg_atlanta
The springs and the sway bars are the SAME on journey and sport models. The sport has stiffer rear shocks, a different steering ratio, and staggered wheel/tire sizes (wider in back gives a slightly different feel around curves and a little more grip during heavy acceleration). The journey is not cushy by any means.

If you're driving 24K miles/year you'd save $$ in tire replacement costs with the journey (17" tires are cheap, and same size front and back means you can rotate and prolong life). On sport you can only rotate side-to-side (dismount/remount on directional tires) and the higher performance tires will usually wear out faster. Sport package could double your tire replacement cost over time.

BMW sport seats are MUCH more comfortable than G sport seats, so try before you buy (even if it means sitting in the car in a parking lot for an hour). The journey seats are nothing special, but they get the job done.
The 330 with sport package has the wider rear wheels/tires as well so I am used to that.

I will definitely drive a sport, non-sport and an X before I buy one. I have to admit, I am attracted to the subtle styling differences of the sport model as well.

Old 01-21-2010, 12:25 AM
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Dealer mechanic? Or independent? Any wisdom from the mechanic on the 15K+ oil change interval?

I thought BMW transmissions were better than average (sourced from GM, I think). Not true?

I wanted a 3-series but decided it was too small -- and afraid of run-flat tire headaches and cost.
My mechanic is an independent who worked for the local dealership for many years. He recommends a 10k mile interval--I just do an extra one half way through the 15k period my self.

1999 to 2001 were the worst years for the BMW transmission. The problem is with a poorly engineered reverse ring of some kind--problem occurs with the GM and the German trannys--the ring breaks and reverse goes away. There is a website called noreverse.org.

Run-flat tires, no spare and no dip stick are 3 more reasons I won't be getting a newer 3 series. My mechanic says the electrical/computer systems are so complex they drive up the cost of any repairs. He says they are awesome cars--just don't drive one without a warranty unless you are loaded.

Last edited by Rollo; 01-21-2010 at 11:56 PM.
Old 01-21-2010, 12:30 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The springs and the sway bars are the SAME on journey and sport models. The sport has stiffer rear shocks, a different steering ratio, and staggered wheel/tire sizes (wider in back gives a slightly different feel around curves and a little more grip during heavy acceleration). The journey is not cushy by any means.

If you're driving 24K miles/year you'd save $$ in tire replacement costs with the journey (17" tires are cheap, and same size front and back means you can rotate and prolong life). On sport you can only rotate side-to-side (dismount/remount on directional tires) and the higher performance tires will usually wear out faster. Sport package could double your tire replacement cost over time.

BMW sport seats are MUCH more comfortable than G sport seats, so try before you buy (even if it means sitting in the car in a parking lot for an hour). The journey seats are nothing special, but they get the job done.
Nope! The springs and sways are diffrent from Journey and Sports Models! Sport Models come with Bigger Sways, Bigger Brakes, Stiffer vavling In Shocks, and Springs proably have a little stiffer rate. Thats is why the Base and Jouney models ride is a little softer and more forgiving over bumps than a Sport model one does.

Old 01-21-2010, 05:21 AM
Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts
The 07+ are a lot different and better compared to 03-06 except curb weight. Check link to see differences. https://g35driver.com/forums/engine-...t-gen-g35.html
I thought BMW transmissions were better than average (sourced from GM, I think). Not true?
True as far as I know back in the early 90s. Have some people come by the shop with late 80s, early 90s BMWs and Chilton says they are. They had a lifetime fluid transmission and no dipstick. Just poured an additive to stop slipping and sold them.

Last edited by Andrei; 01-21-2010 at 05:29 AM.
Old 01-21-2010, 09:32 AM
Received 116 Likes on 110 Posts
Originally Posted by johnnyzee
wow, no idea it fared that well to the RWD G.
It's great, isn't it. (it's the article the S drivers don't want us to know about, j/k). Now imagine how the road test comparison might have been if the X was lowered and had a similar suspension and brakes like the S.
Sorry for going OT.

Old 01-21-2010, 05:40 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2008 G35 Journey Sedan no sunroof
Originally Posted by 808MIKE
Nope! The springs and sways are diffrent from Journey and Sports Models!
If the springs and sways were different between Journey and Sport, they would have different part numbers. They don't.

Only X models have different part numbers for springs and sways.

This question has come up many times here and on other forums, and the consensus is that there is no difference in springs and sways on 2WD models.

complete OEM catalog at: http://www.infinitipartsusa.com

Old 01-21-2010, 09:18 PM
Rated M

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Great answers guys. G/l with the choice rollo.

Old 01-24-2010, 01:00 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have a soon to be 16 yr old daugher and an 07 6mt. A few thoughts..

The car seems pretty bulletproof -I am the orig. owner. 60k miles and the car has been to the dealer twice - once for a few TSBs and once to upgrade the nav.

I too had a WRX !!! (2002) sank many $$ into uppipe, downpipe, suspension, etc. and the G still seemed to performed better. Tranny is MUCH better than the subie. Clutch is tricky.

If I teach the daugher(s) to drive the manual in this car - they can drive a stick in ANY other car.

Beware of boyfriends that know dad has a G. If I had this car at that age I would probably not be here now.

Old 01-24-2010, 02:15 AM
Received 55 Likes on 49 Posts
Has anyone compared a journey to a journey/sport or sport 6mt to see if there was a ride height difference?

Has anyone measured the diameter difference (if any) of the journey versus the sport sway bars?

I have a hard time believing that a "sport tuned suspension" (per the sport package description on Infiniti.com) merely involves a different strut with the same spring/sway bar.

Old 01-24-2010, 04:41 PM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Rollo
I will definitely drive a sport, non-sport and an X before I buy one. I have to admit, I am attracted to the subtle styling differences of the sport model as well.
Don't forget the XS as well then.... all the go of the X and the show of the S

BTW previous WRX owner here as well (STi) that was a rocket, but in reality the G I have is only a few ticks slower than that was. The G inspires more confidence in most situations. I can't wait to get some stickier summer tires on it

Old 01-25-2010, 07:53 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You may want to hold on to your Bimmer one more year and look at the 2008 G35xS. 2008 was the 1st year Infiniti offered a sport package with the X. You get sport seats, front end and 18" wheels. Because it's 4 wheel drive you won't get staggered wheels/tires. But you will be able to rotate your tires which will help prolong their life. Been enjoying it since I picked it up new in the summer of 2008. A really nice ride.

Originally Posted by Rollo
You guys are so nice...all these replies and not a single person directing me to search first...

I am leaning toward the S to some extent because of the seats. I love the seats in my sport pkg BMW and the S seats look similarly supportive. However, I would consider an X if I see an exceptional one for an exceptional price (I read that article excerpted above as part of my earlier research). My recollection of that 03 (non-sport) G I drove was that the handling was superb--of course I was driving a Lincoln LS at the time so my "handling" expectations were probably lower.

My daughter is lucky--and has no idea how lucky. My 330i will have around 145000 miles on it when I give it to her--but those are mostly highway miles and I maintain it meticulously. The thing is, I can't buy her anything nearly as safe for the money I could get if I sold the BMW.

The 330 has AMAZING brakes, traction control, stability control, front and side air bags, and is a 4000 pound car. AND, I know how it has been maintained for the past 100k miles. That being said, she will never be able to appreciate how awesome that car is and that makes me a little sad. I also hope to keep my G until my 9 year old son is 16 so he can have it.

thanks again for the most excellent, informative and friendly conversation.

R