G35 Sedan V36 2007- 08 Discussion about the 2nd Generation G35 Sedan 2007 - 08

07 G35 Sedan 6MT Transmission Fluid

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-22-2011, 04:38 PM
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
I will get you the part number when i get home since I just change mine last Friday, however the Nissan dealer claims it's Royal Purple that the part number calls for. Either way i will post the part# and you can decide. I'm at work now and won't be home for another 40 mins or so

Old 02-23-2011, 09:53 AM
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
You guys know how many miles it should be changed at?

It seems to be a bit obscure in the maintenance schedules.

Old 02-23-2011, 10:52 AM
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
According to the service manual it should be inspected every 15k miles and technically never needs replacement. It's up to you how often you want to change it.... I like to do it every 30k.

Old 02-23-2011, 01:16 PM
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
Book says to change every 30K miles

Old 04-16-2011, 08:04 PM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
yes, it's every 30 k miles.

i will say that my experience with nissan trannies is that if you find a fluid that works well, you should stick with it. i made the mistake of thinking gear oil was gear oil with an old 240sx 5 speed. it had 150k on it before i tried pennsoil synchromesh oil. as soon as i put it in, that tranny shifted better than it ever did when the car was new.

i believe synchromesh is a domestic gear oil specified primarily in cases where brass parts in the transmission might be attacked by other gear oils. whatever. i had read in forums that synchromesh was working for a lot of people in 240 trannies so gave it a try and should have tried it long before.

if most folks on this forum are getting best results from OEM lube, i would stick with that.

edit: you HAVE to stick with what's specified in the manual for warranty covereage to remain in effect.

Last edited by ampsucker; 04-17-2011 at 09:35 AM.
Old 04-16-2011, 11:58 PM
Received 184 Likes on 159 Posts
OEM ftw! the nissan MTF 75w85 is working great for me with no grinding, clunking etc

Old 10-24-2012, 12:54 PM
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Bump!

Changed my Manual Transmission Fluid with Amsoil and I am experiencing slightly rougher shifts. Especially, 1-2 shifts.

athelaw915 - Have you swapped back to OEM? Did the shifting get better?

Thanks

Old 10-24-2012, 06:09 PM
Received 427 Likes on 368 Posts
Originally Posted by OMG35S
Bump!

Changed my Manual Transmission Fluid with Amsoil and I am experiencing slightly rougher shifts. Especially, 1-2 shifts.

Thanks
That post was two and a half years ago!

Did you by any chance overfill the tranny case? That can cause sticky shifts too. It can happen sometimes when folks can't get/keep the car level and still get under it while they fill it. Do you recall both how much you drained from the case and how much you added back?

Old 10-24-2012, 06:30 PM
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by vqsmile
That post was two and a half years ago!

Did you by any chance overfill the tranny case? That can cause sticky shifts too. It can happen sometimes when folks can't get/keep the car level and still get under it while they fill it. Do you recall both how much you drained from the case and how much you added back?
I like to search before I repeat the same question. It also helps that others have had similar issues so I can see what has worked and what hasn't.

Yeah, I read in the FSM that overfilling can cause hard shifts. I had the car on 4 jack stands at the same height on a pretty level parking lot. I did overfill and I let all the oil spill out for about a good 15minutes until it stopped. Then I torqued the drain plug to spec and went for a test drive. I can't recall exactly how much went in or out. I did my diff, mt, engine oils all at once with the same pan. Also, thanks to the finicky transfer pump, I ended up spilling some. I would say anywhere in between 3 - 3 1/2 quarts went in. I still had some left over in the fourth quart bottle. Some spilled from the transfer pump and I let a good amount leak out of the drain plug.

Seems like there's a good amount of people here that used aftermarket fluids and had to revert back to OEM. I also had the hard 1-2 shift before changing my oil. I thought that a better quality aftermarket oil would help. I'm thinking about even changing out the differential oil back to OEM. It's hard to tell whether or not the oil is doing a good job in the differential?...

I'm surprised that such a high leading company like amsoil won't work in our transmissions. I guess some parts require a very specific oil blend.

Old 10-24-2012, 07:51 PM
I like to search before I repeat the same question. It also helps that others have had similar issues so I can see what has worked and what hasn't.

Yeah, I read in the FSM that overfilling can cause hard shifts. I had the car on 4 jack stands at the same height on a pretty level parking lot. I did overfill and I let all the oil spill out for about a good 15minutes until it stopped. Then I torqued the drain plug to spec and went for a test drive. I can't recall exactly how much went in or out. I did my diff, mt, engine oils all at once with the same pan. Also, thanks to the finicky transfer pump, I ended up spilling some. I would say anywhere in between 3 - 3 1/2 quarts went in. I still had some left over in the fourth quart bottle. Some spilled from the transfer pump and I let a good amount leak out of the drain plug.

Seems like there's a good amount of people here that used aftermarket fluids and had to revert back to OEM. I also had the hard 1-2 shift before changing my oil. I thought that a better quality aftermarket oil would help. I'm thinking about even changing out the differential oil back to OEM. It's hard to tell whether or not the oil is doing a good job in the differential?...

I'm surprised that such a high leading company like amsoil won't work in our transmissions. I guess some parts require a very specific oil blend.
Well, your method sounds perfectly sound. However, the listed tranny capacity is only supposed to be 3-1/8 quarts, and since it usually doesn't all drain out 100%, it really shouldn't take much over 3 quarts. If you've got a pretty good dent in that 4th quart, you may want to revisit the notion unless you're pretty comfortable you can account for it in losses during refill. I had my 6MT swapped under warranty for 5 - 6 synchro issues at just about 45K miles. I changed the oil at 30K to Redline MT-90 and wasn't particularly happy with it's shifting performance either. IDK if that had anything to do with the synchro issue down the road, but just to be safe, I decided to just run the OEM oil in the new tranny from here on out. I have since noticed though that Redline is recommending their MT-85 for Nissan 350Z and 370Z trannys. Also, I wouldn't worry too much about diff oil though; the demands there are far simpler than in your tranny.

Old 10-25-2012, 11:46 AM
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
I've been using MT-85 for a few years now with no problems... like butter

Old 10-26-2012, 07:42 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bump!

Thanks
I swapped back to oem a while back and it does shift a lot better than amsoil. No more hard shifting from 1st to 2nd. I would stick with OEM as far as tranny fluid goes.

Old 10-26-2012, 08:23 PM
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
I'd read on several forums that others have had issues with tranny oil other than the Infinity/Nissan OEM product, and I used the OEM product for that reason. I have had no issues whatsoever.

I change tranny and rear end oil every 30K.

Old 04-30-2014, 04:48 AM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
regarding diff oil, i would think it's important to use the correct fluid with the correct additive pack due to the limited slip components in the VLSD.

Old 05-03-2014, 06:44 PM
Originally Posted by ampsucker

regarding diff oil, i would think it's important to use the correct fluid with the correct additive pack due to the limited slip components in the VLSD.
Well, you might think so, but in actuality the limited slip is a sealed unit within the diff housing, so the fluids never mix and there's no additives needed. Just use a decent GL5 grade gear oil of the right weight and you're good.

Here's the factory spec for diff fluid:

Genuine NISSAN Differential Oil Hypoid Super
GL-5 80W-90 or API GL-5, Viscosity SAE 80W-90
For hot climates, viscosity SAE 90 is suitable for ambient temperatures above 0°C (32°F).

The following users liked this post:
ampsucker (05-04-2014)

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 07 G35 Sedan 6MT Transmission Fluid