G35 Sedan V36 2007- 08 Discussion about the 2nd Generation G35 Sedan 2007 - 08

08 G35X no folding rear seat sucks!!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-15-2010, 12:48 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
08 G35X no folding rear seat sucks!!

So my G35X lease is up exactly one year from now. I am already looking at what to do next since it takes me awhile to choose a car.

Anyway, the only real concern I have with this car is the lack of a folding rear seat. It's probably the ONE thing I dislike. The rest of the car fits my needs perfectly. So I was toying around with the idea of a EX or an FX next. I know they both won't handle as well and I will probably hate them if and when I do drive one. I like the FX better but it is a pig with regards to gas. My buddy says I would roll it in a week I also don't need the cargo space 90% of the time. It's that one 10% that really bugs me. Why drive a huge SUV just for a little cargo flexibility.

I am seriously thinking of buying my car out of the lease and living with the lack of cargo space. I am also thinking about the G37x coupe. It actually has a folding rear seat however the trunk is really small. My other idea was 3 series coupe. It has a folding rear seat and better back seat. I don't like German reliability and the car is over priced for what it is.

Why can't infiniti make a folding rear seat and still keep the structure solid.

Anybody have any thoughts?? Am I crazy for looking at a G37 coupe for more space??? sounds funny I know.

Old 02-15-2010, 02:42 PM
I find the lack of folding seats keeps me from having to put things in the car I wouldn't want to.

"Sorry, it won't fit" is a great way to keep the car from being used for helping people move, Home Depot runs, and camping trips. Just my 2 cents.

Otherwise, roof rack. I doubt you'd actually have more space in a coupe and there's no need to be bumbling about in an SUV

Old 02-15-2010, 03:20 PM

Received 32 Likes on 27 Posts
Originally Posted by mossman
I also don't need the cargo space 90% of the time. It's that one 10% that really bugs me.
Sounds like you already did the math.

Old 02-15-2010, 03:54 PM
Ok so let me give you guys an example. I want to get one simple white metal shelf to add to a closet of mine. No way is it going in my car. it would more than likely fit in the coupe or any car that had folding rear seats. Another example would be a mirror, large pictures. I am not talking about very large objects just long ones.

As it stands I am going to have to borrow my friends Tundra for a day just for that. He never complains about driving my car for a day though..

It would make the decision to buy my car much easier if the seats folded. I know the second I buy the car, the following year G will have folding seats. It happened when I leased my 2005 Legacy Gt.

Old 02-15-2010, 03:55 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Here is my take. I am happy without it. Reason. If it is foldable you need more support. More support more weight. Not good.

Also which is the most important I can seat 4 and carry 4sets of ski with a passthru(Me, wife, son and his friend). With folding seat there would be only 3 to carry.

For this reason I love the way it is.

Just think this way If it is that big you don't want to carry it in the G anyways. I have a hatchback with folding seats front rear. I can carry 8 feet long things in it. I would never do that to my G.

Old 02-15-2010, 04:18 PM
Originally Posted by tg1234
Here is my take. I am happy without it. Reason. If it is foldable you need more support. More support more weight. Not good.

Also which is the most important I can seat 4 and carry 4sets of ski with a passthru(Me, wife, son and his friend). With folding seat there would be only 3 to carry.

For this reason I love the way it is.

Just think this way If it is that big you don't want to carry it in the G anyways. I have a hatchback with folding seats front rear. I can carry 8 feet long things in it. I would never do that to my G.

My two cents"
The G is my only car so no other vehicle to fall back on. I could care less about the added weight. I think the car has enough power as is. I am not sure why you would think the folding rear seats would mean no pass through. My Audi had 60/40 folding rear seats with pass through and Ski boot to keep the snow out of the car. It was very nice. I think the 3 series has the same. That is what I want in this car. Now that I think of it, I carried both my tower Infinity home speakers home in the Audi with no problems. The boxes rested on the backs of the rear folded seats with no problems or damage to anything. I am not asking to carry lumber or asphalt singles... The speakers would in never fit in the G.

So I guess I don't agree.. sorry.

I can't bring myself to drive a much more expensive 335xi just to get folding seats. It seems like a minor complaint but it's something I think is important. Since I am leasing the car currently I have lived with it. If I buy the car it takes on more importance.

Old 02-15-2010, 05:06 PM
Maybe you don't care about the extra weight and cost what comes with it but bunch of us do. I rather have less weight and no folding seats.

just my .02

Just get a 335 or a 37 coupe.

Old 02-15-2010, 06:34 PM
I know what you are talking about...but to change a car you like for less than 10% is not smart...only whim.

You have other options...which I have done a few times:

1. Lower the front seat to a near flat postion, cover it and then place the item on it utilizing the entire length of the interior. Tie off using the seatbelt or....

2. use the width of the car - covering the seats and door panels - and place the remaining portion of what ever you are carrying out one of the windows. Gently roll up the window to hold it in place.

I find i can do most anything this way with no damage to my car.

Between the pass thru and these options...if you can't fit it you need a SUV.

FINAL OPTION - for that once or twice a year errand...ask a bud with a truck!!

Old 02-15-2010, 07:38 PM
Received 213 Likes on 156 Posts
The lack of folding seats actually add to the structural rigidity of the car.

In any case, have you considered just getting a roof rack? You can certainly carry your stuff there. I'm in somewhat of a similar situation as you as far as cargo space issue is concerned, so i've started looking into roof racks. Other alternatives would be a small hitch/third wheel, borrowing from a bud (above) or even renting a vehicle.

Old 02-15-2010, 08:17 PM
Received 184 Likes on 159 Posts
After reading your review and need, i would say that the EX fits your bill perfectly. Its not as big or heavy on MPG as the FX and is more closer to being a car than a SUV.

I say test drive the EX and you might just like it.

Old 02-15-2010, 09:01 PM
^That is actually a good idea. As long as the rear legroom isn't an issue.

Old 02-15-2010, 11:45 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2008 G35 Journey Sedan no sunroof
You can fit long things in the car by fully reclining the front seat and laying it diagonally from the passenger seat to the left rear seat.

EX screams mommymobile to me. Just find a friend or two with SUVs/wagons when the need arises. It only costs a few drinks or dinner. Cheaper than switching cars based one feature.

Old 02-16-2010, 01:13 AM
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
yeah, the non folding rear seat really is stupid. There have been about two dozen times in the past year I could have used a folding rear seat. It would also be nice if the pass thru was larger, as it stands my newer (wider) skis leave no room for a second pair.

In some cases the folding seat is good just for putting stuff on top of the seat back instead of the leather.

Suck as when I have to put a set of wheels in my car, or a hand truck, or the Dog.

Old 02-16-2010, 07:50 AM
Staff ALUMNI (retired)
Received 47 Likes on 39 Posts
Originally Posted by tg1234
Maybe you don't care about the extra weight and cost what comes with it but bunch of us do. I rather have less weight and no folding seats...............
+1 I love the current setup.
For me, 4 seats with a pass through is perfect.
I would not want to see it changed.

The problem here is that a car cannot be made that suits all needs.

Old 02-16-2010, 10:15 AM
Received 116 Likes on 110 Posts
Originally Posted by mossman
Ok so let me give you guys an example. I want to get one simple white metal shelf to add to a closet of mine. No way is it going in my car. it would more than likely fit in the coupe or any car that had folding rear seats. Another example would be a mirror, large pictures. I am not talking about very large objects just long ones.

As it stands I am going to have to borrow my friends Tundra for a day just for that. He never complains about driving my car for a day though..

It would make the decision to buy my car much easier if the seats folded. I know the second I buy the car, the following year G will have folding seats. It happened when I leased my 2005 Legacy Gt.
It seems to me that you already have what you need. A car you love and a good friend that will trade vehicles when needed.
Just buy the car already!