G35 Sedan V36 2007- 08 Discussion about the 2nd Generation G35 Sedan 2007 - 08

2007 known issues

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-23-2010, 09:54 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2007 known issues

I have been around here and my350 long enough to know that I should probably spend my time searching, but I am hoping that somebody with a couple minutes to spare might tell me of any known big issues with the '07 versus '08.

I am looking to buy a low mileage '07 sport auto without the navi package. Any insight on what to look out for would be greatly appreciated!

Old 02-23-2010, 10:19 AM
Received 27 Likes on 21 Posts
Some of the interior plastic panneling scratches easier on the 07. I'm looking to get mine replaced with 08+ soon.

Old 02-23-2010, 10:42 AM
Grill pitting that is a hit and miss. But no other I can think of.

Old 02-23-2010, 10:50 AM
Received 184 Likes on 159 Posts
^ that issue is consistent between 07 and 08. The AT tranny is reprogrammed to be more smoother(can be done on 07 by dealer for free)... there is actually a whole thread exactly on this topic with all the differences. Search 07 vs 08 G35 and you might find it.

Old 02-23-2010, 11:03 AM
Yeah I forgot about the tranny. Sensitive throttle. I actually liked that one in my 07 but some people don't like it.

Also the keyfobs were replaced due to the interference with some phones.

Old 02-23-2010, 11:16 AM
All great info. Thanks! It's encouraging to hear there is a fix for the smoothness of the tranny. And no doubt that throttle is sensitive, *** end came around on me in my test drive. But that just made me giggle like a kid with a new toy.

Old 02-23-2010, 11:56 AM
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
I agree with the tranny shifting and sensitive throttle really being the only "big" issue...the only issue I ever had was a shudder at 40mph, tranny was confused which gear to go in. This, as well as sensitive throttle, was fixed with a software update under warranty. The G's pretty rock solid so far.

Old 02-23-2010, 04:18 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sorry for not searching and maybe hijacking this thread but were most people satisfied with the software update for the sensitive throttle issue? I recall some people saying it made the car feel much slower. I have adjusted to the sensitive throttle and actually prefer it that way. I recall some people were saying that the dealers updated their car without letting know (during a routine maintenance) and once they did it they could not undo it...is that true?

Thanks!

Old 02-23-2010, 10:14 PM
Received 137 Likes on 128 Posts
I think the throttle sensitivity also addressed the cruise control issue which is much more intrusive (not smooth when maintaining a particular speed). When I had the TSB done the throttle was a bit less touchy, but the Cruise control was SOOO much better. One other issue on the 07s is the sunroof inner rubber liner (I think they call it a sun-roof "finisher") tends to come loose and just fall out of the sunroof port, easy TSB fix for that issue too. Another issue is the fragile paint, our 07 was very prone to chipping, and unfortunately our 09 is no better (the 09 self-healing paint does work, but the chipping is still pathetic). As much as I love these cars I just hate the paint, and although I know it's a common problem for alot of makes having to use low VOC paint procedures, Infiniti paint seems to be some of the most fragile IMO.

Old 02-23-2010, 10:24 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Ok, here we go...

not sure about the '08 models, but here is a list of (potential) issues with the '07:

(i) The accordian-style moonroof trim falls out. Can be trivially fixed (with double-sided tape) as a TSB.
(ii) Cars with Premium and Nav have issues with voice recognition of phone numbers.
(iii) Grill pitting (like another poster said) is a hit-or-miss thing.
(iv) The throttle tip-in is extreme (think whiplash) in the 2007. There is a TSB for it, but many folks who did it posted that they wished they never had it done (I never had it done).
(v) Like another poster said, there was a recall to replace the key fobs as they could be ruined by proximity to cell phone.
(vi) The '08 models I believe have iPod integration, while the '07 model does not.

Overall, pretty trivial issues. You can't go wrong with an '07 or '08, and the differences between the model years are very minor.

FYI, I have an '07 G35S 5AT that I've owned for more than 3 years and could not be happier with my decision. Wonderful vehicle, stunning looks, grin-inducing performance, bulletproof reliability.

Enjoy!

Old 02-23-2010, 11:33 PM
Received 85 Likes on 74 Posts
Originally Posted by JMZ_blkobsidian
not sure about the '08 models, but here is a list of (potential) issues with the '07:

(i) The accordian-style moonroof trim falls out. Can be trivially fixed (with double-sided tape) as a TSB.
Agreed - Easy TSB fix
(ii) Cars with Premium and Nav have issues with voice recognition of phone numbers.
TSB fix for this also. Mine has been fine since
(iii) Grill pitting (like another poster said) is a hit-or-miss thing.
Any plastic chrome grill will suffer the same fate. Sucks, but oh well.
(iv) The throttle tip-in is extreme (think whiplash) in the 2007. There is a TSB for it, but many folks who did it posted that they wished they never had it done (I never had it done).
I love my throttle just the way it is and would want to beat the meathead that applies the TSB without my permission. BB Grounds make the sensitivity even more fun.
(v) Like another poster said, there was a recall to replace the key fobs as they could be ruined by proximity to cell phone.
Yup, replaced under recall... took 10 minutes during an oil change visit
(vi) The '08 models I believe have iPod integration, while the '07 model does not.
My friend has an 08 and I honestly think Infiniti screwed the pooch on this 'integration'. I like my 07 setup better.... and so does he.

Overall, pretty trivial issues. You can't go wrong with an '07 or '08, and the differences between the model years are very minor.

FYI, I have an '07 G35S 5AT that I've owned for more than 3 years and could not be happier with my decision. Wonderful vehicle, stunning looks, grin-inducing performance, bulletproof reliability.
Totally agree... well said!

Enjoy!
I agree with all of this... my 07 has had some minor issues that get taken care of during oil change visits, but it's been great and I'm very happy with my 07.

Old 02-24-2010, 09:05 AM
Originally Posted by WWK888
Sorry for not searching and maybe hijacking this thread but were most people satisfied with the software update for the sensitive throttle issue? I recall some people saying it made the car feel much slower. I have adjusted to the sensitive throttle and actually prefer it that way. I recall some people were saying that the dealers updated their car without letting know (during a routine maintenance) and once they did it they could not undo it...is that true?

Thanks!
I had the TSB applied by my request, and although I had gotten used to sensitive throttle, I'm very satisfied with the fix. In my opinion, the car does not feel slower... mash the pedal, and it'll move. It's just much easier to control a slow take-off.

Old 02-24-2010, 09:12 AM
They re-flashed my ECU and I hate it so much. I loved the touchiness of the throttle before. The car felt alive. I'd do anything to have that back.

Old 02-24-2010, 10:26 AM
All great info. I'm glad to be back in this community!

I guess I'll avoid changing the throttle sensitivity. Don't like the idea of not being able to go back. Can the TSB for smoothing the shifts be done without the throttle adjustment, or are they the same?

Old 02-24-2010, 04:20 PM
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
I hated the oversensitive throttle. IMO, the car is plenty fast as it is when needed, and having a greater control is a much better tradeoff if much time is spent in traffic (after several jerky near-dings I've had enough). The only way to tell which one suits you best is to drive Gs with and without the fix.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 2007 known issues