G35 Sedan V36 2007- 08 Discussion about the 2nd Generation G35 Sedan 2007 - 08

S vs. DS?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-16-2010, 12:32 PM
You're Despicable

Received 33 Likes on 27 Posts
DS Should rarely go to 5th gear unless you're going very fast and it will eventually go to 5th.

DS is meant to use up more gas, if you wanna save gas just use D and shift like a granny....actually D already shifts like a granny

Old 03-16-2010, 01:38 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Darn it, now I have to take mine in to get it fixed.

Perry

Old 03-16-2010, 01:45 PM
Originally Posted by Defratos
DS Should rarely go to 5th gear unless you're going very fast and it will eventually go to 5th.

DS is meant to use up more gas, if you wanna save gas just use D and shift like a granny....actually D already shifts like a granny
If one pays attention you may actually see that you are in 5th gear before you realize it. There is something else that takes place other than just holding a gear longer when in DS mode. When in DS mode lightly remove and add gas and see what occurs with the tach. You can see this even if you manually select a gear.

What I don't like is that it will downshift and stay in 1st when you come to a stop. If you are used to driving an auto this can get you in trouble when you end up forgetting that you are now in first. To me it would be much better for it to cancel the manual shift when stopped and revert to DS and then allow you to reselect a lower gear at that point.

Perry

Old 03-16-2010, 02:38 PM
Received 116 Likes on 110 Posts
Originally Posted by greg_atlanta
But DS never goes into 5th gear. It should be D$ for all the gas money you're wasting leaving it in DS mode all day. I only use it going down curvy hills when I don't want to use the brakes as much.
I prefer to use my brakes over the transmission, to slow the vehicle down. Brakes cost a lot less to repair/replace than a tranny

Old 03-16-2010, 02:41 PM
Originally Posted by pfarmer
If one pays attention you may actually see that you are in 5th gear before you realize it. There is something else that takes place other than just holding a gear longer when in DS mode. When in DS mode lightly remove and add gas and see what occurs with the tach. You can see this even if you manually select a gear.

What I don't like is that it will downshift and stay in 1st when you come to a stop. If you are used to driving an auto this can get you in trouble when you end up forgetting that you are now in first. To me it would be much better for it to cancel the manual shift when stopped and revert to DS and then allow you to reselect a lower gear at that point.

Perry
That would make it very difficult to use 'manual' to drag race at the track.
(for the few that race)

Old 03-16-2010, 03:42 PM

Received 32 Likes on 27 Posts
A couple of observations (at least in my car):

a) DS will drive just like D unless the car senses "aggressive" driving. DS will always go into 5th gear by default. Try starting out in DS and driving like a grandma.

b) Engine braking in this car is not very effective because it rev matches.

Old 03-16-2010, 03:44 PM
You're Despicable

lol I guess I just have a heavy right foot......

Old 03-16-2010, 04:15 PM

Received 32 Likes on 27 Posts
Originally Posted by Defratos
lol I guess I just have a heavy right foot......
LOL ... D is too sluggish for me and DS is too agressive for daily driving. I'm in M 99% of the time.

Someone would make a lot of money if they knew how to hack and reprogram the TCM in the AT.

Old 03-16-2010, 04:41 PM
You're Despicable

Yeah same here manual all the time

Old 03-16-2010, 05:21 PM
SIETESG

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
when I try and drive my auto in manual the wifey jokes at me laughing that its not stick... "dont try and drive it like it's stick" back to D mode..tear tear

Old 03-16-2010, 06:11 PM
You're Despicable

^ lol poor you, thank god I don't have to hear that

Old 03-16-2010, 10:24 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by G35Now!
What he said
yup

Old 03-17-2010, 05:26 AM
Originally Posted by rpm&my_G35
That would make it very difficult to use 'manual' to drag race at the track.
(for the few that race)
Very easy. When you drag race and auto you just go to the line, place it in DS and then select your gear. On the road when you come to a stop just hit downshift and you will be in first and in DS mode it will stay in first. I think this is a lot better than coming to a stop and take off and then stay in first when you think it is going to shift.

I doubt there is much benefit to manually shifting an auto for a drag race.

What I was speaking about earlier when it comes to something else occuring in DS mode other than just holding on to a gear has to do with torque converter lockup.

Perry

Old 03-17-2010, 10:13 AM
Originally Posted by pfarmer
Very easy. When you drag race and auto you just go to the line, place it in DS and then select your gear. On the road when you come to a stop just hit downshift and you will be in first and in DS mode it will stay in first. I think this is a lot better than coming to a stop and take off and then stay in first when you think it is going to shift.

I doubt there is much benefit to manually shifting an auto for a drag race.

What I was speaking about earlier when it comes to something else occuring in DS mode other than just holding on to a gear has to do with torque converter lockup.

Perry
Agreed but there will always be guys that want to try it. Those guys should have bought the 6MT.

I like the way our manual mode functions. This was my first auto in 25 years and to be honest my hand never comes of the shifter even while in D. It's an unbreakable habit which creates, for me anyway, a sometimes very embarrassing situation...I have pushed into N, a few times, while driving.
Perhaps I'm one of 'those guys'...should have bought the 6MT (but I really wanted an X model).

Paul

Old 03-17-2010, 10:42 AM
You're Despicable

Loool yeah I've done the exact same thing, it sucks when you think you're in DS and want to shift up and by mistake shift it to N!!!!!

Very embarrassing, and I've done it a few times before

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: S vs. DS?