G35 Sedan V36 2007- 08 Discussion about the 2nd Generation G35 Sedan 2007 - 08

S vs. DS?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-15-2010, 03:31 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I've never seen so many retards in one post, holy crap.
DS keeps the car in the power band when driving aggressively, it's that simple.
Engine braking will not kill your engine.

Old 07-15-2010, 03:58 PM
Received 116 Likes on 110 Posts
^nice

Old 07-15-2010, 05:51 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
never knew what DS was and always shifted out of it. This is awesome, im gonna have some fun with it thanks everyone!

Old 07-15-2010, 11:35 PM
Originally Posted by Defratos
Ok just re-read your question VQ.... Letting the car shift by itself in DS will not harm anything, but read what I wrote below:

if you're in 2nd gear in DS mode (hard to tell which gear you're on unless you've gotten used to the car) and you downshift to 1st gear, then you "could" hurt the tranny, by how much I have no idea but it will harm something in there. I've done this a few times while not paying attention and the car just revs up to the red-line and the car gets pulled back because of going down to 1st gear.

On a side note, I drive in manual mode 95% of the time, I like to know which gears I'm in and I like to shift it myself.

I need to put a bit more faith in DS but I just don't like not knowing which gear I'm in, which is why I mostly shift up first if I'm ever in DS and then see which gear I'm in and then downshift accordingly.

This is just my personal preference and as to how much harm you'll do to the tranny I dunno, maybe someone else could better answer this question.
Any true car enthusiast should be able to tell what gear their car is in at all times. You see that big tach on the left side of your guage cluster? use that and the big speedometer right next to it. It's not that hard.

These cars are also retard proof, it will not let you over rev the motor by downshifting at too high of an rpm.

Why would you have to shift up first to see what gear you're in? Use the tach, it's there for a reason!

+1 for a really clean looking ride. Have you given any thought to painting the roof black?

Last edited by steve85; 07-16-2010 at 02:09 PM.
Old 07-16-2010, 08:54 AM
Received 116 Likes on 110 Posts
Originally Posted by steve85
Any true car enthusiast should be able to tell what gear their car is in at all times. You see that big tach on the left side of your guage cluster? use that and the big speedometer right next to it. It's not that hard.

These cars are also retard proof, it will not let you over rev the motor by downshifting at too high of an rpm.

Why would you have to shift up first to see what gear you're in? Use the tach, it's there for a reason!
I agree with you regarding knowing what gear your in using the tach but like some people asking questions said, they are just learning their new car. It would be good of you to stop implying that some fellow forum members are retards for simply asking a question they are not sure about.
What is your definition of "over rev". For me it is driving at the rev limit for an extended period. The G 5 spd auto, in Manual mode, will let you down-shift to a red line situation and stay there. It will not prevent you from shifting 2nd to 1st just because it might be at red line nor will it automatically shift up if you are at the rev limit in any gear. The tach just bounces around at the limit while the engine screams, waiting for you to shift or let off the accel.
Any true car enthusiast does not want to treat his G in this manner. After all it is not a Mclaren F1.

Last edited by rpm&my_G35; 07-16-2010 at 08:58 AM.
Old 07-16-2010, 09:23 AM
I agree, you're being kind of an elitist douche. Why comment if you don't have anything to contribute other than insults?

Old 07-16-2010, 10:27 AM
Help, my car is stuck in manual shift mode!!!

Old 07-16-2010, 01:53 PM
Originally Posted by manns45
I agree, you're being kind of an elitist douche. Why comment if you don't have anything to contribute other than insults?
Welcome to the internet.
You fail at reading between the insults for my contribution.

Old 07-16-2010, 02:00 PM
Originally Posted by rpm&my_G35
I agree with you regarding knowing what gear your in using the tach but like some people asking questions said, they are just learning their new car. It would be good of you to stop implying that some fellow forum members are retards for simply asking a question they are not sure about.
What is your definition of "over rev". For me it is driving at the rev limit for an extended period. The G 5 spd auto, in Manual mode, will let you down-shift to a red line situation and stay there. It will not prevent you from shifting 2nd to 1st just because it might be at red line nor will it automatically shift up if you are at the rev limit in any gear. The tach just bounces around at the limit while the engine screams, waiting for you to shift or let off the accel.
Any true car enthusiast does not want to treat his G in this manner. After all it is not a Mclaren F1.
I'm not implying the ones asking the questions are retarded, it's the ridiculous answers people are giving. People come here to get information about their car. Getting a bunch of inaccurate answers and uneducated opinions about what is and isn't good for you car is just going to steer them down the wrong path, then they're gonna go on another forum and spread the same bs over there.

Over rev: Downshifting at such a high rpm that it'll put you well past redline.

Yes the car will hit the rev limiter if you don't shift it, the rev limiter is there to protect your engine. It wont blow up if it hits the rev limiter, I wouldn't do it on a daily basis though.

Old 07-16-2010, 02:10 PM
"Welcome to the internet.
You fail at reading between the insults for my contribution"

No. You still fail for being a douche. Why not just give your contribution and leave the insults out? Like you just said in your backtracking explanation, hitting the rev limiter consitently won't be good for your car. So for someone just starting to use manual mode, upshifting is a better idea than downshifting to see what gear you're in. Not really terrible advice. This is a discussion forum, not a tech support hotline.

Old 07-16-2010, 02:26 PM
Originally Posted by manns45
"Welcome to the internet.
You fail at reading between the insults for my contribution"

No. You still fail for being a douche. Why not just give your contribution and leave the insults out? Like you just said in your backtracking explanation, hitting the rev limiter consitently won't be good for your car. So for someone just starting to use manual mode, upshifting is a better idea than downshifting to see what gear you're in. Not really terrible advice. This is a discussion forum, not a tech support hotline.
fail again.
you will not hit the rev limiter by down shifting, the car will not let you shift down to an rpm that is ABOVE the rev limiter. Even if it did, do you know an easy way to avoid that? I said it in one of my previous posts. Its that big dial to the left of your speedometer, its called a tachometer, use it. You can even LISTEN to the motor to determine what rpm you're at and should be able to figure out if you should be downshifting based on what it sounds like.

You're teaching people to use a crutch instead of the proper way of doing things.

Old 07-16-2010, 02:29 PM
Originally Posted by steve85
fail again.
you will not hit the rev limiter by down shifting, the car will not let you shift down to an rpm that is ABOVE the rev limiter. Even if it did, do you know an easy way to avoid that? I said it in one of my previous posts. Its that big dial to the left of your speedometer, its called a tachometer, use it. You can even LISTEN to the motor to determine what rpm you're at and should be able to figure out if you should be downshifting based on what it sounds like.
But Steve, I can't hear the motor because of the CD player. What do I do then?

Old 07-16-2010, 02:31 PM
Originally Posted by Rutland
But Steve, I can't hear the motor because of the CD player. What do I do then?
I would once again direct you towards the gauge to the left of your speedometer.

Old 07-16-2010, 02:32 PM
But I was told not to take my eyes off the road. I'm so confused!

Teach me Sensei.

Old 07-16-2010, 02:35 PM
Wow you're such a d1ck. Again with the elitism. It still won't be good for your car to downshift from 2nd to first and rev the engine like crazy. The original advice someone else gave, which you're ripping apart, is just that it would be better to upshift rather than downshift. I'm not saying using the Tach is a worse idea but maybe some people don't know as much about cars as you, again, why be such a jerk about it?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: S vs. DS?