G35 Sedan V36 2007- 08 Discussion about the 2nd Generation G35 Sedan 2007 - 08

Oil Filters (Specifically Purolator PureOne)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-19-2010 | 09:25 AM
Originally Posted by SpecializedBY
I'm a new '08 G35 (Sedan) owner, and I'm looking to do my own oil changes--when the time comes. I've done some Google-ing, as well as, reading some threads on this forum where other G35 owners swear by Mobil-1 oil filters and others swear by Purolator PureOne oil filters. I've concluded that the OEM Nissan/Infiniti oil filter is a mediocre oil filter compared to the two mentioned previously, after reading this post.

I'm personally leaning towards the Purolator PureOne oil filter due to its design, functionality, and value (Amazon.com: $9.95 - 2-Pack). I feel the Mobil-1 oil filter has a very similar design, but is more expensive because of the name branding. Thoughts?

Although one concern I have about the Purolator Pureone was brought up after reading this post: "Engine Oil Filters". Where the writer wrote the following about the Purolator PureOne oil filter:

"This is an interesting filter design made by Purolator. Most of the construction of the Pure One is the same as the Purolator Premium Plus. The big difference is the filter element itself. It has a dense paper/fiber filter element that can filter very small particles. The result of this is cleaner oil exiting the element, but more oil restriction. Purolator addressed this by adding more filter material (more and deeper pleats). After seeing one of these filters cut open, I am apprehensive about this filter. It seems to have so many pleats that it is almost a solid chunk of filter element. It seems like it would end up restricting the flow, more than anything. Purolator has plenty of data on the filtration abilities of this filter and I don't doubt it, but they have no flow data. Even so, I don't see any major problems with this filter. It also sports a silicone anti-drainback valve and a PTFE treated nitrile rubber gasket. "

Has anyone experienced any "problems" with oil flow restrictions due to the extra filter material in the PureOne?

If you are currently using, or, have used the Purolator PureOne oil filters on your G35's, please share your experience. Thanks!
Did you notice at the end of the article Copyright © 1996-2000

Old 04-19-2010 | 04:04 PM
Banned
Well I just did my oil change with the PureOne filter and Castro Syntec Blend. Using a thicker oil for the summer. 10w30 and the car seems to run a lot smoother with the thicker oil.

I'll switch back to 5w30 when winter arrives.

Anyways, the filter is coated with a rough material all over and doesn't look as pimp as the older blue version. Not that it matters because no one is going to look at it.
But the rough coating is probably good for grip when you need to remove it.

Old 11-09-2019 | 07:16 PM
I use the WIX-51515 or the equivalent NAPA Gold 1515. Oil is Amsoil SS 10w-30, 7 quarts total. The car is setup with a remote filter mount and a good sized B&M Stack Style oil cooler. It has made a tremendous difference in keeping the oil temperature down and with the additional capacity of the filter, certainly no worries about bypass valves.

Old 11-15-2019 | 10:44 AM
G35x Base
Originally Posted by chasracer
I use the WIX-51515 or the equivalent NAPA Gold 1515. Oil is Amsoil SS 10w-30, 7 quarts total. The car is setup with a remote filter mount and a good sized B&M Stack Style oil cooler. It has made a tremendous difference in keeping the oil temperature down and with the additional capacity of the filter, certainly no worries about bypass valves.
Do you have the cooler before or after the filter?

ETA: Also, where are the remote mount and cooler mounted? I'm thinking of doing a similar setup on mine

Old 11-22-2019 | 10:44 PM
Super Moderator
Premier Member
Most people mount theirs in front of the radiator.