G35 Sedan V36 2007- 08 Discussion about the 2nd Generation G35 Sedan 2007 - 08

Getting 6-9 miles per gallon on 2007 g35x!!!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-24-2010, 07:14 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mishmosh
What kind of dealer charges to evaluate a problem under warranty?!?! That is almost unheard of. I would call Infiniti corporate for their take on this. I have brought my car several times to have it checked out. 3 of those times, they failed to find out why my battery keeps dying. Never a charge for evaluation.
Anyone have a number?

Old 03-24-2010, 07:18 PM
CLUB MODERATOR
Received 347 Likes on 246 Posts
what is the grade of the oil you using?

Old 03-24-2010, 07:26 PM
sucks to hear about your MPG problem, but is anyone really surprised that the stealership is trying to screw him?

Old 03-24-2010, 07:35 PM
CLUB MODERATOR
nothing to be surprised about. Dealership are like predators, they sense the weak from a mile away. So you always have to stand your ground when you work with them.

OP should have requested written letter from the dealer explaining on what grounds they deny to do warranty work.

Old 03-24-2010, 07:40 PM
Originally Posted by JOKER
nothing to be surprised about. Dealership are like predators, they sense the weak from a mile away. So you always have to stand your ground when you work with them.

OP should have requested written letter from the dealer explaining on what grounds they deny to do warranty work.
I think I'll do that. I'm just wondering whether or not I should bring it in at this point.

Also, it is suggested to get your transmission fluid flushed by 30k. My car has nearly 38k on it now--is this something I should do? It's $229, which is pretty pricey...

Also, does anyone know how I can check the air filters that may be affecting my gas mileage? Any way to check if my fuel injection system is dirty...and is this possible to clean myself?

Old 03-24-2010, 07:43 PM
Received 116 Likes on 110 Posts
Originally Posted by i3eezenotch
Anyone have a number?
If by number you mean MPG City, mine is at 18MPG at the moment although my city driving isn't quite as stop and go as you described yours.
It's 7.5 miles to work, about 5 roundabouts and 8 traffic lights.
I get 24-25 in straight hwy driving.
I based my values on the US Gallon.
It would be around 21/29 city/hwy in Imp. Gallons.

Old 03-24-2010, 07:43 PM
CLUB MODERATOR
Old 03-24-2010, 11:23 PM
Thanks! I am not sure if I feel comfortable enough doing the transmission flush by myself...just in case.

The air filter looks simple enough though--and that's something that should improve my mileage if it's really dirty like the one in the video, right?

As for the seafoam, is that as good a fuel injection system clean as an auto shop would do? I did not fully understand what they did there in terms of the TB and oil clean...but I just had my oil changed so I probably wouldn't be doing that now anyway. How about the TB and the brake booster? Is that something that is important to do? The thread did not explain too well in lay man's terms how to do that.

As for the fuel injection system cleaning with seafoam--is that just pouring 1 oz/ gallon into my tank on a full tank and that's it? Seems too easy considering the mechanics charge like $70 for that. Is that the only thing described in that thread that actually improves gas mileage? And is that as good a cleaning as I would get at a mechanic's?

Anything else I can do to help my gas mileage? Thanks so much guys! I just got this car and I want to make sure it lasts!

Old 03-25-2010, 12:38 AM
Also, can anyone recommend a quality engine air filter and in cabin air filter (do i need this?) I can get at the local pep boys? A link would be appreciated.

Old 03-25-2010, 11:26 AM
as for engine air filter, should I get the K&N or the cheapest i can find at the local shop>? Thinkina bout doing this today.

Old 03-25-2010, 11:54 AM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Go to autozone and they will scan it for free. I had a G35X for a loaner and got 9-10 MPG due to hard driving. The car feels very heavy unlike my 05 G35 6MT.

Old 03-25-2010, 12:10 PM
Originally Posted by IPSECG35
Go to autozone and they will scan it for free. I had a G35X for a loaner and got 9-10 MPG due to hard driving. The car feels very heavy unlike my 05 G35 6MT.
Will the scan be as good or close as the one I would get at Infiniti? Is their free scanning standard or do I need to ask in some special way? lol

Old 03-25-2010, 12:17 PM
Hey guys, here are some pictures of the worse of my two air filters in the car:

I took two angles because one is not so bad while the other is much worse because of the direction of air flow. The back of the filter is clean.

I've never replaced air filters before, so I am not sure how bad these are. Can someone tell me if these are OK, bad, or really bad? Also, if these are bad, can they alone explain my poor gas mileage? I'm worried that if i take it to the stealership, they would just tack my bad mileage to that and won't look further. So I'm wondering if I should just replace the filters and then get another reading before bringing it in to them?

Also, if I replace them, should I ge t OEM, or K&N, etc and do I need to spray air filter oil on the new one? It looks like K&N are like $56 each! That's nuts. Anyway, please let me know ASAP because I want to get this done today if I have to.

Old 03-25-2010, 12:18 PM
Also, can anyone recommend a quality engine air filter and in cabin air filter (do i need this?) I can get at the local pep boys? A link would be appreciated.
Regular filters are all the same essentially unless you go with K&N.

Cabin filter doesn't have any impact on fuel economy. This is a new phenomenon to give your cabin cleaner air.

As to the scanning...AutoZone will likely only show DTCs (Diagnostic Trouble Codes) while the Infiniti scanner will likely show more proprietary info. Either way, the AutoZone scan is 100% free. Another thought, even though your car is new I would consider replacing the fuel filter. A clogged fuel filter could cause bad fuel economy.

Last edited by IPSECG35; 03-25-2010 at 12:25 PM.
Old 03-25-2010, 12:24 PM
Hey guys, here are some pictures of the worse of my two air filters in the car:

I took two angles because one is not so bad while the other is much worse because of the direction of air flow. The back of the filter is clean.

I've never replaced air filters before, so I am not sure how bad these are. Can someone tell me if these are OK, bad, or really bad? Also, if these are bad, can they alone explain my poor gas mileage? I'm worried that if i take it to the stealership, they would just tack my bad mileage to that and won't look further. So I'm wondering if I should just replace the filters and then get another reading before bringing it in to them?

Also, if I replace them, should I ge t OEM, or K&N, etc and do I need to spray air filter oil on the new one? It looks like K&N are like $56 each! That's nuts. Anyway, please let me know ASAP because I want to get this done today if I have to.
Don't even bother paying $56 for the filters. You can get an intake for around $200 used.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Getting 6-9 miles per gallon on 2007 g35x!!!