G35 Sedan V36 2007- 08 Discussion about the 2nd Generation G35 Sedan 2007 - 08

Problems with a 07 G35 Sedan

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-22-2010, 11:58 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Problems with a 07 G35 Sedan

my roommate has a 07 g35 sedan and has recently been experiencing quite a bit of exhaust coming from his car , not the normal color of exhaust more like smoke, upon start up and when hitting the gas pedal, the smoke lasts for the length of the drive not just upon start up and also has a strong burning smell. i checked his oil and on the dipstick the oil looks to be in very bad condition the bottom of the dipstick all in black burnt oil and if you look in the hole where you fill the oil up the cap has black sludge and build up and the inside also does not look too pretty looks to be covered in the black burnt oil. Having had a 06 g35 sedan and now a 09 g37 sedan i know that it does not look like it should. My roommate has told me that he has not really been on top of his game changing the oil, sometimes leaving it for up to 10k miles without a change, he use standard 5w-30 oil.

I already added 1/2 a quart of oil to bring the level up , i ran it and will let it sit a while just to get an idea of how much more to put in.

Can some one please give me on some ideas of what could be causing the smoke/ burning smell from his exhaust, i may have answered my own question though with the description of his maintenance habits and the current condition of the oil but any useful input would be appreciated........i would never treat my G like this

Old 04-23-2010, 12:13 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Just get him to cange the oil and do regular maintanance on the car. Does he changes the airfilter?

Old 04-23-2010, 12:26 AM
Received 184 Likes on 159 Posts
I think its a bigger problem now, however i would recommend starting with a regular oil change and then doing another oil change after about 5-6 hundred miles to get most of the gunk out and then switch to synthetic.

If it is hardcore sludge then he has some serious issues, and a visit to a good personal mechanic for a diagnostic and then to the dealer is in order.

Old 04-23-2010, 05:13 AM
Once owning a BMW and coming from their boards, I know about keeping up on oil changes. First, going 10K mile on non-synthetic oil is a sin; it would have been alright probably to go that kind of mileage on synthetic oil. I don't know his driving habits, but if it is basically stop & go, and only short distances like 5 miles a day then your friend needs to change a non-synthetic oil every 3K; going with a synthetic, you could most likely change it at 5K.

But hey, if your friend wants to treat his cars like that, then he deserves what he gets - crap for oil & a f*ck-up car to boot!!!

Old 04-23-2010, 08:41 AM
Originally Posted by kool_yaar
I think its a bigger problem now, however i would recommend starting with a regular oil change and then doing another oil change after about 5-6 hundred miles to get most of the gunk out and then switch to synthetic.

If it is hardcore sludge then he has some serious issues, and a visit to a good personal mechanic for a diagnostic and then to the dealer is in order.
I agree. Start with an oil/filter change now. Wait a couple hundred miles, do another oil change/filter change. You could even do this a third time. On the last time, switch to synthetic. You could also run some Seafoam to help clean out all the gunk. Hopefully, the build-up will be reversable... If not, I have no sympathy for the owner.

Old 04-23-2010, 11:13 AM
^ +1 he has summed it up nicely i wanted to suggest seafoam as well but forgot its name, you should do the above steps regardless before taking it to anyone, as you dont want the dealer or mechanic to see clear evidence of sludge/negligence. Hopefully you can slowly improve the condition of the engine, then also use another good reputable cleaner which is the BG 44k, if these things cant clean up the mess then your friend has some serious problems....

Lets hope it works out else go to a personal mechanic and get his input first before trying the dealer so your friend has some knowledge of what has happened and whats the possible solutions and if he can at all even try to get the dealership to do anything for him.

Hope it works out G/L

Old 04-23-2010, 11:20 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You also should change the title

To Problem with 07 G35 Sedan owner

Old 04-23-2010, 02:29 PM
Originally Posted by JfromTheBay
my roommate has a 07 g35 sedan and has recently been experiencing quite a bit of exhaust coming from his car , not the normal color of exhaust more like smoke, upon start up and when hitting the gas pedal, the smoke lasts for the length of the drive not just upon start up and also has a strong burning smell. i checked his oil and on the dipstick the oil looks to be in very bad condition the bottom of the dipstick all in black burnt oil and if you look in the hole where you fill the oil up the cap has black sludge and build up and the inside also does not look too pretty looks to be covered in the black burnt oil. Having had a 06 g35 sedan and now a 09 g37 sedan i know that it does not look like it should. My roommate has told me that he has not really been on top of his game changing the oil, sometimes leaving it for up to 10k miles without a change, he use standard 5w-30 oil.

I already added 1/2 a quart of oil to bring the level up , i ran it and will let it sit a while just to get an idea of how much more to put in.

Can some one please give me on some ideas of what could be causing the smoke/ burning smell from his exhaust, i may have answered my own question though with the description of his maintenance habits and the current condition of the oil but any useful input would be appreciated........i would never treat my G like this
JFTB,
Is this one of those "I have a friend who.." stories?
Anyway, park it, change the oil, filter and air filter (Save some of the oil and filter, might contain clues). Then, get it to someone other than a dealership for now and pray to the God of VQ's nothing has damaged any metal bits.

Old 04-23-2010, 05:08 PM
SIETESG

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
+1
to all post above.

then take his G away from him.

Old 04-23-2010, 05:47 PM
Originally Posted by Jon81035
JFTB,
Is this one of those "I have a friend who.." stories?
Anyway, park it, change the oil, filter and air filter (Save some of the oil and filter, might contain clues). Then, get it to someone other than a dealership for now and pray to the God of VQ's nothing has damaged any metal bits.
I would be too ashamed to post on this board if this was my car ...... But thank you for all your input i was thinking of some additive to clean the sludge out I will look into the seafoamand the BG44k

Old 04-24-2010, 01:18 AM
Looks like tg1234 summed up this thread beautifully!! nice job!

Old 04-24-2010, 09:18 AM
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by tg1234
You also should change the title

To Problem with 07 G35 Sedan owner
+1000x.

Old 04-24-2010, 10:49 PM
sludge

Originally Posted by JfromTheBay
I would be too ashamed to post on this board if this was my car ...... But thank you for all your input i was thinking of some additive to clean the sludge out I will look into the seafoamand the BG44k
I know. Some would say your "friend" (I'm sorry, I couldn't help myself) should be reported to CPS for this type of abuse.
Seriously though, I would guess the additive used can be a mortal choice.